Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock P67 Transformer

Greetings Everyone!

My GA-P55A-UD7 mobo is in the process of biting the dust. eBay is selling re-manufactured ASRock P67 mobos for a good price. My goal was to extend the useful life of my i7-860, 4GB of RAM OCZ 850 Gold PS, Intel SSD, 6TB of hard disk as well as my fanless Nvideo graphics card.

Any transition special things to watch out for would be appreciated. I know it uses the original version of the P67 so it will only have a life of about 3 years buy then it will be time to move on to newer hardware.

The OS will be Windows 7x64 Pro.

Thanks!

Re: ASRock P67 Transformer

Well apart from the obvious make a backup and obligatory suggestion to make clean install, only a few.

Check the LAN drivers and major device drivers remove those as far as you can if they are different on the new MB. Download the latest drivers from ASR for the subject MB.
    Once you install the new MB, get the LAN driver installed, if in doubt let W7 find the latest versions of drivers but that needs the LAN working.

Let the system reboot a few times before you worry about any ! beside a device driver.

Comment

The P67 B1 fiasco was exaggerated IMO. Intel said that only the SATA II ports could deteriorate over time, which of course was not something they were able to test in the time frame of the release of the chipset. Even if all four SATA II ports failed, two SATA III ports remain, which at least makes the board functional and not completely dead.

Transition should be Ok, if you are doing a fresh OS installation. If not, the differences in hardware and drivers are the worst things to deal with.

I would be particularly careful to use drivers from this board's download page, since the processor and chipset combination is unusual and unique in many ways. Using the INF driver ver:9.2.0.1015, INF file installation program as the first installation program run is important.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who responded.

I will be doing a fresh install and to help make sure things go smoothly I purchased a new Corsair AX860 PS.
        The new PS should still be good in a couple of years when I finally upgrade to a new mobo, cpu etc. As it is, I get the large hard drive size support as well as SATA 3!

Of course by the time I upgrade SATA 4 or something else will the be new thing then!

And, if anyone could point me in the direction of a .iso image of the Support CD it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comment

The Etron USB 3.0 controller used on this board has had a lot of compatibility issues in the beginning. It took several driver versions to fix this problems. So make shure to use the latest driver version 0.119 (ASRock's P67 Transformer website still offers outdated version 0.96) available here:
          Drivers
          ---
          Mind is not cumulative, but stupidity is.

Comment

Originally posted by Zardoz View Post
            And, if anyone could point me in the direction of a .iso image of the Support CD it would be appreciated.
            you have a private message!
            ---
            Mind is not cumulative, but stupidity is.

Comment

ASRock P67 Transformer - Observations and a couple of questions

I am slowly getting the hang of things! I am working on my third system image trying to tweak things a bit.

FYI's
              1. I have a wireless keyboard with integrated trackball that plugs into the USB of course.
              When I boot into the BIOS, the track ball only moves the mouse pointer up and down. Good thing the mouse is not needed. If I use a USB mouse all works good.

2. I have a low power passive cooling Nvidia video card ASUS GT630-SL-2GD3-L. It was not compatible with the mobo and the board would not post. I thought the board was bad at first. I tried ATI HD6670 video card and it worked just fine.

Questions:
              1. I have a USB 2.0 thumb drive with a boot image on it. How can I get the mobo to boot from it? Legacy of both USB2.0 and 3.0 are turned on and the thumb drive is plugged into a connector I have wired to the MOBO. The drive is seen just fine when Windows is running.

2. The chassis power LED... on my prior Gigabyte board if I wired up the power LED one way the LED would blink when in sleep / hibernate mode. Wired the other way, in sleep / hibernate mode the LED would be off. On this MOBO the LED BLINKS when in sleep / hibernate which is not desired. If I alter the setting in the BIOS for NIGHT LED the LED is off when the system is running. Also, not a good thing.
              Any suggestions?

Thanks for all your help!

Comment

To boot from a USB flash drive, connect it directly to one of the USB 2.0 ports on the board's IO panel. USB hubs or other connectors "wired to the MOBO" (??) may not work, even when connected to a USB 2.0 port on the board's IO panel.

You described how the Goodnight LED option works, that is all that can be done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                  To boot from a USB flash drive, connect it directly to one of the USB 2.0 ports on the board's IO panel. USB hubs or other connectors "wired to the MOBO" (??) may not work, even when connected to a USB 2.0 port on the board's IO panel.

You described how the Goodnight LED option works, that is all that can be done with it.
                  Thanks for your continued help!

Sorry for my poor terminology "wired to the MOBO" what I meant of course was the connectors on the motherboard that allow cables to run to a front panel USB2.0 connector among other places. I will try plugging in the thumb drive to the USB2.0 connector on the back. There is nothing in the BIOS that allows me to set priorities as to which device to boot from with respect to USB2.0.

Upon further research I see that the LED blinks when the motherboard is at Sleep level 1 (S1) how can I convince this mobo to do a deeper sleep?

Thanks!

Comment

If the USB flash drive is bootable, it will be listed in the normal list of Boot Devices in the Boot screen. I install Windows only from USB flash drives all the time, and they appear with the name of the USB flash drive, just as any other bootable HDD or SSD will be listed. Select it as the first boot device, save and exit the BIOS, and the PC should boot from the USB flash drive.

I don't change any of the USB settings in the BIOS at all, the default option settings work fine on the ASRock Z77, Z87, and Z97 boards I have.

The usual way to enable S3 Sleep in the BIOS on ASRock boards is the Suspend to RAM option in the ACPI Configuration screen. Setting it to Auto enables S3 Sleep. That option goes back at least as far as ASRock Z77 boards, I don't know the exact option in your board's BIOS, if it is different.

Comment

Working...
                    X