Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Z97 Extreme4 Won't Power Off After Shutdown

Hi,

I have been struggling with this problem for months: the ASRock Z97 Extreme4 motherboard won't power off after I shutdown Windows 8.1 Pro.

The setup is very simple: Streamcom FC10 Chassis, two SSD drivers, 8 GB RAM, one PCI USB3 extender card, USB wireless keyboard/mouse.

The power LED stays on so do the LED on the DC-ATX power supply, the LAN LED and a PCI card's LED are all on. Windows appears to shutdown properly and if I press the power button again it will boot up just fine.

I have done extensive Google'ing and tried all possible BIOS options (sleep states, USB power options, everything) and updated BIOS to latest version as well. Nothing works.

I have tried three different ATX power supply and they do not cure the problem so this is definitely a motherboard problem.

This is very annoying as I have to manually power-off the main power switch everytime I shutdown the PC. Please help!

Thanks!

Jack

Re: ASRock Z97 Extreme4 Won't Power Off After Shutdown

The power supply ON / OFF is controlled by the motherboard through pin 14 of the ATX power connector. It is an active low signal. You short it to ground (GND) and the power supply turns on, and conversely, if pin 14 (usually a green wire) is open, the power supply goes off. If you have access to a multi-meter, I'd suggest checking what pin 14 does. I'm guessing it's nearly zero all the time. If it does go to at least 3.7 VDC, then the power supply should turn off.

Bye.

Comment

Originally posted by CrunchyDoodle View Post
      The power supply ON / OFF is controlled by the motherboard through pin 14 of the ATX power connector. It is an active low signal. You short it to ground (GND) and the power supply turns on, and conversely, if pin 14 (usually a green wire) is open, the power supply goes off. If you have access to a multi-meter, I'd suggest checking what pin 14 does. I'm guessing it's nearly zero all the time. If it does go to at least 3.7 VDC, then the power supply should turn off.

Bye.
      Thanks for the idea. I'm pretty sure the MB is not signalling the ATX supply to turn off as I have tried 2 different ATX supply with the same result. Also, when I first turn on the DC supply to the DC-ATX supply the MB does not turn-on its power LED and everything remains off until I hit the power button so that's normal.

What's not working is when I then shutdown Windows either via software or the power button the ATX and MB power won't shutoff.

Comment

Does the PC shut off when holding the power button for a longer period (5 to 10 seconds)?

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Jump View Post
          Does the PC shut off when holding the power button for a longer period (5 to 10 seconds)?
          Nope. The power LED stays on unless I switch-off the DC PSU.

Comment

It seems like this "issue" is partially related to the Streacom FC10 PC case and its special requirements, and the normal way a PC power supply and mother board work.

Once a PC power supply is turned on, and the PC/board is started with the PC's power switch, power is still supplied to the board after the PC is shutdown by the OS. The power supply's 5V Standby (5VSB) power source continues to supply power to the board. The board's power LED will remain on, and the LEDs for the network ports will be on, all my mother boards power and network port LEDs remain on when the PC is shutdown, as long as the power switch on the PSU is on. That is completely normal.

The LEDs on the PCI cards remain on partially because of the 5VSB power source in the PSU, and because of the PCI riser cards that must be used with this chassis to connect any PCI or PCIe cards to the mother board.

The FC10 chassis uses an external power supply that connects to the PC case with one cable. This type of power supply has its own power LED, which will be on as long as its power switch is set to the on position. There is no reason for that LED to be off when the PC is shutdown, since the 5VSB power source supplies power to the board when a PC is shutdown. Typical internal PC power supplies do not have power LEDs, so the power LED on an external PC power supply may be confusing.

If the FC10 chassis has a power LED that remains on when the PC is shutdown, that is just how it is designed to work. The FC10's Chassis Power Switch PC board does not have a connection for the chassis power LED that is usually connected to the power LED connection on the mother board's system panel header. With no connection to the power LED header on the mother board, the chassis power LED cannot be turned off when the PC is shutdown.

Frankly, I don't see anything that is wrong or not working normally whatsoever.

Comment

Okay, so I mis-interpreted your query and was under the impression the PC didn't shut down properly. Re-reading your first post now makes my bulb (LED?) shine bright.
              I've had boards that had some lights staying on (an Asus LGA775 P5kE-wifi, amongst others) even with an internal PSU (never used external power supplies anyway).
              Like Parsec says (thanks, by the way, for doing that research on this particular chassis, Parsec), there's nothing wrong with a few LEDs on a motherboard staying on after shutdown...

Comment

Hi parsec,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. It's a bit different. Let me explain.

The FC10 chassis's power LED and power switch is in fact connected to the motherboard's power switch and power LED pinout so they are not controlling the external DC PSU.

For example, when I first turn on the external DC PSU (which has its own power switch) the FC10 power LED will not light up, nor will the LAN LEDs or PCI card LEDs. Only when I press the FC10 power switch then it triggers the motherboard to power on everything, including the FC10 power LED.

Now if I press the FC10 power button again Windows will shutdown normally. The display will go dark but the power LED (plus other LEDs) all stay on regardless. This is the problem I am struggling with.

It is not that the motherboard cannot turn off the power LED - if I enable the BIOS's night mode then the power LED will be always off, even if the PC is running. It is just that it does not properly signal the DC-ATX supply to shutdown.

I want to resolve this problem for two reasons: (a) power saving; (b) I run the PC headless so need the power LED to tell me when I can shutoff the DC PSU in case needed.

Hope the above make sense.

Can someone from ASRock help please!?

Comment

Originally posted by _JL_ View Post
                  Hi parsec,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. It's a bit different. Let me explain.

The FC10 chassis's power LED and power switch is in fact connected to the motherboard's power switch and power LED pinout so they are not controlling the external DC PSU.

For example, when I first turn on the external DC PSU (which has its own power switch) the FC10 power LED will not light up, nor will the LAN LEDs or PCI card LEDs. Only when I press the FC10 power switch then it triggers the motherboard to power on everything, including the FC10 power LED.

Now if I press the FC10 power button again Windows will shutdown normally. The display will go dark but the power LED (plus other LEDs) all stay on regardless. This is the problem I am struggling with.

It is not that the motherboard cannot turn off the power LED - if I enable the BIOS's night mode then the power LED will be always off, even if the PC is running. It is just that it does not properly signal the DC-ATX supply to shutdown.

I want to resolve this problem for two reasons: (a) power saving; (b) I run the PC headless so need the power LED to tell me when I can shutoff the DC PSU in case needed.

Hope the above make sense.

Can someone from ASRock help please!?
                  I understand what you want to happen with the power supply when you shutdown that PC. You want the power supply to be completely off, as if you switched the power switch on the power supply to the off position.

But my point about PC power supplies is they simply do not work that way. Do you have other PCs with standard, internal power supplies that function that way? That is, completely turn off when the OS is shutdown? I have never seen that happen with any of the PCs I have ever used.

I still don't quite understand this statement: "The FC10 chassis's power LED and power switch is in fact connected to the motherboard's power switch and power LED pinout so they are not controlling the external DC PSU."

This is from the FC10's User Guide:

Click image for larger version

Name:	fc10 power pcb.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	754824

I'm not sure you are referring to this in your statement, but given this from the manual, there is no connection for the FC10's power LED, and the mother board's power LED header. Actually, all this connection would do is turn the power LED on the FC10 case on and off, and have no affect on the power supply at all.

The part I don't understand is, "... so they are not controlling the external DC PSU.". Are you expecting whatever connection to be controlling the PSU, and being able to turn off the 5VSB power supply?

The main thing you want to do is have a standard PC/OS shutdown also turn off the 5VSB power source, as well as the main power sources in the PSU. Given PC PSU design, and the way the ACPI standards for PC power states work, that is impossible.

Yes, when you initially turn on a PC power supply, the power LED on the board will not come on. Actually, on all my boards, the LAN LEDs will come on when I turn the PSU on. But the condition of applying power to a mother board that has had power completely removed from it, is one where the board is not yet in any of the ACPI power states. Your PSU may not have its 5VSB power source active from a power off state, but once it is in the power on state, the 5VSB power source will remain on until the PSU's power switch is switched off. That is what you want to control, but there is no way to do that.

If you ever find a way to do what you want to happen with your PSU, we would be interested in how it is done. IMO, you won't be able to.

Comment

One of the reasons a power supply keeps feeding a motherboard is to keep that motherboard's internal memory intact (clock/date settings and any setting you applied in the BIOS). When shutting off/disconnecting a power supply from the mainboard, the CMOS battery takes over these duties. Keeping the motherboard fed through the power supply, even when the computer is turned off, keeps the battery alive way longer...

Comment

> I understand what you want to happen with the power supply when you shutdown that PC. You want the power supply to be completely off, as if you switched the power switch on the power supply to the off position.

That would be ideal but I understand the 5VSB is always on as long as the external PSU is on. The minimum I need is for the FC10 LED to turn off after the OS shutdown. This is important as I run the PC headless so I have no other way to tell if the OS is still running, e.g., installing updates. If I manually poweroff the external DC PSU while the OS is still running then it may lead to data corruption.

> But my point about PC power supplies is they simply do not work that way. Do you have other PCs with standard, internal power supplies that function that way? That is, completely turn off when the OS is shutdown? I have never seen that happen with any of the PCs I have ever used.

Understand. However a normal PC will have the power LED switch off after one shutdown the OS, even if it keeps power to the USB and LAN port.

> I still don't quite understand this statement: "The FC10 chassis's power LED and power switch is in fact connected to the motherboard's power switch and power LED pinout so they are not controlling the external DC PSU."
                      > I'm not sure you are referring to this in your statement, but given this from the manual, there is no connection for the FC10's power LED, and the mother board's power LED header. Actually, all this connection would do is turn the power LED on the FC10 case on and off, and have no affect on the power supply at all.

The LED+ and LED- connections are for the LED on the FC10's front panel. I connect that to the power LED connectors on the ASRock motherboard as per the MB manual. In fact the MB has two such connectors and I tried both with the same result.

> The part I don't understand is, "... so they are not controlling the external DC PSU.". Are you expecting whatever connection to be controlling the PSU, and being able to turn off the 5VSB power supply?

No. I know this is not supported and it's not what I need.

> If you ever find a way to do what you want to happen with your PSU, we would be interested in how it is done. IMO, you won't be able to.

I only need the power LED to turn off after shutdown which I believe is the correct operation for any PC.

To power off the external PSU will need more work. As CrunchyDoodle mentioned earlier pin 14 of the ATX connector will change state after shutdown so that can be used to drive a relay to switch-off the external PSU if desired. However as I said earlier this is not the main problem I'm encountering - I just want that LED turns off after the OS shutdown.

Thanks.

Comment

Ahh, I see now, I did not know how you had the connections to the FC10 power button circuit board configured.

Something is not right if the power LED on the FC10 case stays on when the board is shutdown. If the power LED cable from the board is connected to the FC10's power button circuit board correctly, which it must be since it is simple to do, my first reaction is the FC10 is the problem.

I don't have a Z97 Extreme 4 board, but I do have a Z97 Extreme 6 board, and several other ASRock boards. All my PC cases have power LEDs, and they all are off when the PC is shutdown. In Sleep mode they flash, but are off when shutdown.

What does the internal 24 pin power supply cable and connector look like inside the Streacom chassis? Does it seem like a standard 24 pin connector?

Did you try loading the UEFI defaults, to see if an option was set accidentally wrong, and the power LED remained on for that reason? Actually I can't think of a setting that would do that.

Comment

> What does the internal 24 pin power supply cable and connector look like inside the Streacom chassis? Does it seem like a standard 24 pin connector?

Yes, it's standard 24-pin connector. I tried 3 different ATX supply with the same results so I doubt the ATX supply is the problem.

> Did you try loading the UEFI defaults, to see if an option was set accidentally wrong, and the power LED remained on for that reason? Actually I can't think of a setting that would do that.

Yup. Did that multiple times already. Very frustrating.

Comment

Sounds more like there's power bleeding, most plausible through a wiring fault at the back of the case's on/off button...

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Jump View Post
                              Sounds more like there's power bleeding, most plausible through a wiring fault at the back of the case's on/off button...
                              That is a possibility, and gave me an idea how to test it, although it would take some work.

If you could get a 5V LED that could be connected to the power LED header on the board, and the LED could be oriented so it could be seen, that would tell you if the board was not sending 5V to the LED when the PC is shutdown.

_JL_, have you contacted Streacom about this? I've had a circuit board inside a case that was defective. It had USB ports mounted on it, and they would not work. A replacement board fixed the problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X