No announcement yet.

M5A78L-M LX Plus + FX4100 Serious Failure Problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M5A78L-M LX Plus + FX4100 Serious Failure Problem?

A system I put together a few years ago with an Asus M3N78-VM MB a duel core Am2 cpu and 4GB's of OCZ platinum ram apparently had the motherboard or CPU fail and I had to get a replacement fast. So I bought an M5A78L-M LX Plus / AMD FX4100 and an 8GB Patriot PXD38G1866ELK which was the suggested combo on Amazon. I put it together and it wouldn't even post, a little research seemed to indicate that the M5A78L-M needed a 0510 or better Bios to post with an FX cpu so I picked up an inexpensive Semperon 145 but when I installed it, it also wouldn't post. BTW, I had previously used an Antec power supply tester to check that the power supply I'd been using was still good and all voltages were in tolerance.

I RMAed the motherboard back to Amazon and got a replacement; with the replacement I was able to install the Semperon and flash to the latest bios 0902. I then swapped to the FX4100 and everything seemed like it was working fine so I started a repair install of XP x64. The first phase of copying files from the CD went fine and it rebooted and then started the second phase of the repair install so I left it alone and went to do some other work. When I came back the screen was black and the system non-responsive, after a hard power off I now have the same problem as I originally had with the first motherboard i.e. a black screen and the system won't post.

I've been putting together my own systems for a pretty long time, the first ones I built used 286-16mhz cpu's (back in the 80's) and I've never had any problem like this. Can someone please give me some idea's on what the problem could be since I don't think Amazon will let me return another motherboard.

Thanks
    Pick up virtue from everyone
Working...
X