ASRock C226 WS graphics output resolution support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock C226 WS graphics output resolution support

I'm looking at getting an ASRock C226 WS, and using the integrated graphics from an i7-4790K (or maybe an E3-1246v3, haven't decided yet). On the product page, and in the manual, it says "Graphics - Output - Max. 2048x1536 @ 75Hz".
    Is this just for the D-Sub VGA port, or does this apply to the digital outputs as well?
    Other manufacturers support higher resolutions than this from the iGPU over the digital outputs, like the Asus P9D WS says "Supports DisplayPort with max. resolution 3200 x 2000 @ 60 Hz".
    I want to run a monitor at 2560x1440 using the iGPU. Can I do it with this board?

Re: ASRock C226 WS graphics output resolution support

Good question, only ASRock can answer it precisely, but I have a feeling the answer is in the (odd) specification itself. That is, Graphics - Output - Max. 2048x1536 @ 75Hz

Intel does not spec their graphics at 75Hz, the maximum is 60Hz (scroll down to Display and Audio Features Comparison):

https://software.intel.com/en-us/art...graphics#foot3

Check the 4th Generation Intel Core Processors, 4600 for an i7-4970K, the E3 Xeon is P4600, basically identical.

Note that the Asus board's spec is at 60Hz.

Comment

I had also sent an e-mail to ASRock tech support, this is what they said:
      Thank you for your effort in reaching out to us for your question! The maximum display resolution from the HDMI and Display Port is based on the CPU installed the at the time. However, I will get some more information from the test to see what is the highest resolution ever achieved using our CPU. And I will let you know. Thank you!

There was a table attached, for some reason as an image:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	image001.png
Views:	1
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	754954

It seems even the lowest level (Y-Processor, whatever that is) supports 2560x1600 at 60Hz - which is enough for what I want to do. It looks like it should support up to 4k monitors too.

Comment

That image was taken from the page at Intel's web site that I provided a link to in my previous post.

The H, U, and Y processors are all mobile CPUs used in laptops, etc.

Comment

Oh yes, of course! I read it earlier but didn't recall where I'd seen it. Given that this was the response from support, it seems that the C226 WS should support the display modes of the chipset properly. I'll update if/when ASRock come back to me with further info.

Comment

ASRock support have now updated the website specifications page to reflect the actual resolutions:

- HDMI: max resolution up to 4096 x 2304@ 24 Hz
            - DisplayPort 1.2 : max resolution up to3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz
            - DVI : max resolution up to 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Excellent!! I will now be putting in my order for one of these boards, once I've sorted out my other components.

Comment

Working...
            X