No announcement yet.

New Asrock EPC612D4U-2T8R: Xeon 2011 v3 or v2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Asrock EPC612D4U-2T8R: Xeon 2011 v3 or v2?

Asrock put up a new microATX motherboard at ASRock Rack > EPC612D4U-2T8R

The text says it uses a Xeon 2011 v3 and DDR4 RAM. But the picture of the motherboad partially shows the CPU socket, and that socket appears to have "notches" on each side the way a Xeon 2011 v2 has. A Xeon 2011 v3 I saw las month had no notches and was not compatible with a v2 socket.

Where's my mistake? Which Xeon 2011 supports DDR4 and has those notches along the sides?

Re: New Asrock EPC612D4U-2T8R: Xeon 2011 v3 or v2?

You've noticed an interesting difference in the way a Haswell Xeon 2011 v3 processor's land layout is, versus the pin layout in the 2011-3 socket.

I believe you are referring to this difference in the 2011 v2 and 2011 v3 processors:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ivy e and haswell e.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	754875

You can see the same thing at the top and bottom of the Haswell E processor that you can on the side, more lands on the Haswell E.

Now for the apparent reality of this situation:

The socket on the ASRock EPC612D4U-2T8R is a true 2011-3 socket.

There aren't any Xeon v3 processors that have notches in the land grid array to match the notches in the socket.

The extra lands on the Xeon v3 processors are simply not used in a standard 2011-3 version socket.

Now to make it more interesting, Asus and Gigabyte are touting there special version 2011-3 sockets with "extra pins". You can search on "Asus OC Socket" to see what I mean.

Intel apparently has said the 2011-3 CPU sockets with extra pins to match the unused lands on a Haswell E processor (consumer or server) have not been validated by Intel. Asus states their special socket improves over clocking ability. The extra pins seem to be for power delivery and associated grounds.

It may be a while before we know the whole story behind the unused lands and extra pin CPU sockets.

Comment

Working...
    X