My new cpu only shows 1 core in bios and 2 in windows but its a quad core

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new cpu only shows 1 core in bios and 2 in windows but its a quad core

I recently got a amd fx 4300 and once i checked it out in the bios it only shows the 0core and no other cores, i used the core unlocker and nothing changed. In windows it shows 2 cores but games run terribly, worse than my previous cpu which was much worse than the fx 4300 even with only 2 cores active. I looked at the motherboard specs and it supports up to 8 cores and 95w cpu's.
    Specs
    amd fx 4300 black edition 3.8ghz
    4gb 1333mhz ram
    asrock 960gc-gs fx
    500w evga power supply
    hd 7950
    Also here is what i see in cpu-z

So far i reset the cmos. Updated bios. Messed around with the core unlocker and the options that were avaible in the bios. None of these helped, but now it doesnt show core0 as activated, it just doesnt show anything.
    Please help.

Re: My new cpu only shows 1 core in bios and 2 in windows but its a quad core

The CPU-Z display showing two cores is not good. What version of Windows are you using?

If you start Windows Resource Monitor and click the CPU tab, you should see a graph for four CPUs, 0 through 3. You said you don't see that, correct? Do you still see two CPUs now?

You just changed to the FX 4300 recently and noticed this problem, is that right?

Your previous processor is only a two core processor, correct?

It's possible that the new CPU was not installed correctly. It must be fully seated in the socket before the locking lever is closed. Did your old CPU come out of the socket easily?

What CPU cooler are you using? Sometimes a CPU cooler that is mounted wrong can cause uneven or to much pressure on the processor, and cause bad connections with some of the pins.

Did the CPU socket have any thermal compound on it from the previous CPU installation?

You should not use any core unlocker with a FX 4300, that option does not apply to this CPU. If you can disable that, do so.

Clear the CMOS/BIOS again, and click the Load BIOS Defaults option in the Exit screen. Then select save and exit, and go back into the BIOS.

I'm going by your board's manual for the following, usually BIOS updates do not have updates to the manual, so I may be missing options added in later BIOS versions.

First, with the default BIOS values loaded, I don't see any screen that shows each core, or anything that lists the number of cores, except in the Main screen that shows the CPU information read from the CPU, that will say "... Quad Core...", for example.

Get into the BIOS and go into the OC Tweaker screen. Look for the Advanced Clock Calibration option, Disabled by default. Highlight that option and bring up the settings. One of them should be "Per Core", select it. You should then see a line for each core recognized by the BIOS. How many do you get?

Comment

Thank you for the response. I have a small update. I think windows wasn't recognizing the cores correctly so i installed the hotfixes for the bulldozer cores and instead of ridiculous framerates (5 avg fps) i now get 25avg fps but that still doesn't compare to the sempron 145(avg 40fps) i had before (the benchmark i used was the in game hitman absolution benchmark). I also ran Prime95 on highest settings to see if the motherbard was throttling, and it wasn't. But i noticed throttling when prime 95 wasn't running sometimes the core speed went up to 3800mhz and now its at 1402.68mhz and the multiplier is x7.0. I think the motherboard throttling is causing the bad performance or the fact i didn't freshly install windows when replacing the cpu. I reset the cmos and restored bios to default settings, and turned off apm and thats how i got the performance to rise up a bit. And also when i select the option one per core i do not get an option to turn on my other cores, maybe there all enabled and its the windows that shows me only 2 ? On my previous cpu the phenom 2 x4 830 i had an option to select my cores. Either way i will re install windows in a couple hours and give you an update. Thank you so much for your help.

Comment

Did you get a chance to check msconfig BOOT|ADVANCED OPTIONS by any chance, once a friend of mine messed with the cores and got stuck on 1 core and had to reload a backup image to get windows to use all 4 cores again...

Comment

Originally posted by Joe-912 View Post
          Did you get a chance to check msconfig BOOT|ADVANCED OPTIONS by any chance, once a friend of mine messed with the cores and got stuck on 1 core and had to reload a backup image to get windows to use all 4 cores again...
          Yes as i said it only shows 2 cores, I will reinstall windows today and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
          X