Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asrock z77 extreme4 locks up within 8 minutes of startup under "0" load

My first post here, so here goes!

My son's computer build has been acting up for awhile and getting worse lately.

Basically, it is locking up, whether he's doing anything or nothing. I have the computer here at my house, got it setup, turned it on and stepped away for 5-10 minutes and when I came back it was locked up at the damn logon screen!

Have been able to logon and do some malware/virus scans and registry sweeps, I don't believe that's the problem.

System Specs (as far as I know):
    Disk Drive(s): OS - ADATA Premier Pro 2.5" 64GB SATA III SSD; Storage - Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142; Optical - ASUS DRW-24B1ST
    M/B: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Socket LGA 1155, BIOS version 2.8
    CPU: Intel core i5 @ 3.4 GHz
    VID: GeForce GTX 660Ti (driver is up to date)
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance® — 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9), Memory timings: 9-9-9-24 (stock)
    PSU - Thermaltake Smart m750W

Ran Memtest86+ overnight and no issues detected with memory. Wondering if he may have voltage issues--whether CPU, motherboard or power supply I haven't been able to determine (if even that is the problem), or possibly CPU overheating issues.

The system is NOT overclocked in any way. All BIOS settings are set to AUTO. The latest mobo BIOS (ver 2.9, vs 2.8 installed) just changes the internet flash server, so I don't believe there would be any benefit to updating the BIOS.

For what it's worth, I downloaded, installed and ran CoreTemp, CPU-Z and Prime95 and got the following results:

Before running P95, CPU VID is about 0.8156 and core voltage is 0.808; after starting P95, CPU VID increases to 1.0708 but core voltage only rises to 1.016. The numbers above show vCore consistently lower than CPU VID. The computer locked up almost immediately after starting P95 (locks up regardless, just sooner).

With all this in mind, went into the BIOS and made the following changes:

vCore to Fixed, 1.15v
    CPU LLC to Level 2
    Memory to XMP 1.2, Profile 1

Rebooted and ran coreTemp, CPU-Z and P95; core voltage stayed above CPU VID at all times but temps on all four cores were in the low 90's C and inching upward, then computer locked up. Believe my son has stock cooler, so I definitely don't want to zorch his CPU.

So I rebooted and this time didn't launch P95 after coreTemp and CPU-Z, just let it run with no load (other than those two programs) for several minutes. After it settled down the quad cores were sitting at 34 C(+/- 5C), the VID was between 0.8156 - 0.8306 and core Voltage was between 1.136 - 1.144 ... and then the computer locked up again, with nothing other than those two programs running.

By locked up, I mean the cursor moves with the mouse but computer doesn't respond to mouse clicks; the task bar pops up when the cursor hovers over it and drops back down out of sight when the cursor moves away...at least at first...then after a bit the task bar says FU and just stays up..or down.... Meanwhile, the only thing responding to user input is the cursor responding to movement of the mouse.

So I rebooted AGAIN and didn't run anything, didn't even touch the mouse after logging on, and the computer locked up again after about 8 minutes of operation (timed it with a stopwatch this time).

I blew out the innards of the case with canned air,, in the event dust build up was causing an overheat, with no change or improvement noted.

Any suggestions??
    Last edited by javaman63; 02-02-2015, 11:57 AM.
Working...
X