Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AM1B-ITX No Power

Hello,

So I just bought an AM1B-ITX mobo, I originally had it working for a few min, then at one point I couldn't get it to power back on. I exchanged the mobo and I still have the same issue. I know the PSU is good because I tested with another mobo, I also had a second newer PSU and the AM1B-ITX would not power up with that either. So my question is... if the CPU is dead would the fan on the mobo come on at all, or would it seem like it not getting any power at all?

Thanks

Re: AM1B-ITX No Power

Originally posted by popz3210 View Post
    Hello,

So I just bought an AM1B-ITX mobo, I originally had it working for a few min, then at one point I couldn't get it to power back on. I exchanged the mobo and I still have the same issue. I know the PSU is good because I tested with another mobo, I also had a second newer PSU and the AM1B-ITX would not power up with that either. So my question is... if the CPU is dead would the fan on the mobo come on at all, or would it seem like it not getting any power at all?

Thanks
    The "fan on the mobo" you mentioned I assume is the CPU cooler's fan?

Any fans connected to a board would run if the CPU was defective, in general. If a CPU was so damaged that it was a short circuit load on the CPU power supply, then the PSU might shut off.

Fans connected to a board with power applied to the board would run if no CPU was in the board.

A defective CPU that died shortly after being used for the first time is very rare. I'm curious about what happened between, "... had it working for a few min, then at one point I couldn't get it to power back on".

Is this board mounted in a PC case? What are the PSUs that you are using? Also, what CPU are you using?

Comment

Had you a bios update to version 1.50 first time?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
        The "fan on the mobo" you mentioned I assume is the CPU cooler's fan?

Any fans connected to a board would run if the CPU was defective, in general. If a CPU was so damaged that it was a short circuit load on the CPU power supply, then the PSU might shut off.

Fans connected to a board with power applied to the board would run if no CPU was in the board.

A defective CPU that died shortly after being used for the first time is very rare. I'm curious about what happened between, "... had it working for a few min, then at one point I couldn't get it to power back on".

Is this board mounted in a PC case? What are the PSUs that you are using? Also, what CPU are you using?

AMD Athlon 5350

It's a really odd problem... when I had the first mobo, I put the CPU in, installed RAM, and started it up... no image on the screen or post, so I turned it off.

I used different RAM (I guess this board is a pain when it comes to using the right RAM), it worked.

Powered it off, then right back on, it worked again.

Powered it off and on again one more time, and nothing happened no cpu fan... nothing.

Powered it off, removed the RAM, nothing.

Tried another PSU, nothing.

Exchanged the board at the store, still nothing on either PSU.

I am getting a corsair CS450M, but I read somewhere, I think in a newegg review, that this PSU doesn’t work.

I don't know what to do, worst case I can buy an MSI m-itx board, but it only has 2 sata ports.

Thanks</SPAN>

Comment

Originally posted by bahram_alinezhad View Post
          Had you a bios update to version 1.50 first time?
          No, I didn't even get the chance.

Comment

I have this board and I am using it now. I have a problem as follows:
            When I plug the main, I have to wait some minutes before pressing the power button, else, it won't power on. I found that USB devices connected to it are source of problem!
            If I connect some external hard disks before turning on, it won't power up at all! on the other hand, if I disconnect my USB mouse, can start it immediately.
            As my power supply is very old and is not suitable for today computers, I blamed the PSU and also never tested with another PSU because I tolerate this problem. Now, If you have a good and powerful PSU, you can ignore this post and continue your investigation; else, it may be a clue for you.
            Last edited by bahram_alinezhad; 04-21-2015, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by popz3210 View Post
              No, I didn't even get the chance.
              I asked you about the bios because I have a bad experience after updating to last version (1.50). This version of bios turns the computer off and on after any change of settings in bios setup. I see this behavior on many today motherboards and it is so disgusting! Reading my problem in previous post, you understand how much bad is that I have to disconnect my external devices and connect them again when I change a bios setting (e.g. boot device).

Comment

Working...
              X