Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming-3 RAM problem with Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP

Hello all,

I have problems with my newly bought Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 3 rev 1.1 board when trying with an Intel i7-4970K and 4x8GB=32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP memory modules (BLS4K8G3D1609ES2LX0).

Regardless of what BIOS settings I change or combination of m/b slots used, the system doesn't post whenever I use Channel A (i.e. slots DIMM3_2 and DIMM3_4 which are towards the cpu). The system gets power for a few seconds, but with just black screen, then the cpu fan stops, the system halts and restarts.

I have updated to F6 BIOS, tried different combinations (XMP memory profile 1/2/disabled, different RAM voltages/timings, etc) and resets and still nothing :( The RAM is 1.35V. I have tested and it is known to work in another (non-Gigabyte) motherboard.

The only working combinations for me is 1 or 2 modules in Channel B (i.e. slots DIMM3_3 and DIMM3_1). Anything in Channel A and I get a boot loop.

Any ideas ?

Thanks
    Last edited by gorg; 05-02-2015, 09:02 PM.

Re: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming-3 RAM problem with Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP

If memory is known good, test one slot at a time. Put a stick in slot A1 and see if it boots properly. Then put a stick in A2 and see if it boots properly.

Then pull your CPU and check carefully for bent CPU pins. Preferably with a magnifying glass. If the pins are ok, carefully reseat the CPU and try again as above. If you have problems with the same slot(s), exchange the board for a new one - you have a bad ram slot.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks dewot,

I've already tested with 1 module. Works if it is inserted in either of Channel B's slots but not when inserted in either of Channel A's slots. I will check for bent pins.

Comment

Take out the CPU and inspect CPU socket pins for bent/broken pins.
        You can take clear macro pictures with good light, or you can use a magnifier if you have one.
        The pins must be aligned vertically and horizontally

Comment

From a first rough observation I didn't notice any bent or broken pins. I will try to check again later with a magnifier but I suspect it's not this.

Comment

If you got DIGI cam(not phone) post few clear sharp macro pictures with good light (e.g. phone cam flash) at max resolution.
            In most case this is the reason for this kind of problem, otherwise it is the board or (rarely) the CPU.
            Inspect the PCB as well, both sides.

Comment

@Chike

That's a great idea, thanks. I'll do it in 11 hours.

Comment

http://i.imgur.com/gMlrirb.jpg

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02000a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	754970
                Last edited by gorg; 05-03-2015, 11:40 PM. Reason: link to full resolution

Comment

http://i.imgur.com/FXDzaCt.jpg

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02008a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	754971
                  Last edited by gorg; 05-03-2015, 11:39 PM. Reason: link to full resolution

Comment

The best socket macros I've seen yet.
                    Couldn't see anything wrong there, if no one else does it must be down to the board or CPU.

Comment

Thanks. Looks like my only option would be to return the m/b as I don't have other RAM modules or LGA 1150 CPUs that I can test with it - might be complicated as it's been bought from a smaller shop in China rather than a big retailer :(

Comment

Working...
                      X