No announcement yet.

"All core" setting in firmware causes immediate system crash.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "All core" setting in firmware causes immediate system crash.

I found that setting the UEFI cpu ratio to "All core" causes the system to crash almost immediately. This is without any overclocking or other performance enhancements. It should be possible to have all cores running at normal speed without a loss of stability? I am using the stock Intel cpu cooler. Could activating all cores be causing the cpu to overheat? Would a superior cooler solve this issue? Could I have a defective cpu, or is this normal? My system (with default settings) passes the Intel Extreme Tuning cpu stress test, although the benchmark score is on the low end for an i7 4790K.

Re: "All core" setting in firmware causes immediate system crash.

I have a very similar system, I have 5 PC's so its a hard call which to post.

On my system this option makes no difference that I can see on or off. Its only trying to max each core to the same value. Locking up is not normal based on my experience.
    Its not a cooling issue unless you are trying for dramatic OC.
    If you are running default OC and memory, I would run without this option while other minds give ideas.
    Mine is leave the feature off.

Comment

Re: "All core" setting in firmware causes immediate system crash in Z97 Extreme4.

Brit,
      Thanks for your reply.
      I agree. I find that if I leave cpu ratio set to "auto" with multi core enhancement enabled, there is no problem. Still, the tech support guy at MicroCenter says that it shouldn't crash and that I must have a defective MOBO. I can still return it, since I am within the 30 day return period, but since I removed the bar code label for the mail-in rebate, I would have to pay a restocking fee. I'm reluctant to do this since I am not convinced there is anything wrong with the MOBO. I only have a few days left, so it would be good to hear from anyone else who has tried this setting with the same Z97 Extreme4 board.

As far as overclocking goes, even at default settings the thermal throttling kicks in when the cpu utilization goes up, so I doubt oc would be of much value without a better cooler first. I might experiment with oc settings later on. (My applications are more gpu than cpu intensive anyway.)
      Cheers,

Comment

Re: "All core" setting in firmware causes immediate system crash in Z97 Extreme4.

Originally posted by Prevail View Post
        Brit,
        Thanks for your reply.
        I agree. I find that if I leave cpu ratio set to "auto" with multi core enhancement enabled, there is no problem. Still, the tech support guy at MicroCenter says that it shouldn't crash and that I must have a defective MOBO. I can still return it, since I am within the 30 day return period, but since I removed the bar code label for the mail-in rebate, I would have to pay a restocking fee. I'm reluctant to do this since I am not convinced there is anything wrong with the MOBO. I only have a few days left, so it would be good to hear from anyone else who has tried this setting with the same Z97 Extreme4 board.

As far as overclocking goes, even at default settings the thermal throttling kicks in when the cpu utilization goes up, so I doubt oc would be of much value without a better cooler first. I might experiment with oc settings later on. (My applications are more gpu than cpu intensive anyway.)
        Cheers,
        I've used the All Core option on other ASRock boards with other processors, and I did not get an immediate system crash. But I also did not use the Auto CPU voltage settings, which could be part of your problem. I also have never used the stock CPU cooler.

Using the All Core option, and setting a higher than stock multiplier is the basis of any CPU over clock.

Using All Core should set the core ratio/multiplier to 44 for each core, with your CPU. It's strange that you can use an Auto CPU Ratio setting with Multi Core Enhancement, although that feature disables the SpeedStep option, which Per Core does not.

The standard Turbo multipliers are not 44 for every core. If you select Auto for the Core Ratio, and then select Per Core, you will see the four Turbo ratios for your CPU.

If thermal throttling activates at default settings, the "crash" you get when using Per Core may be the processor shutting itself off due to over heating that throttling cannot overcome. If throttling cannot cool off the processor, it shuts off. I'm guessing you did not tell that to the Microcenter Tech?

Thermal throttling at default settings clearly indicates inadequate CPU cooling. Using the stock cooler with an i7-4790K is asking for trouble, particularly if the PC case is not adequately ventilated. That is one potential reason why you are thermal throttling. Another is the CPU cooler is not mounted correctly. What CPU fan speed setting or configuration do you use in the BIOS? It should be at full speed when throttling occurs.

IMO, the board is not the problem.

What are your idle temperatures like? What PC case do you use?

Comment

parsec,

As always, thanks for your informative reply.
          Since I only noticed the thermal throttling with the CPU stress test, I wasn't sure if this might be normal with such high CPU utilization. Today, I used BurnInTest to run more tests. It failed the cpu temperature test, exceeding the maximum threshold 897 times. It has probably been throttling more often than I realized. Tomorrow I will exchange the cpu at the store for a new one, and then retest. I may also pickup a better cpu cooler as well. The Z97 Extreme4 passed all of the BurnInTest tests with flying colors.
          Please let me know if anyone recommends a good cooler. My case is wide enough; I just hope it doesn't block access to the memory slots which are very close to the cpu.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BurnInTestRes.png
Views:	1
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	754859

Comment

Frankly, I doubt a different CPU will make a difference. Cooling your CPU is the main problem, and the stock Intel cooler will never allow CPU stress testing without throttling.

My i5-4670K hit 100C (the throttling temperature) with a Corsair H60 liquid cooler using two fans, with an OC to 4.4GHz.

You need the best CPU cooler you can get/afford. A mid to upper level Noctua, Thermalright, Phanteks, Cryorig, or Corsair H80 or better will work much better. Many CPU coolers out there, a CM Hyper 212 is better for example, but will not be enough for stress testing your processor.

Comment

Working...
            X