asrock p67 transformer mobo & overclocking i5 750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asrock p67 transformer mobo & overclocking i5 750

I am looking to buy on ebay an asrock p67 transformer motherboard to overclock an i5 750 lynnfield. I have experience in overclocking but never with this system, it is a recent hand me down from my brother.

I have read 3 reviews about this motherboard but none have answered my question or concern, can I overclock the i5 750 by raising the BCLK above 107? One of the reviews stated that the BCLK wouldn't go higher than 107 however that was specifically talking about the Sandy Bridge cpu not the Lynnfield. What I haven't been able to figure out is whether or not the BCLK limit is specific to the Sandy Bridge only or does it include the i5 750 Lynnfield cpu as well.

If anyone has personal experience with this board and can confirm the oc'ing is like any other p55 board I would be greatful. I don't want spend $80 on a mobo that I can't use the way I would like.

Here is the review that is giving me some confusing data....
    ASRock P67 3-Way Motherboard Roundup | Pure Overclock - Part 9

Here is my build
    i5 750 lynnfield
    ati radeon 5850 1gb gddr5
    wd caviar green 1tb
    700w psu
    vista 32 bit (i have only one 64 bit OS that is running on my primary pc)
    8gb 4x2gb corsair memory 1333 ddr3

I should say that my oc would be about 3.6-3.8ghz only when needed. Most of the time I will probably run the system underclocked.

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

Re: asrock p67 transformer mobo & overclocking i5 750

Your i5-760 Lynnfield processor is a different architecture than Sandy Bridge processors, so the BCLK limitation of Sandy Bridge should not apply to a Lynnfield.

The Lynnfield's stock FSB clock is 133MHz, and if the P67 Transformer board could not supply a 133MHz FSB to 1156 processors, they would not be able to operate at their stock speed, given the standard core multiplier. That would be a terrible limitation IF this board could not do that. But the review shows that limitation does not exist.

We can see on this page of the review that the Buss Speed (FSB or BCLK) used with the Transformer board and the i5-650 processor was set to 139.3MHz:

ASRock P67 3-Way Motherboard Roundup | Pure Overclock - Part 10

We can also see that the OC was mainly done by raising the multiplier. You should have no problem setting the FSB as it should be with this board.

Comment

Re: asrock p67 transformer mobo & overclocking i5 750

Great answer, appreciate the details and explanation.

Thank you Parsec!

Comment

Working...
      X