booting from SM951

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• booting from SM951

Hi all,I have a Asrock z97 extreme6 mobo with the M.2 sockets, my delimma is that I cannot get the drive to appear in the boot priorities from the M.2 socket but is picked up in the storage list.I have tried every bois options I can find but will not appear in the boot menu. Shows up in windows just fine.I just wondered if anybody has achieved this and to tell me how, if so it would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Paul.

Re: booting from SM951

I've seen it mentioned in reviews of the SM951 that is bootable given the appropriate board and UEFI/BIOS combination. The Z97 Extreme6 is one of those boards.

Just as when using the XP941, which the SM951 does not differ in its requirements for being bootable, there should be two ways to accomplish that. One of those ways I know works, the other method, we'll see if I'm right.

I'll describe the second way first, since it is easier but I'm not certain about it.

In the UEFI, Boot Screen at the bottom you'll find the CSM option. Click on that to get to the options. You'll see it is enabled, with three options below it. Keep CSM Enabled, and in the Launch Storage OpROM Policy option, set it to Launch Storage OpROM Policy. Don't forget that this option must be configured this way as long as you are using the SM951. That means after a CMOS/UEFI clear, or UEFI update, you'll need to set the Launch Storage OpROM Policy again.

Without going into details, the SM951 (and XP941) require the use of the UEFI compatible Intel SATA Option ROM, that is a part of the UEFI itself. Selecting it is what was done in what I described above. I'd like to know if this works, as no one has ever confirmed that for me. Another question is if this will work with Windows 7. Windows 8 and 8.1 have better UEFI compatibility, but if you are using Windows 7, this might not work.

The method I know works is installing Windows 8 or 8.1 for UEFI booting, with the CSM option Disabled. This is not difficult to do, mainly you need to create a bootable USB flash drive with a Windows 8/8.1 ISO file as the Windows source. There are guides I can provide for you if you use this method.

The SM951 and XP951 are not sold in the normal retail sources, except for the one in Australia, because of these requirements. Both of these SSDs are not standard, plug and play devices when used as OS drives. Most older mother boards won't be able to support them, and newer ones require the UEFI to be compatible.

Let us know if the first method works for you. You gave us no information about what OS you will be using, so that remains a potential issue.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      I've seen it mentioned in reviews of the SM951 that is bootable given the appropriate board and UEFI/BIOS combination. The Z97 Extreme6 is one of those boards.

Just as when using the XP941, which the SM951 does not differ in its requirements for being bootable, there should be two ways to accomplish that. One of those ways I know works, the other method, we'll see if I'm right.

I'll describe the second way first, since it is easier but I'm not certain about it.

In the UEFI, Boot Screen at the bottom you'll find the CSM option. Click on that to get to the options. You'll see it is enabled, with three options below it. Keep CSM Enabled, and in the Launch Storage OpROM Policy option, set it to Launch Storage OpROM Policy. Don't forget that this option must be configured this way as long as you are using the SM951. That means after a CMOS/UEFI clear, or UEFI update, you'll need to set the Launch Storage OpROM Policy again.

Without going into details, the SM951 (and XP941) require the use of the UEFI compatible Intel SATA Option ROM, that is a part of the UEFI itself. Selecting it is what was done in what I described above. I'd like to know if this works, as no one has ever confirmed that for me. Another question is if this will work with Windows 7. Windows 8 and 8.1 have better UEFI compatibility, but if you are using Windows 7, this might not work.

The method I know works is installing Windows 8 or 8.1 for UEFI booting, with the CSM option Disabled. This is not difficult to do, mainly you need to create a bootable USB flash drive with a Windows 8/8.1 ISO file as the Windows source. There are guides I can provide for you if you use this method.

The SM951 and XP951 are not sold in the normal retail sources, except for the one in Australia, because of these requirements. Both of these SSDs are not standard, plug and play devices when used as OS drives. Most older mother boards won't be able to support them, and newer ones require the UEFI to be compatible.

Let us know if the first method works for you. You gave us no information about what OS you will be using, so that remains a potential issue.

Thanks for replying Parsec, much appreciated. I have tried various options to load windows but to no avail. I first started with win 7 on a usb stick and tried to install but in the install window it will not allow it to be installed M.2,comes up with warning unable to load on this partition.
      I then download a ISO copy of win 8 which I own and tried that but same problem "unable to install windows to this partition".

I then got a copy of Win 8.1 put it on the usb stick and now the warnings cleared and will load. I would assume that win 8.1 must have extra code to partition it to GPT

The problem I now face is that because the M.2 drive is not showing in the boot sequence it will not allow Windows to finished installing, when it reboots to finish the install it crashes because it cannot find the M.2 drive.

If you disable CSM the drive does not show up in the advanced storage list, so will not show up in windows at all so am unable to install because it does not show up in the install list.

I have tried "Launch Storage OpROM Policy" ,still not showing, the only way I can the drive to show up in the boot tab is to alter the sata from UEFI to Raid then it shows but then will not show in the advance,drive list,confused , and now out of options, I have contacted Asrock to see if there is a way round this problem,still waiting to here.
      Paul.

Update: Asrock has sent an email with a new bois update and now the drive is showing in the boot order, will load windows and let you know how it went.
      Paul.
      Last edited by paulsd; 03-31-2015, 06:57 AM. Reason: update

Comment

Dear paulsd&parsec

Thanks for your question and suggestion.
        Due to SM951 is a new release product with PCIE3.0 bandwidth and this card have two type (AHCI, NVMe).
        We have test this SSD recently in our lab.
        Please try to download attached special BIOS L2.01N.
        This BIOS have add SM951 M.2 device compatibility.
        https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0D...ew?usp=sharing

Please also note, if want to install this SSD as boot OS device, please install it as GPT mode.
        If any question please feel free to contact us.

ASRock TSD
        Eddy
        Last edited by ASRock TSD-Eddy; 03-31-2015, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ASRock TSD-Eddy View Post
          Dear paulsd&parsec

Due to SM951 is a new release product with PCIE3.0 bandwidth and this card have two type (AHCI, NVMe).

Please also note, if want to install this SSD as boot OS device, please install it as GPT mode.

ASRock TSD
          Eddy
          Thanks Eddy, worked a treat, now have windows installed and booting up.
          A few changes to note, I can no longer assess my other boot drive with windows 7 installed unless I switch over the bois to p1.7,which is not too much of a problem as it was newly installed, everything was backed up earlier one to note for future reference.
          Also all my other hdd,s are showing as usb drives with the new bois in the open devices and printers panel and asked if you want to eject them, maybe a quick fix I don't know, but thanks for your quick help and understanding especially as the drive was not on your spec list and could of fobbed me of but you did not, fantastic service.
          Ever grateful.
          Paul.

Comment

Dear paulsd,

If do BIOS update action, it will returns to BIOS default setting.

Assume you have install several OS HDD on this system, you can enter to BIOS">"Boot" page:
            1.Select "Dard Drive BBS Priorities" to choose your boot HDD priority.
            2.Then choose boot device at "Boot Option"
            Now should can use other HDD as boot device.

About HDD showing as USB drives in the open device and printer panel, could you take some picture for us to verify?
            Is this symptom showing under OS?
            Thanks for your reply.

ASRock TSD
            Eddy.

Comment

Dear paulsd&parsec

ASRock TSD
              Eddy
              It is true that the SM951 was NVMe, apparently at first, but then was changed to AHCI, which seems to be what the final product is. The TweakTown review mentions that:

Samsung SM951 512GB M.2 PCIe SSD Review

"The specifications have changed slightly from July till today. The SM951 we have in our hands and that Samsung announced availability for at CES in January is no longer NVMe, but Samsung's performance ratings increased despite rolling back to the AHCI command set."

About paulsd's situation with the HDDs appearing as "USB devices", the standard Device Manager entries for those drives would be interesting to see too.

Comment

Dear paulsd,

If do BIOS update action, it will returns to BIOS default setting.

Assume you have install several OS HDD on this system, you can enter to BIOS">"Boot" page:
                1.Select "Dard Drive BBS Priorities" to choose your boot HDD priority.
                2.Then choose boot device at "Boot Option"
                Now should can use other HDD as boot device.

About HDD showing as USB drives in the open device and printer panel, could you take some picture for us to verify?
                Is this symptom showing under OS?
                Thanks for your reply.

ASRock TSD
                Eddy.

Ok Eddy,Parsec, all up and running now on fast boot with secure boot enabled, windows loads in 21 seconds, The rest of the hdd,s still show as removable drives in windows and that you can eject them, still have that problem, also when you open the bois the screen freezes for about 4 seconds before it loads the bois but still works ok. I would imagine that this would be fixed on the bois update.
                Regards.

Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by paulsd View Post
                  Ok Eddy,Parsec, all up and running now on fast boot with secure boot enabled, windows loads in 21 seconds, The rest of the hdd,s still show as removable drives in windows and that you can eject them, still have that problem, also when you open the bois the screen freezes for about 4 seconds before it loads the bois but still works ok. I would imagine that this would be fixed on the bois update.
                  Regards.

Paul.
                  Update. have cured the problem of having hdd as usb devices by connecting to intel sata ports and not asmedia ports. Also no freeze on bois loading now, happy days.
                  Paul.
                  Last edited by paulsd; 04-03-2015, 03:21 PM.

Comment

There is a new bios for the Amd 970 performance with improved M.2 compatibility, does it boot the sm951?

Comment

Originally posted by delsolo View Post
                      There is a new bios for the Amd 970 performance with improved M.2 compatibility, does it boot the sm951?
                      I doubt that BIOS update for that board includes support for the SM951. The BIOS version that includes support for the SM951 for the Z97 Extreme6 board is listed as a Beta BIOS version, and not included in the main BIOS download list. The Z97 Extreme6 board is the only ASRock board at this time that even has a Beta BIOS version like this.

Comment

Dear paulsd&parsec

ASRock TSD
                        Eddy
                        Hi Eddy

The most current bios version for the Z97 Extreme 6, is v2.30.
                        I presume v2.30 supersedes the older L2.01N beta bios you provided, and if I'm to try make the SM951 work with the Extreme 6 board currently, then I should flash version 2.30, and not version L2.01N?

Thanks!

Comment

You will need the special bois BIOS L2.01N. to allow the SM951 drive to show up in the boot list as Boot manager.I had all sorts of problems until they gave me this bois update,you can always use your backup bis if you run into trouble.

Comment

Hi Paul, thanks for the reply.

I did read this thread carefully. Your install and bios issues were at the end of March.

Since then, and the L2.01bios, there has been two beta bios versions, and two stable bios versions published.

I'd assume that the fixes from L2.01 would be included in the newer versions? So I'm hoping to install the latest, stable version rather than the beta.

Have you since tried any of the new bios versions? Are you still on L2.01?

Thanks!

Comment

Yes I am still on the L2.01,no reason to change it at the moment. As I said you have a backup bois if you run into problems, that bois was the only way I could use the new sm951 drive, no other bois would work. Have not tried the newer bois so cannot comment but I will say that every time I check for updates it says I have the correct bois loaded.

Comment

Working...
                              X