X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding adding new SSD to Z97 motherboard

Hey,
    I am thinking of adding a new
    Crucial MX100 CT256MX100SSD1 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

to my system as the primary boot with ( Win 7 operating system ). This is the first time I have done this and am just trying to be a bit proactive in installing this to my ASRock Fatal1ty Killer Z97 motherboard ( bios 1.90 ).
    Is there any bios setting I need to be concerned with. I have read that some folks have system freezes and have to install Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver in order to disable " Link Power Management" power saving feature in order to have these SSD's compatible with the system. I do not use any type of sleep or hibernation function and am not sure if this is needed.
    Thanks !!!!
    Last edited by rclark; 02-26-2015, 02:51 PM.

Re: Question regarding adding new SSD to Z97 motherboard

It largely depends on your image / transfer SW.

Does the Crucial SSD come with clone SW? Mine didn't but I did a new install so it wasn't a concern .

Nowadays I tend to use Samsung which includes transfer SW, but I don't see why you need to worry about the settings you mention.

If really concerned set everything to default and change back after the transfer.

Comment

Most setups have a separate hidden/reserved Recovery partition along with the C: primary system partition.

Are you sure that your power supply is good enough?

Click image for larger version

Name:	windows-7-system-reserved-boot-partition.png
Views:	1
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	754854
      Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
      P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
      4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
      MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
      Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
      WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
      Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
      SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
      Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
      Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
      Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
      MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
      Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
      HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
      CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
      E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
      Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
      Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
      HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

I have an MX100, and never had any system freezes. I wonder if those that apparently did were using laptops on battery power, where every power saving feature is enabled.

The default BIOS settings are fine, with one minor exception. The only place in the BIOS you need to check is the Storage Configuration screen.

Clicking on a drive listed in the Storage Configuration screen will display a new screen with a few options. Among them is Sata Device Type, which should be changed to Solid State Drive. What this option actually does I do not know, I have never seen an explanation about it. But it doesn't hurt, so just use it.

SATA mode in Storage Configuration defaults to AHCI, which is a must with SSDs. Not for compatibility but performance. RAID mode has all the features of AHCI, so can also be used if like. While the description for IDE mode states "... best compatibility", that is nonsense, and will reduce the performance of any SSD.

You can disable Link Power Management in the IRST Windows UI that installs with the IRST driver package, which is no problem to install. I use the IRST driver in every Intel PC I have, and would not be without it. Better performance than the standard Windows AHCI driver.

Comment

Thanks so much for the information ( as usual -- spot on )
          Oh my gosh --how have you been profJim ? Power supply A-OK !! ( Ha !! )
          Again thank-you parsec, that is what I was wondering about ( exactly )
          take care--rclark

Comment

Working...
          X