Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dummy put Wrong processor in 1333-d667

Hi Educated folks

Please confirm my dummy status - I misread the processor support details and put an E6300
    dual core processor into the board. It fired up windows XP OK then suddenly went gaga, switched off
    and I cannot now run it with the old E2140 chip. I presume I have fried the chip set and need to get
    a new Mobo. ConfIrmation would be much appreciated.

Now see that I need an E2200

Dum Dum Sanders

Re: Dummy put Wrong processor in 1333-d667

I'm not seeing this issue per ASrock CPU list. If you go to your MB support page it shows the following. All being bios versions.

ASRock > ConRoe1333-D667 R1.0

775 Core 2 Duo E6320 Conroe 1.86GHz 1066MHz 4MB All
    775 Core 2 Duo E6300(L2) Conroe 1.86GHz 1066MHz 2MB All
    775 Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz 1066MHz 2MB All

Its been a while since I played with LGA 775, more likely CPU overheated or BIOS is confused, if the MB is playing dead check for signs of life (parsec like looking for leds functioning on the beside the LAN connector) and after that I go with putting a jumper on CMOS clear, removing the battery for an hour, putting it back, remove jumper and try to start.

Make sure to run default settings for a few reboots (and saves) once it fires up.

Make sure to read the CPU options on the link above, its that your MB the E6300 Dual Core should have been OK.

Comment

Thanks

The cpu is actually a 2.8 Mhz 6300 SLGU9
      which is where I went wrong.
      I need at least 2.4Ghz to run Pinnacle Studio 15
      and the current chip is E2140 1.6 Ghz.
      The PC now refuses to start - no "click" as I put the power
      cable into the main socket
      not a good day!!

regards
      jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon sanders View Post
        Thanks

The cpu is actually a 2.8 Mhz 6300 SLGU9
        which is where I went wrong.
        I need at least 2.4Ghz to run Pinnacle Studio 15
        and the current chip is E2140 1.6 Ghz.
        The PC now refuses to start - no "click" as I put the power
        cable into the main socket

not a good day!!

regards
        jon
        There are three versions of the ConRoe1333-D667 board, R1.0, R2.0, and R3.0. Which one do you have?

ASRock > ConRoe1333-D667 R2.0

ASRock > ConRoe1333-D667 R3.0

The "2.8MHz 6300 SLGU9", a Wolfdale Pentium E6300 2.8GHz, is a socket 775 processor, and while it is not included in the CPU Support List of any of the three boards, other Wolfdale processors are in the CPU support list. Intel lists them as all in the same Wolfdale family:

Products (Formerly Wolfdale)

ASRock's description on CPU compatibility is:

LGA 775 for Intel® Dual Core Core™ 2 Extreme / Core™ 2 Duo / Pentium® Dual Core / Celeron, supporting Dual Core Wolfdale processors
        - Compatible with all FSB1333*/1066/800/533 MHz CPUs except Quad Core

If there were exceptions to that which would kill the board, they did not communicate that at all. Hard for me to believe they would exist.

I would be surprised if your E6300, a Wolfdale processor using the same socket (775), would damage your board. The processor might not work, but it seemed to for a while, but killing the board itself is not what I would expect. You should have cleared the BIOS before starting the PC with the new processor, but I have yet to discover why the E6300 would ruin your board.

I don't understand this, "The PC now refuses to start - no "click" as I put the power cable into the main socket".

I assume that means the 20 pin ATX power connector, and the only click it would make is the plastic latch on the connector, which does not always happen, I rarely hear a click when connecting it myself. Or are you saying that the connector on the board was damaged or burned?

You must have the 20 pin and the four pin CPU power connectors connected to a power supply. What PSU are you using? You may have had a coincidental PSU failure, possibly caused by the new processor using more power than the previous one did.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
          There are three versions of the ConRoe1333-D667 board, R1.0, R2.0, and R3.0. Which one do you have?

I have 3 conroe boards, all R1.0. One works perfectly, one did until I swapped the cpu and the third one again does not fire up (it did once today briefly but then shut down and now will not start).

ASRock > ConRoe1333-D667 R2.0

ASRock > ConRoe1333-D667 R3.0

The "2.8MHz 6300 SLGU9", a Wolfdale Pentium E6300 2.8GHz, is a socket 775 processor, and while it is not included in the CPU Support List of any of the three boards, other Wolfdale processors are in the CPU support list. Intel lists them as all in the same Wolfdale family:

Products (Formerly Wolfdale)

ASRock's description on CPU compatibility is:

LGA 775 for Intel® Dual Core Core™ 2 Extreme / Core™ 2 Duo / Pentium® Dual Core / Celeron, supporting Dual Core Wolfdale processors
          - Compatible with all FSB1333*/1066/800/533 MHz CPUs except Quad Core

If there were exceptions to that which would kill the board, they did not communicate that at all. Hard for me to believe they would exist.

I checked that it was the same wattage - 65W

I would be surprised if your E6300, a Wolfdale processor using the same socket (775), would damage your board. The processor might not work, but it seemed to for a while, but killing the board itself is not what I would expect. You should have cleared the BIOS before starting the PC with the new processor, but I have yet to discover why the E6300 would ruin your board.

I have since cleared CMOS and tried again but no joy. Since this E6300 was not listed I dont know if it would run
          on the BIOS on the board.

I don't understand this, "The PC now refuses to start - no "click" as I put the power cable into the main socket".

There was a faint sound of a spark as the socket connects to the PC - not any more.

I assume that means the 20 pin ATX power connector, and the only click it would make is the plastic latch on the connector, which does not always happen, I rarely hear a click when connecting it myself. Or are you saying that the connector on the board was damaged or burned?

No apparent damage to PSU and I have tried another which I know works on the good machine. PSU is HEC-250SR-AT. These are low profile desktop units.

You must have the 20 pin and the four pin CPU power connectors connected to a power supply. What PSU are you using? You may have had a coincidental PSU failure, possibly caused by the new processor using more power than the previous one did.
          Thank you for your detailed reply. I have answered the questions posed. I really dont know where to tuirn now.
          The BIOS is P1.00.8A on one machine and P1.10.11A on the other one which does not work. I seem to remember having
          a similar problem with an IBM machine where the initial power up instruction failed. Any help would be gratefully received.
          regards
          Jon

Comment

I'm understanding there is no sign / sound of life when PSU is plugged into wall socket.

Also no LED illuminated on the LAN indicator - you didn't answer that. >>>> Possibly the PSU is bricked. Do you have a spare or can you swap with another unit PSU?

Did you ever pull the battery of the CMOS - its not the same as using a clear jumper. This action is my suggested next step before anything else.

Comment

Hi britgeezer and parsec

Suddenly it works again with the original 1.6Mhz 2140. Dont know what I did but I systematically cleared BIOS, reseated RAM and bingo. Checked it is running OK. I still need to get the CPU up to 2.4Ghz, but I only have 1.00 bios so I think I need a pentium E6600 which runs on all versions
              of BIOS and on the conroe core. Thanks again for your help

regards
              Jon

Comment

Working...
              X