computer won't turn on sometimes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• computer won't turn on sometimes

I have had the computer about a year now. When shut off it won't turn on buy the case switch or the motherboard switch. The is degraded and got worse in the last year. At first it worked fine. Now for the last six month i will not shut the computer off and will only put it into sleep mode because of it. Now it's taking me 20 minutes of unplugging the unit and pushing the reset button to get this thing back up and running with reason for it turning back on when it does. Last night the power went out and I thought it was all over for the computer, then it started up. I have a code aa on the motherboard.

Asrock z68 extreme3 gen 3 with a Rosewill 650 watt power supply and an I7 lintel possessor.

Re: computer won't turn on sometimes

Any overclocks running at start-up?

Comment

That aa code is one that indicates the PC has come out of Sleep mode and then is in ACPI mode. That does not tell us much.

I'm assuming you have a Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 board.

Question, have you ever disconnected the power switch wires on the PC case from the mother board system panel header, and then try the board's power switch? If the power switch on the case is bad, it may be causing the power button on the board to be ignored.

Your board has a feature called On/Off Play Technology, which I assume is a BIOS option. Be sure that is disabled in case it is somehow affecting the power switch.

Comment

Yes I have the Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 board. I once unplugged the case switch and made no difference. No overclocking. I did just turn on the power on, if power is lost in the bios. I have not tried a turn off boot yet since I turn the power on at power lost. The machine will do a restart through windows without any issue's. It's just like something is not telling the power supply to turn on?

Comment

Should you have a 500watt-plus power supply lying around, I'd check the PC with another supply.

The reason I asked about any overclocks is that modern boards tend to check pre-post what the settings are and when something's set too high, the board resets to start-up in the standard settings. That check and reset takes a few seconds which sometmes makes the PC start/turn off a few times before booting...

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Jump View Post
            Should you have a 500watt-plus power supply lying around, I'd check the PC with another supply.

The reason I asked about any overclocks is that modern boards tend to check pre-post what the settings are and when something's set too high, the board resets to start-up in the standard settings. That check and reset takes a few seconds which sometmes makes the PC start/turn off a few times before booting...

Is this right?

Comment

Is the host clock override set right?

Comment

Originally posted by asrockuser1 View Post
                Is the host clock override set right?
                No one else responded, so I will.

Yes, 100.0MHz is the correct, default BCLK speed. That is the standard BCLK (Base Clock) speed for Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, and Haswell processors.

The term Override means the BCLK speed can be changed, up or down, if you choose to. But the leeway for the BCLK is normally not much at all. That clock is also used as the PCIe base clock speed on the same processors listed above. Haswell boards are supposed to allow much greater increases in the BCLK, where the others don't and will BSOD if it is set to high. To high is ~105MHz, or less.

Comment

new power supply fixed the problem

Comment

Working...
                  X