• Show
Clear All

• H97M-ITX/ac USB Not Recgonized

Relvent Specs:

MB: H97M-ITX/a
    CPU: i5 4960
    CASE: Fractal Design Node 304

Symptoms:

Random usb devices (sandisk jump drive, WD passport EXT HDD and NEXUS 5) can't be recognized when connected to the front USB3 ports. Those same devices when connected to the USB3 or USB2 ports on the rear of the case will work as expected.

Some devices *DO* work on the front USB3 ports (a different sandisk jump drive, and Logitech unifying receiver).

What I've done so far:

I've installed all the drivers from the H97M-ITX/ac support page.
    Uninstalled all the USB devices from device manager and re installed.
    Stepped thru OS driver installation wizard.

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by ryanlraines; 01-30-2015, 11:50 PM.

Re: H97M-ITX/ac USB Not Recgonized

Your board only uses the Intel USB 3.0 support, meaning no added chipset for USB 3.0, so that is not the issue.

I would suspect and check the USB 3.0 cable connected to the mother board from the front panel USB 3.0 ports, which don't fit tightly IMO. The connectors are not designed very well, and the cables tend to be stiff which does not help keeping the connector in place.

Usually there is a power connection to the front panel circuit board, probably a four pin molex connector. If you don't have that connected to your PSU, give that a try.

To help diagnosing this problem, when you connect a device to a front USB 3.0 port, check Device Manager while the device is plugged in, assuming it is not working correctly. You should seen an entry for the USB device in the list, which should be flagged as having a problem. If you don't see the USB device at all in Device Manager, the USB ports are obviously not working at all.

I have a different case whose front panel USB 3.0 ports failed to operate most of the time. It turned out that the circuit board with the USB 3.0 connectors was defective. The case manufacture sent me a new circuit board which worked fine. Just something to keep in mind.

Comment

Working...
    X