Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New CPU Cooler

Hi all,

I'm looking for a new CPU Cooler to buy, but am having some trouble finding one that will be compatible with my setup.

Specs:
    i7-4790k
    4x DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro Series RAM (Red, if that matters)
    ASRock z97-13b Motherboard
    Thermaltake Chaser Mk-I with the stock fans

Now... there's a couple things that I've been considering here. For one thing, AIO or air? If I do AIO, the only thing that makes me nervous is screwing around with the already good airflow in the case (since I'd need to set up the radiator as an intake, and both the back and top fans are set as exhaust... would moving the top fan to the side of the case work?); and if I do air, I need something that will clear all four of the Corsair Vengeance RAM modules.

Can someone give me a good reccomendation for a CPU Cooler or fan? Also, are AIOs really as safe as they're made out to be, as far as leaks go?

I'm looking because the stock heatsink that came with the processor managed to detach itself on 3 of the 4 screws sometime while the PC was running, and the processor started staying at around 95C-110C when idle/just turned on.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Re: New CPU Cooler

Originally posted by MyHogs View Post
    Hi all,

I'm looking for a new CPU Cooler to buy, but am having some trouble finding one that will be compatible with my setup.

Specs:
    i7-4790k
    4x DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro Series RAM (Red, if that matters)
    ASRock z97-13b Motherboard
    Thermaltake Chaser Mk-I with the stock fans

Now... there's a couple things that I've been considering here. For one thing, AIO or air? If I do AIO, the only thing that makes me nervous is screwing around with the already good airflow in the case (since I'd need to set up the radiator as an intake, and both the back and top fans are set as exhaust... would moving the top fan to the side of the case work?); and if I do air, I need something that will clear all four of the Corsair Vengeance RAM modules.

Can someone give me a good reccomendation for a CPU Cooler or fan? Also, are AIOs really as safe as they're made out to be, as far as leaks go?

I'm looking because the stock heatsink that came with the processor managed to detach itself on 3 of the 4 screws sometime while the PC was running, and the processor started staying at around 95C-110C when idle/just turned on.

Thanks for any and all advice.
    You have an "ASRock z97-13b"? That must be a typo, or can you explain where you got such a model?

You asked about AIO liquid coolers, but did not specify the size of the radiator. Related to fan size, there are 120, 140, 240, 280, and even a 360mm AIO cooler available. It sounds like you are thinking of a 240mm, due to the top mounting. A review of your case by an owner said a radiator of that size (H100i) can be mounted below the top 200mm fan, although he must be using air inside the case for cooling it. Thermaltake Chaser Series Chaser MK-I (VN300M1W2N) Black SECC ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com

If you are worried about not using an AIO cooler in intake mode, consider that every air CPU cooler uses the air within the case to cool the heatsink. That can be changed somewhat by having the top rear fan setup as an intake fan blowing air towards the fan on an air CPU cooler.

I've had five AIO coolers, none of them leaked a drop. Given the number of AIO models available from many manufactures, if they were prone to leaking no one would buy or sell them.

You need to look for air CPU coolers that have an offset heatsink, or an extra high one to clear your memory. Also, not all air coolers will interfere with memory, depending upon how they are mounted.

One manufacture that claims their products do not interfere with memory is CRYORIG: CRYORIG | Research Idea Gear

Another manufacture I like has several products that would clear your memory, Thermalright: Ultimate CPU Cooling Solutions! Thermalright

Comment

Working...
    X