New ITX PC emitting green light and dialling-like sound? <ASROCK H81M-ITX>

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New ITX PC emitting green light and dialling-like sound? <ASROCK H81M-ITX>

Hello I'm posting about my weird problem (potentially) with PC and girlfriend somewhat xP So few days ago, we were watching a movie on PC with my gf, somewhere in the middle I went to WC, she paused movie and after about 3 minutes when I came back, she told me that there was something weird with PC and that it "was making dialling like sound (three signals) and after that emitted some small green light on the left side". After that PC was operating absolutely normally like always, no problems. I was like WTF, is that even possible? I heard about some beeps on older mobos when there were some problems in PC (with RAM for example)but that occurs in POST screen, and I never heard about any sound given by PC while working PLUS some green light on top of that...

My question is - is something like that even possible on PC? I think she may have heard something other (outside the window/ from neighbors living upper floor) and just misplaced that sound came from PC actually. More bothering would be that green flash, my mobo is ASROCK H81M-ITX and I don't think there are even any LED's on it.

my GPU is PALIT GTX 750 OC 1gb GDDR5 (no leds)
    and case Cooler Master Elite 110

It really drives me crazy, I don't think this is even possible but then again she was serious when talking about this (still is).
    Can some PC hardware experts look at MOBO/ CASE photos and confirm is there any LED at all that could give this green light?
    There is only standard HDD led visible during use and after 3 months of working on this PC I never experienced ANY similiar sound/light that she mentioned.

Re: New ITX PC emitting green light and dialling-like sound? &lt;ASROCK H81M-ITX&gt;

Please share your opinions about this situation, I would greatly appraciate any help given, if you have spare minute and can confrim is my mobo ASROCK H81M-ITX even have any LEDS on it that could flash? Is there any component that can give dial like sound?

Comment

Re: New ITX PC emitting green light and dialling-like sound? &lt;ASROCK H81M-ITX&gt;

Originally posted by belmont1990 View Post
      Hello I'm posting about my weird problem (potentially) with PC and girlfriend somewhat xP So few days ago, we were watching a movie on PC with my gf, somewhere in the middle I went to WC, she paused movie and after about 3 minutes when I came back, she told me that there was something weird with PC and that it "was making dialling like sound (three signals) and after that emitted some small green light on the left side". After that PC was operating absolutely normally like always, no problems. I was like WTF, is that even possible? I heard about some beeps on older mobos when there were some problems in PC (with RAM for example)but that occurs in POST screen, and I never heard about any sound given by PC while working PLUS some green light on top of that...

My question is - is something like that even possible on PC? I think she may have heard something other (outside the window/ from neighbors living upper floor) and just misplaced that sound came from PC actually. More bothering would be that green flash, my mobo is ASROCK H81M-ITX and I don't think there are even any LED's on it.

my GPU is PALIT GTX 750 OC 1gb GDDR5 (no leds)
      and case Cooler Master Elite 110

It really drives me crazy, I don't think this is even possible but then again she was serious when talking about this (still is).
      Can some PC hardware experts look at MOBO/ CASE photos and confirm is there any LED at all that could give this green light?
      There is only standard HDD led visible during use and after 3 months of working on this PC I never experienced ANY similiar sound/light that she mentioned.
      I've read this several times, and am not sure what actually happened. The best I can come up with is this:

It sounds like while the movie was paused, which I assume is simply clicking pause on the video playback software, not putting the PC into Sleep mode, that for some reason there was a problem with Windows, or software like the video playback software, or the board, and the PC BSOD, etc, and seems to have restarted/rebooted. You did not describe the state of the PC after the beeps and green light show, was the video software still running, or did you just have the Windows desktop displayed, as you see when the PC starts? That is the missing information in this description.

The "dialing like sound" I assume is the beeps made when keys on a phone are pushed, correct? If so, that can only be a POST beep code which would happen when the PC restarted, as in my theory above. Three beeps is a memory error, which may have been the cause for the restart, which was probably related to the video playback.

The "green light" thing could be the LEDs for power and the HDD activity on your PC case, that could both be on brightly at first when the PC restarted. Your case seems to have blue LEDs for power, which could appear as green when reflected off another surface. Plus your GF not being familiar with these things, and the short time it was glowing, could be mistaken as green.

Some boards have LEDs on the board that light up when the PC starts, or restarts. I can't find them on your board, but they could be there. They should glow every time the PC starts. Beyond that, I have no idea.

More important is why the PC restarted, assuming it did. Could be just be a one time software error from playing/pausing the movie, or possibly an over heating problem with the PC. You should try running a monitoring program that displays system temperatures to see if that could be the situation.

Comment

Parsec thank you for interest in my topic, now onto it.
        When I came back and after the "signal and green light" as stated by gf,PC was in same state as when I left it about 3 minutes before, after I unpaused movie, it was working just fine, like always.
        The only bothering fact is that potential dial like signal (same as when you are calling to someone and wait for phone pickup, she said that were 3 signals like those) and this green light.

To be honest - I don't think this is even possible on any PC, there are not any visible led on mobo when turning on PC and only leds that lights are 1 green from speakers, 1 green from x360 gamepad reciever and 1 red on case for HDD access (the frontal blue LED I have not connected at all).
        My theory - she must have heard something other and misplaced the sound to be from PC, also the green light she told to be "on left side of PC" could have been one from speakers (but it is lit constantly) or even she might have looked at red hdd access led for half of second and mistaken it was green as the speakers one that sits actually few cm to left from PC (both in cabinet, as this is ITX PC connected to TV).
        There was pitch dark in room besides TV after all.

Nothing else comes to my mind, as well as users that I ask on forums, I don't even see any LEDS on my mobo, those are rather unlikely on ITX, and I can assure that THERE IS NO ANY INTERNAL/MOBO LIGHT AFTER TURNING ON PC.

Really appraciate your answer parsec, looking forward for further opinions.

Comment

Note that sometimes cell-phones/GSM phones' dialing signals or roaming signals can be coming in through loudspeakers when using approximate frequencies...

Comment

Do you guys agree that most likely and only rational answer for this topic is that my girlfriend was simply wrong with what she got as dial like sound from PC?
            Also as for green light I think only possible source could be from speakers (green), x360 controller reciever (green) OR even red HDD activity LED on case that she could have misjudged for beign green in dark room with two other mentioned leds that are actually green.
            I believe this is only thing that could happen in reality as literally NO ONE experienced the same over whole internet.

Do you agree that is most possible solution?

Comment

If your PC was in exactly the same state it was when you left the room, Windows running, the movie viewing software (whatever media player, Internet browser playing the movie, playing a DVD in an optical drive, etc) paused exactly where it was, then it's clear the PC did not experience a problem and restart, which was my guess.

If the PC had restarted, your girlfriend would have needed to restart the movie and have it paused at exactly the same spot as when you left the room. That is if she felt the need to do so for some reason, but then why create the unneeded story about the light and beeps? That is a farfetched scenario that is no doubt not what happened.

After reading about your speakers, would they be wireless, Bluetooth for example? If so, assume that pausing the movie, which stopped the audio feed to the speakers, but also dropped/lost the wireless connection to the speakers. I doubt the wireless connection would be dropped, but if it did for whatever reason, would the speakers search for another signal to connect to, and beep or flash its LEDs while doing so? Bluetooth devices basically work like that, but the beeping and flashing LEDs would need to be a quirk of your speakers. Flashing LEDs on Bluetooth devices while looking for a signal is common, beeping is not but is possible.

Jimmy Jump's theory would fit in the above scenario. Also imagine a cell phone receiving a special text message, they are called alerts in the USA, warning about weather or a crime. The cell phone's display lights up and beeps as it would when receiving a text message, but in an unusual way to get your attention. Since alerts happen rarely, they can be surprising.

Your main concern is if there is something wrong with the PC. I can't find anything obvious given your description. I can't relate it to anything I have ever seen. Problems with a PC are normally repetitive, they happen multiple times, with varying intervals in between incidents. If you aren't seeing this happen again, then it wasn't a PC problem.

Regardless I agree with your conclusion about your girlfriend's confusion, particularly when any person's attention is somewhere else, and something happens quickly. Our perception is poor in those circumstances, and even if most of what happened was seen clearly, the cause is most likely to be missed.

Just keep an eye on the PC and if you can truly say it is the source of the green light and beeps, we can look into it further.

Comment

Couldn't have said it better than Parsec...

Comment

Working...
                X