XMP Memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XMP Memory

Hi all, just a general question on xmp memory I have built a mATX system MSI H81m E33 motherboard (latest Bios), G3258 cpu @4GHz 8GB KHX1600C9D3P Kingston hyper Genesis 1600, windows 7, question is does the Pentium G3258 limit memory speed which in the bios is Max 1400MHz, no xmp settings show up, or am I able to input memory speed only drop down list with max 1400MHz.
    I did look over at the MSI forums but the colour scheme does my eyes no good.
    Thanks for help all
    Joe

Re: XMP Memory

I don't have your MSI board, but I can tell you that a G3258 does not limit memory speed settings in a BIOS. This is my G3258 running my Samsung memory at 2000:

Click image for larger version

Name:	CPU-Z G3258 4.5GHz Validated.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	754952

The memory frequency is 1001MHz, so the DDR3 memory speed is 2002. This Samsung memory does not have any XMP profiles in its SPD data. The UEFI/BIOS on this board provides a list of memory speeds that can be used, 2000 being in that list. Most newer boards do not allow you to enter a memory speed directly, the speed is chosen from a list like you mentioned.

XMP is usually an option that is enabled or disabled. Enabling it will cause the settings programmed into the XMP data to be copied into the appropriate options in the BIOS. It is possible for more than one set of XMP data to be programmed into a memory module, but that is rare and being used more now with DDR4 memory. In that case the BIOS should allow the selection of which set of XMP data to be used.

It is also possible for a BIOS to not support XMP data, which seems to be the case with your MSI board. Your memory has an XMP data profile programmed into it, but it can't be used if the XMP option is not available. You can look at the XMP data with CPU-Z for example, and manually enter the XMP data values, assuming your BIOS allows you to enter those values.

I've read about some budget boards limiting memory speeds, which may be the case with your board. The G3258 specs guarantee a memory speed of only 1333, but that can be surpassed as you have seen. The limit of 1400 may be programmed into the BIOS when a G3258 is used in that board. That limit is not specifically caused by the processor, but the BIOS only allows 1400 as the maximum speed when a G3258 is used.

EDIT: User reviews of this board on Newegg mention a limit of 1400 for the memory speed. No other details given.
    Last edited by parsec; 04-26-2015, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Thanks Parsec for answering, I've read the specs on some websites that the board supports xmp memory, but no where in there can I find such a setting, I was only allowed to input memory timings and voltage, and like you said I can not imput 1600MHz manually, maybe the bios is the limiting factor.
      when I got the board I updated the Bios to latest and ME firmware, Should I have cleared cmos after? Any way I will have a play with this board but I must say the G3258 is a great little chip.
      Thanks again I report back if I get any further
      Regards
      Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Joe-912 View Post
        Thanks Parsec for answering, I've read the specs on some websites that the board supports xmp memory, but no where in there can I find such a setting, I was only allowed to input memory timings and voltage, and like you said I can not imput 1600MHz manually, maybe the bios is the limiting factor.
        when I got the board I updated the Bios to latest and ME firmware, Should I have cleared cmos after? Any way I will have a play with this board but I must say the G3258 is a great little chip.
        Thanks again I report back if I get any further
        Regards
        Joe
        Whenever you update a board's BIOS, the CMOS is cleared as part of the process, so no need to clear it. Some mobo manufactures say not to clear the CMOS right after a BIOS update. If any new options or settings were added or changed in the new BIOS version, you would see them the first time you went into the BIOS, a CMOS clear would not change anything like that.

I just noticed that your memory, Kingston KHX1600C9D3P (1600 speed) is listed in your board's memory support list.

I did find that this Kingston memory does not have any XMP profiles, so you won't see an XMP option in your BIOS. The XMP option in the BIOS will only appear if the memory being used has an XMP profile. That is why some users get the XMP option, and others don't.

Here's an example of memory with an XMP profile:

You can run CPU-Z yourself on that PC and see what you get, but it seems this memory does not have an XMP profile. All XMP does is automatically set the speed and basic timings of a memory module. If your board would allow a speed of 1600 only with an XMP profile, that is strange.

We can see speed and timing data for speeds up to 1954, the JEDEC #7 column, 977MHz. This memory has OC potential, as seen in this review:

Benchmark Results: Latency And Overclocking - Seven 8 GB DDR3 Memory Kits For Your AMD A75 Motherboard

With just two DIMM slots, and what looks like a single phase memory power VRM, this board is not designed for higher speed memory.

Comment

Well spotted your right they don't have xmp profile I don't no what made me think there was
          Click image for larger version

Name:	No xmp.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	754953
          Yes I think the board limits the memory hey, I tried in XTU to change the memory divider to give me 1600MHz but it fails to boot, the memory was only £52 so pretty cheap any way, thanks for the help as always
          I'm just in the process of upgrading my Asrock build I've got Z97 Asus Maximus 7 Hero, 16gb 2133MHz G-skill Sniper, 4790K all to swap over as soon as I get around to it, I've tested the system on test bench all seems working so can't wait to get couple of days to swap it all out.
          Thanks again Parsec

Comment

Sure, my pleasure, but sorry for the somewhat bad news about the XMP profile.

That Kingston memory is advertised as "Plug N Play", meaning it would default to run at 1600, which might be why you thought it had a XMP profile.

I see in the specs for this memory that it seems to need 1.65V to run at 1600, although we don't see that in the JEDEC data in CPU-Z.

http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KHX1600C9D3_4G.pdf

Comment

Thanks for last bit of info, yes the pnp bit might have made me think it was xmp, when I swap over my Asus Maximus 7 Hero board I might try my Kingston KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX kit on the MSI board I know that as got xmp profile for sure, I know it probably won't run at 1600 but just to see what the bios has to say...
              Thanks again
              joe

Comment

Working...
              X