Bios f7 z97-ud5h-bk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bios f7 z97-ud5h-bk

I just checked the latest BIOS F7 for this board (see title)...and in the description it says 'This BIOS prohibits updating to earlier version BIOS'-

I take that to mean that once I flash the BIOS to F7, there's no flashing it back to F6'-

I hope I misunderstood 'cause I've never heard of that before, and if true, it sounds like it is just a 'giant-step-backwards' anyway!

All comments wlecome!

Re: Bios f7 z97-ud5h-bk

It sure does say that, This BIOS prohibits updating to earlier version BIOS, which IMO is a clear statement.

That BIOS update also includes, Supports Intel® 5th Generation Core™ Processor.

I checked two other Gigabyte Z97 boards, which have the same BIOS update for Intel 5th Generation processors. Both included the same warning about updating to earlier BIOS versions.

The only other situation I'm aware of that a specific BIOS update disallowed any updates to previous versions, is the Intel Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge processor compatibility update for Intel 6 series chipset boards.

One part of that update was a change in the IME firmware that is contained in the UEFI/BIOS image itself. The IME firmware update is the reason updates to previous BIOS versions were prohibited. Changing to an earlier version causes a no POST, no boot situation, fixable only by replacing the BIOS CMOS chip. I've seen that too many times in the ASRock forum.

If this update is similar, hopefully the new BIOS will prevent updates to previous BIOS versions, since that might result in the same thing the SB to IVB update causes when updating to earlier BIOS versions. It sure seems like it is IMO.

IF this is a similar scenario with the Intel 5th generation processors, don't blame Gigabyte, it's Intel's fault. Just like it was with the SB to IVB compatibility BIOS update.

OMG if this is the case for Broadwell compatibility, here we go again!

Comment

There was a similar situation with Z87 boards, once a certain BIOS was installed there was no backing up. F9 for the Z87X-UD5H was for "improved overclocking". Never had any problems with it, and I think I actually used @BIOS instead of EFI flash in that case.
      Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
      Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
      PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
      Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
      Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
      HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
      SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
        It sure does say that, This BIOS prohibits updating to earlier version BIOS, which IMO is a clear statement.

That BIOS update also includes, Supports Intel® 5th Generation Core™ Processor.

I checked two other Gigabyte Z97 boards, which have the same BIOS update for Intel 5th Generation processors. Both included the same warning about updating to earlier BIOS versions.

The only other situation I'm aware of that a specific BIOS update disallowed any updates to previous versions, is the Intel Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge processor compatibility update for Intel 6 series chipset boards.

One part of that update was a change in the IME firmware that is contained in the UEFI/BIOS image itself. The IME firmware update is the reason updates to previous BIOS versions were prohibited. Changing to an earlier version causes a no POST, no boot situation, fixable only by replacing the BIOS CMOS chip. I've seen that too many times in the ASRock forum.

If this update is similar, hopefully the new BIOS will prevent updates to previous BIOS versions, since that might result in the same thing the SB to IVB update causes when updating to earlier BIOS versions. It sure seems like it is IMO.

IF this is a similar scenario with the Intel 5th generation processors, don't blame Gigabyte, it's Intel's fault. Just like it was with the SB to IVB compatibility BIOS update.

OMG if this is the case for Broadwell compatibility, here we go again!
        Makes sense-
        Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by boondocks View Post
          There was a similar situation with Z87 boards, once a certain BIOS was installed there was no backing up. F9 for the Z87X-UD5H was for "improved overclocking". Never had any problems with it, and I think I actually used @BIOS instead of EFI flash in that case.
          Probably no point in my flashing to (new) F7 if everything is working okay...
          Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X