No announcement yet.

Intel RST driver and utility will not install on asrock x99 extreme 4 motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel RST driver and utility will not install on asrock x99 extreme 4 motherboard

Hi,

I am trying to install the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver and utility ver 13.1.0.1058 on Windows 8.1 64 bit. This driver is listed on the download section for my motherboard (asrock x99 extreme 4). Here is the link:

ASRock > X99 Extreme4

When I start the installer it says: "The setup program ended prematurely becuase of the following error: This platform is not supported". Why am I getting this error? There should be no problem installing this since it's listed under the drivers sections for my motherboard.

The reason why I want RST installed is to use a different driver for the storage controller (storpor.sys) because I am getting a lot of latency with that driver and would like to try out RST.

any help is appreciated .

Re: Intel RST driver and utility will not install on asrock x99 extreme 4 motherboard

I agree the IRST driver should install fine, but the X99 platform can be finicky.

In the BIOS, the SATA mode is set to... ?

Did you run the INF driver ver:10.0.20_PV installation program? That installs files that identify the Intel hardware on a board (chipset, etc), and should be the first thing run with a new OS installation, before any drivers are installed.

You said you are using Windows 8.1, but Windows 7 requires that .NET Framework 4.5 be installed. I've never had any problem installing any IRST version 13 driver with Windows 8 and 8.1, but that was not on X99 boards.

I'm wondering about you mentioning the, "... use a different driver for the storage controller (storpor.sys)", since the standard MS Win 8.1 AHCI driver is storahci.sys. The Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller driver is spaceport.sys. Do you have drives configured with MS Storage Spaces? If so, that could be the problem.

Comment

Re: Intel RST driver and utility will not install on asrock x99 extreme 4 motherboard

Hi Parsec,

SATA mode is set to AHCI.

I am 95% sure the INF driver was the first driver that was installed on the OS. Could I reinstall these drivers?

I don't have .NET framework 4.5 installed on the machine do you think that that would matter since I am on Win 8.1 64bit?

Yes, I don't know why storport.sys is being used. It is the driver that is indicated in LatencyMon for high latency. I have not configured the disk with MS Storage space. I checked there and there was nothing there.

Comment

You could run the INF file installer again, I've done that myself a few times. It's really not installing a driver, but files called INF files, Information files. They are small files that identity the board's chipset. You won't see any listing in Programs and Features about it, since it does not install any programs.

Did you install the Intel Management Engine driver ver:10.0.25.1048? That should not affect the installation of IRST AFAIK, just checking.

I don't understand why storport.sys is being used. In Device Manager, do you have an entry for an IDE/ATA Controller? Also, what do you have in the Storage Controllers entry?

Comment

Ran the inf file installer. Still have the issue of not being able to install RST

I do have Intel ME installed.

In the device manager, under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers I have 1 entry:
          "Intel(R) C610 series/X99 chipset sSata ACHI Controller 1 - 8D62"

Under Storage controllers I have 1 entry:
          "Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller"

Comment

Originally posted by Munich View Post
            Ran the inf file installer. Still have the issue of not being able to install RST

I do have Intel ME installed.

In the device manager, under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers I have 1 entry:
            "Intel(R) C610 series/X99 chipset sSata ACHI Controller 1 - 8D62"

Under Storage controllers I have 1 entry:
            "Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller"
            That entry under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers is what any Intel chipset board would have in DM if the Intel AHCI/RAID driver was not installed, and is completely normal. It would differ in the name of the chipset if the board was not using the X99 of course.

If you check the driver in the Properties for that device, it should be the MSoft Windows 8 AHCI driver, storahci.sys.

Also notice the X99 chipset was identified fine in that DM entry, so the problem does not seem to be an INF file problem.

An important point I've forgotten to make is since you have not created a Storage Spaces virtual drive, you are not using that controller or driver. You are just using the Intel SATA interface in the X99 chipset, with the MS AHCI driver.

Since you are really not using the Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller for any of your drives, how can it be causing any latency issues? Why you are seeing that from LatencyMon, I don't know, unless that is just an analysis of the driver whether in use or not.

You can check that your drives are using the X99 SATA controller by opening its Properties in DM, click on the Details tab, and then click on the Property line. Below you'll see a long list of properties, find Children and click on it. You should see all your drives listed as the children. Then do the same for the Storage Spaces Controller, but you should not find a Children entry at all, unless somehow one was created.

Also, installing the IRST driver will not cause the Storage Spaces Controller driver to not be in use. They are two different controllers, and the IRST driver cannot be used with the Storage Spaces Controller.

So if you are still interested in installing the IRST driver, let me know. But it won't do anything about the Storage Spaces Controller driver.

Forgot to ask this, but I bet your drives are connected to the SATA ports at the very bottom of the board, that are labeled S_SATA3_0 - S_SATA3_3.

Comment

Thank you for your very knowledgeable response. Surprised to get that level of knowledge from a forum. Thank you good sir.

Originally posted by parsec View Post
              If you check the driver in the Properties for that device, it should be the MSoft Windows 8 AHCI driver, storahci.sys.
              Yes, I verified this.

You can check that your drives are using the X99 SATA controller by opening its Properties in DM, click on the Details tab, and then click on the Property line. Below you'll see a long list of properties, find Children and click on it. You should see all your drives listed as the children. Then do the same for the Storage Spaces Controller, but you should not find a Children entry at all, unless somehow one was created.
              Yes, I verified this.

Forgot to ask this, but I bet your drives are connected to the SATA ports at the very bottom of the board, that are labeled S_SATA3_0 - S_SATA3_3.
              You are correct. It is on S_SATA3_1.

Also, installing the IRST driver will not cause the Storage Spaces Controller driver to not be in use. They are two different controllers, and the IRST driver cannot be used with the Storage Spaces Controller.

So if you are still interested in installing the IRST driver, let me know. But it won't do anything about the Storage Spaces Controller driver.
              Seeing as though you mentioned the fact that my SSD (samsung evo 840) is connected on S_SATA3_1 (which is not a raid supported SATA port) and you allude to the fact that you know how to install IRST makes me believe that I just have to switch the SSD from S_SATA3_1 to a SATA port that supports raid configurations (I could look that up in the manual).

My question to you is: Is there any added benefit to have the SSD (single drive) controlled by the IRST driver versus the storahci.sys driver?

I only started down this road because I did not want storport.sys from showing up in LatencyMon (has largest ISR count, second largest is HDAudBus.sys - from the realtex drivers I assume). But as you mentioned using the IRST will not stop the storport.sys driver from being in use.

Side question: Is it okay to have large ISR counts from storport.sys & HDAudBus.sys do you know? I spent a lot of money on this new computer ($3200) I built and want it to run flawlessly... I like tweaking :P.

Thanks a lot :)

Comment

Thank you for your very knowledgeable response. Surprised to get that level of knowledge from a forum. Thank you good sir.
                Thank you for that! You happened to run into an Intel IRST/disk storage geek, one of my favorite topics. But don't ask me about video cards...

You are correct. It is on S_SATA3_1.

Seeing as though you mentioned the fact that my SSD (samsung evo 840) is connected on S_SATA3_1 (which is not a raid supported SATA port) and you allude to the fact that you know how to install IRST makes me believe that I just have to switch the SSD from S_SATA3_1 to a SATA port that supports raid configurations (I could look that up in the manual).
                Bingo! (I assume a Canadian will get that. Frankly, I doubt this information is in the manual) This... phenomenon with the IRST driver is unique to the X99 chipset, which is the only Intel SATA interface that has RAID support only on a subset of the available ports. OTOH, I have never tried installing the IRST driver without any drives connected to the Intel SATA ports with any of the other Intel chipsets. For all I know, the same error you get might happen.

It's strange that the IRST driver, which is both an AHCI and RAID driver, and works fine with the SATA mode set to AHCI, won't install when drives are connected only to the S_SATA3 ports. My first reaction is it's a bug, but Intel must know this happens. What I want to know is, when the IRST driver is installed with drives connected to the "normal" SATA ports, with and without drives on the S_SATA3 ports, what is the result we get in Device Manager in Storage Controllers and IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers? Will we always have two distinct SATA controllers for these sets of ports? Or do they become one at that point? If we add using RAID mode to the mix, the result must be separate controllers, and that will likely be the result for AHCI mode too.

My question to you is: Is there any added benefit to have the SSD (single drive) controlled by the IRST driver versus the storahci.sys driver?

I only started down this road because I did not want storport.sys from showing up in LatencyMon (has largest ISR count, second largest is HDAudBus.sys - from the realtex drivers I assume). But as you mentioned using the IRST will not stop the storport.sys driver from being in use.

Side question: Is it okay to have large ISR counts from storport.sys & HDAudBus.sys do you know? I spent a lot of money on this new computer ($3200) I built and want it to run flawlessly... I like tweaking :P.

Thanks a lot :)
                Well, SSD enthusiasts (me) use the IRST driver (on Intel systems) 98% of the time. Benchmark tests tend to show better performance in some areas with the IRST driver. There are actually variations in the performance of different versions of IRST (please don't go there... ). Personally, I would only use the IRST driver if I was using just one SSD, or six with none in a RAID array.

Guess what driver Samsung uses when running benchmarks for their SSD specifications? Yes, IRST.

Since installing the IRST driver will only cost you the time and effort to move the SATA data cable from one port to another, you can test that for yourself if you care to.

I don't know enough about why you get the high latency figures from those drivers to give you a decent answer. Actually, that driver is not being used, I didn't see it running on my PC, you're probably worried for no reason. I'm not worried about it.

Comment

Hey Parsec,

Just letting you know that I changed my SSD to a RAID supported SATA port on my motherboard. I was then able to install IRST with no issues. I have noticed a clear difference in the responsiveness of my computer. I then opened up LatencyMon to see if the storport.sys driver was getting ISR counts and nope that problem is entirely gone now!

Thanks a lot for your help on this.

The next thing I have to figure out is with the high latency with the HDAudBus.sys driver.

Munich

Comment

Great, glad that worked for you, although not really a surprise.

I'm really surprised that the default driver installed by Windows 8.1 automatically (I assume...) is the storport.sys driver. I don't know if that driver is just by nature slow, or if it does not work well with the unusual Intel SATA controller/ports found only on X99 boards.

One possible fix for the audio driver latency is to first check what the C State power saving options are set to in the UEFI. Haswell desktop processors have the C7 C state option, which is the deepest shutdown state for a processor core ever used in desktop processors. There is also a Package C7 C state. Both can create latency issues.

These C States might be causing the problem with the storport.sys driver. BTW, since you moved the SATA cable to the other Intel SATA ports, that driver is not active anymore.

If you find and C7 enabled, try disabling it, Auto is usually disabled for C States on ASRock boards. You can also try disabling C6 as well and see if it makes a difference.

Comment

Hello!

I've read all this discussion because I'm in a similar situation like your. I've an Asus P5QC motherboard and a quite fresh windows 8.1 64bit install. I have a data backup(no OS) RAID1 setup and i want to move it from the Asus DriveXpert ports (Silicon Image "SteelVine" Sil5723 chip since is not really supported in this OS) to the Intel RST.

As for now if I move the 2 HDD to the SATA0 and SATA1 ports on the motherboard (on the other SATA2-5 I have other HDDs and the SSD with win8.1) and set it to RAID in BIOS, the system does not boot.

I thought it is because I need to install the Intel RST drivers before but all the versions I've tried gave me the same error (same you faced) when starting the setupRST.exe install: "The setup program ended prematurely becuase of the following error: This platform is not supported"

I've checked the Intel log and this is what I've found:

Scanning x64\iaStorAC.inf (Name: RAID64, Version: 12.0.0.1082)
                      11:34:52:132: Section with the best match: INTEL.NTamd64.6.2
                      11:34:52:132: Device: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104 (Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller)
                      11:34:52:132: Device: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&CC_0104 (Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller)
                      11:34:52:132: MUP OS bits: 0x5550
                      11:34:52:132: E Win32 exception occurred!!
                      11:34:52:132: Error code: 0x4E24 (20004)
                      11:34:52:132: Error text: ''
                      11:34:52:132: Extended error text: 'Error in device matching'
                      11:34:52:132: Debug info: 'Setup.cpp (155)'

do you have any suggestion ? is it possible that even my motherboard has only some SATA ports (out of the 6) those are not for RAID?

Thank you very much for your help!

Sandro

Comment

Your situation is not the same as Munich's and his X99 chipset SATA controller. The error message might be the same, but the cause is different.

Your board uses the ICH10R SATA chipset that has all six SATA ports support RAID. I've used a board with the ICH10R, so I'm sure it supports RAID on all six ports.

In your case, you have several things that might or will be a problem. Most likely you will never get it working:

The ICH10R SATA chipset is officially supported by IRST versions up to 11.x. Starting with IRST version 12, the ICH10R is not listed as supported. The link to the IRST driver you posted is version 13.2.4.1000, which is newer than IRST version 12.x, and does not support the ICH10R. That can cause the failure to install the driver. In the error log text you posted, it said: "Scanning x64\iaStorAC.inf (Name: RAID64, Version: 12.0.0.1082)", which is probably the Intel RAID driver that is included with Windows 8.1. It is a version 12 IRST driver, which is not compatible with the ICH10R.

You can try an IRST version 11 driver like this one, which does support the ICH10R (sorry, English site): https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...ng&ProdId=2101

You may need to install the IRST version 11 "f6flpy-x64.zip" driver manually on the Windows 8.1 installation, to replace the built in version 12 IRST driver.

But, you also have other potential issues that are even worse than the driver installation problem.

All RAID implementations/formats (the way the data is stored on the disk) are not the same. So the way the data and RAID information is stored by the Sil5723 chip driver is probably not the same as the way Intel RAID works. Intel uses a RAID format standard called SNIA, if the Sil5723 chip driver does not, they are not compatible.

Finally, you installed Windows 8.1 on the HDDs with the Sil5723 chip SATA mode set to RAID, correct? But you did not have the Intel ICH10R SATA mode set to RAID, correct? Since you had drives connected to the Intel SATA ports, they are using an AHCI or IDE driver on the Windows 8.1 installation. Once the OS is installed with the SATA mode set to AHCI or IDE, you can't change it to RAID. That is a limitation of Windows and the way it loads drivers.

Comment

Your situation is not the same as Munich's and his X99 chipset SATA controller. The error message might be the same, but the cause is different.

Your board uses the ICH10R SATA chipset that has all six SATA ports support RAID. I've used a board with the ICH10R, so I'm sure it supports RAID on all six ports.

In your case, you have several things that might or will be a problem. Most likely you will never get it working:

The ICH10R SATA chipset is officially supported by IRST versions up to 11.x. Starting with IRST version 12, the ICH10R is not listed as supported. The link to the IRST driver you posted is version 13.2.4.1000, which is newer than IRST version 12.x, and does not support the ICH10R. That can cause the failure to install the driver. In the error log text you posted, it said: "Scanning x64\iaStorAC.inf (Name: RAID64, Version: 12.0.0.1082)", which is probably the Intel RAID driver that is included with Windows 8.1. It is a version 12 IRST driver, which is not compatible with the ICH10R.

You can try an IRST version 11 driver like this one, which does support the ICH10R (sorry, English site): https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...ng&ProdId=2101

You may need to install the IRST version 11 "f6flpy-x64.zip" driver manually on the Windows 8.1 installation, to replace the built in version 12 IRST driver.

But, you also have other potential issues that are even worse than the driver installation problem.

All RAID implementations/formats (the way the data is stored on the disk) are not the same. So the way the data and RAID information is stored by the Sil5723 chip driver is probably not the same as the way Intel RAID works. Intel uses a RAID format standard called SNIA, if the Sil5723 chip driver does not, they are not compatible.

Finally, you installed Windows 8.1 on the HDDs with the Sil5723 chip SATA mode set to RAID, correct? But you did not have the Intel ICH10R SATA mode set to RAID, correct? Since you had drives connected to the Intel SATA ports, they are using an AHCI or IDE driver on the Windows 8.1 installation. Once the OS is installed with the SATA mode set to AHCI or IDE, you can't change it to RAID. That is a limitation of Windows and the way it loads drivers.

Thank you very much for your reply,

I understand that apparently I don't have any way to use my on board raid system... :( I already tried all the older versions of the driver but none of them got installed/has worked. A part from renew my motherboard should I use a PCIe RAID adapter ? is that a good idea ? or an external one (eSata at least to have same speed) ?

Any suggestion?

Thank you again,
                          Sandro

Comment

Originally posted by il dio pantofola View Post
                            Thank you very much for your reply,

I understand that apparently I don't have any way to use my on board raid system... :( I already tried all the older versions of the driver but none of them got installed/has worked. A part from renew my motherboard should I use a PCIe RAID adapter ? is that a good idea ? or an external one (eSata at least to have same speed) ?

Any suggestion?

Thank you again,
                            Sandro
                            No, you can use the Intel RAID system on your board! But you must do quite a bit of work to get it working.

The first and most important thing you MUST do is install Windows 8.1 again with the SATA mode for the Intel SATA ports set to RAID.

If you installed Windows and the SATA mode for the Intel SATA ports is NOT set to RAID, you cannot just change the SATA mode to RAID.

As you saw, if you change the Intel SATA mode to RAID from AHCI after Windows is installed, the PC won't boot. That will happen to ALL mother boards using Intel CPUs and chipsets. That is not just a problem with your board.

If you install Windows 8.1 again with the Intel SATA mode set to RAID, you probably still won't be able to move the RAID 1 array from the Silicon Image RAID controller to the Intel SATA controller, because the two RAID formats are not compatible.

What you could do is, after installing Windows 8.1 again with the Intel SATA mode set to RAID, create a new RAID 1 array on the Intel SATA controller, and copy the data from the old RAID 1 array on the Silicon Image RAID controller to the new Intel RAID 1 array.

Before I write a guide for you to install Windows 8.1 again with the Intel SATA mode set to RAID, I would like to know if you are willing to install Windows 8.1 again. That is the ONLY way you can use the Intel RAID system on your board.

Comment

No, you can use the Intel RAID system on your board! But you must do quite a bit of work to get it working.

The first and most important thing you MUST do is install Windows 8.1 again with the SATA mode for the Intel SATA ports set to RAID.

If you installed Windows and the SATA mode for the Intel SATA ports is NOT set to RAID, you cannot just change the SATA mode to RAID.

As you saw, if you change the Intel SATA mode to RAID from AHCI after Windows is installed, the PC won't boot. That will happen to ALL mother boards using Intel CPUs and chipsets. That is not just a problem with your board.

If you install Windows 8.1 again with the Intel SATA mode set to RAID, you probably still won't be able to move the RAID 1 array from the Silicon Image RAID controller to the Intel SATA controller, because the two RAID formats are not compatible.

What you could do is, after installing Windows 8.1 again with the Intel SATA mode set to RAID, create a new RAID 1 array on the Intel SATA controller, and copy the data from the old RAID 1 array on the Silicon Image RAID controller to the new Intel RAID 1 array.

Before I write a guide for you to install Windows 8.1 again with the Intel SATA mode set to RAID, I would like to know if you are willing to install Windows 8.1 again. That is the ONLY way you can use the Intel RAID system on your board.
                              Are you sure about that? WinXP didn't have a default driver installed for AHCI but you could force installation of the driver then change registry and bios after WinXP installation in IDE mode. Win7 has a default AHCI driver so this process is a lot easier (doesn't need the force driver install part).

Comment

Working...
                              X