970 pro3+ crazy temps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 970 pro3+ crazy temps

I got a new bios installed (v2.00) and now i get crazy temps in the bios and on win7 i can't remember which options to enable or tweak to make it cool and quiet.I used to have the cpu under control at about ~40°C idle and ~60°C full load.Now on win7 when i encode a x264 video it goes as high as 100°C (!?) and rather quickly,
    i'm not sure if it's true or coretemp is playing with me.

cpu: phenom II x4 955 BE
    cpu cooler: corsair hydro H55
    pump on cpu_fan2 (3pins), fan on cpu_fan1 (4pins)
    ram: ddr3 1333 (667mhz)

bios: cool and quiet enabled, C1E enabled, thermal throttle: 50%
    bios temps: about 67°c as of now

Thanks for your help

Re: 970 pro3+ crazy temps

when gaming (pcsx2, GOW2...old ps2 games):
    cpu load: 40-49% (so not that much of a load)
    temp: 74°C
    gpu temp: max~45°C (pale in comparison)
    ain't that crazy ?

I've tried to fine tune with axtu but i can't seem to find the right button i used to have the cpu at 60°C max for all the latest games (watch dogs, mgsV) high settings; Gpu at 80°C max (Gtx 660 OC) .
    Right now it's just noisy (very) and hot basically (too hot)
    Before you even ask: Yes there is thermal paste applied
    Last edited by themaster1; 03-26-2015, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Anyone ?
      as of now i have put a limit of 70 % for "max cpu state" in the power savings (win7) so the cpu run between 800 mhz and ~2100 mhz (instead of 3200). Not ideal .
      amd cool 'n quiet is enabled
      idle temps, ~40°C:
      corsair's pump: 4591 rpm (never changes or very little)
      cpu fan : 1200 rpm (can go up to 2000 rpm if there is cpu load..noisy)
      idle temps voltages (from AXTU):
      Vcore: 1.075v
      5V: 5.160v
      cpu northbridge: 1.1000v
      southbridge : 1.10v
      pcie vdda: 1.81v
      3.3v: 3.296 v (a bit low no?)
      +12v: 12.302v
      Ht voltage: 1.125v
      cpu vdda: 2.56v
      dram: 1.35v (it's some kind of eco green Ram from G.skill, lower voltage-> lower temps and good timings 7-7-7-21-30-2T, 666.7 mhz) i'm using the xmp profile i don't know if it has an influence on the cpu's temps though
      Last edited by themaster1; 03-28-2015, 05:45 AM.

Comment

You went to BIOS 2.00 from BIOS version ??

The maximum rated temperature is 62C, and VCore range is 0.85V - 1.4V, so apparently your VCore is not very high:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition - HDZ955FBK4DGM / HDZ955FBGMBOX

Try another monitoring program that will give you more information, this:

HWiNFO, HWiNFO32/64 - Download

So the idle VCore is 1.075? That seems high if the CPU is at 800MHz.

I can only go by your board's manual, which are rarely kept up to date with changes in the BIOS.

It looks like the CPU power saving options in Advanced, CPU Configuration, are enabled by default. Cool ‘n’ Quiet, Enhance Halt State (C1E), and Core C6 State seem to be enabled. The Secure Virtual Machine option, enabled by default, should be no help to you, so disable that.

Your 3.3V PSU rail, at 3.296V, or 4/1000ths of a volt below perfect is not even in the +/- error range of the monitoring chip. Not a problem.

This CPU is known to run hot and be power hungry, but it surprises me at less than stock speeds it is hitting its temperature limits with the CPU cooler you are using. The pump and fan speeds are normal for a H55.

But configuration is important. Is the H55 pulling air into the PC case, or is it blowing air out of the PC case? No mention of the PC case you use, or number of case fans, etc.

I see that your board has a simple 4 + 1 VRM CPU and memory power system, with no heatsink on the VRM chips. Add to that an AIO liquid cooler that does not move any air across the VRM chips, as even the stock CPU cooler does, and you end up with the typical problem with this configuration. The VRM system is likely running very hot, and can actually cause thermal throttling of the VRM system.

The 40C idle CPU temperature (at 800MHz?) seems high for your CPU cooler. I would check the mounting of the H55 on the CPU, in case it was disturbed somehow, and not making good contact with the CPU.

Comment

I've got two fans for the corsair's heat exchanger moving air in->out and another for the hdd's on the lower front side moving air in->out.2 gpu fans and 1 for the power supply.The pc case is a Lian Li PC B10

At this point i think the culprit is the thermal paste (not doing its job), everything is mounted correctly, i've double checked.
          Last edited by themaster1; 03-28-2015, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Today i bought new thermal paste (Antec Formula 6) that's much better
            idle temps: 29-30°C
            burning (x264 encoding @ 3.2ghz): 45°C max
            In a closed case (Lian-Li PC B-10)

Comment

Working...
            X