Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help: Gigabyte Z87X-OC Force. PC does not start

Hallo everyone,
    I really need your help, I spent the whole last two days trying to find the problem but I coud not.
    I am building my first PC, as following:

CPU: i7-4790
    MB: Gigabyte Z87X-OC Force
    PSU: Corsair CS550M
    RAM: 2 x 4GB Corsiar Vengeance 1600 Mhz.
    Case: Corsair Carbide 300R.

I connect everything according to instruction but the PC does not start, and I am not sure what the problem is. I check the Power Switch on the front panel of my case but I could not find any problem with it. I also checked all other connections and switches but everything looks fine. I could only think of the following reasons:

According to Gigabyte instructions, there are three power connectors on the motherboard: ATX_12V_2X4 (8 Pin); ATX_12V (4 Pin); and ATX (24 Pin). From my corsair PSU, I only have the ATX and the ATX_12V_2X4 connectors, which I connect accordingly. I am missing the ATX_12V (4 Pin). The only available cables have either SATA power connector or the 6 pin PCI Express power connector. I try to attach the 6 Pin cable in the ATX_12V (4 Pin) in both orientations, but it did not work at all.

Is this is the problem? Do I need both ATX_12V_2X4 (8 Pin) and ATX_12V (4 Pin), so my computer can start. If yes, any suggestions on how to solve that given the limited options I have from my Corsair PSU.

Note: If I use the Onboard Buttons of the motherboard, I found that, by clicking the OC Ignition button (OC_IGNITION) and then the Power button (PW_SW), the PC start, but no signal; all leds are on, all fans work including the CPU fan, but I obtain no signal from my graphic card.

I have also tested the motherboard with new Power supply unit, and also with another Intel Processor i5-4570, but still nothing.

So, I do not understand what is the problem here, If I need the second ATX_12V (4 Pin), why the motherboard worked when I clicked the onboard buttons. Is there something wrong with my motherboard?

I really need help here. I cannot return the motherboard since I got it as a present long time ago, and only now I was able to get some budget to build my first computer, but it seems I lost all the budget I have for nothing.

Please Help!!!!
    Thanks in advanced

Re: Need Help: Gigabyte Z87X-OC Force. PC does not start

I hope you are aware that not all bios versions of the z87x-OC force support the Devil's Canyon( i7 4790). That is the first thing you must bear in mind when building. In that case you'll need an older compatible haswell to start with and then update the bios to probably the latest to support your i7 4790.

Since you say you tried to boot with the i5 4570, then there may be some issue with the board. Did you clear the cmos before testing with i5 4570 ? Since the board has been sitting for a long while, is the Cmos battery O.K ?
    You could also take a close look at your cpu pins, see if there are any bent pins in the socket. You could take a good picture and post here as some others do.
    It could be voltage/static issues, make sure there are no shorts coming from the case or anywhere else.

What type of ram are you using and is it compatible with the z87x-oc force from the Gigabyte website ? Have you tried with only one ram stick to trouble shoot the ram sticks ?

Personally, when running high end boards like the OC and high end i7 processors, I always give the board the full 8 pin power supply from the +12v. More important if you are running other high end video cards etc and plan on overclocking the CPU. In that case, you will have to give it all the power that is necessary. Your corsair provides 43 Amps on the +12v rail and it does support 4+4 (8 pin) 12v_ATX . The modular - the 8 pin EPS12V connector can be pulled apart for 2x - ATX_12V (4 Pin) connectivity or kept together for full 8 pin use. You are not missing the ATX_12V (4 Pin). It is just half of your exisitng 8 pin EPs12v. You either use 8 pin only or 4 pin only not both. The 6 Pin cable is not meant for the CPU. It is for an external graphic card placed in the PCI express slots for extra power.

If you are using the integrated graphics which is provided by your CPU, then if your CPU is not powering up, you will not receive any video signals. OC Ignition button gives continuous, uninterrupted power to all the motherboard's connected drives and system fans, but not to the CPU (In other words, without powering the CPU). So, a faulty cpu or Cpu socket or incompatible Cpu will still not give you much. You never mentioned if you were running of the backup bios, or main bios and if the diagnostic module came on at all ???
    Last edited by TicTacToe; 05-05-2015, 09:36 AM.
    i7 8700k - z370 Asus Rog maximus 10 hero(wifi) (soho)
    G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB
    Corsair PSU, 1
    080Ti EVGA
    960 Samsung Evo , 2 WD Black Storage.
    Builds - Z97x-Gaming 7(media center) . Gigabyte x399 - Gaming 7 Threadripper 1950x (workstation)

Comment

The 12V power connector mainly supplies power to the CPU. If the 12V power connector is not connected,
      the computer will not start.
      Which is the 12V power connector they don't say.
      How can they make such motherboards when they cannot write a manual is a wonder.
      Try the 4 pin instead of the 4+4 see if that work.

Comment

Originally posted by TicTacToe View Post
        I hope you are aware that not all bios versions of the z87x-OC force support the Devil's Canyon( i7 4790). That is the first thing you must bear in mind when building. In that case you'll need an older compatible haswell to start with and then update the bios to probably the latest to support your i7 4790.

Since you say you tried to boot with the i5 4570, then there may be some issue with the board. Did you clear the cmos before testing with i5 4570 ? Since the board has been sitting for a long while, is the Cmos battery O.K ?
        You could also take a close look at your cpu pins, see if there are any bent pins in the socket. You could take a good picture and post here as some others do.
        It could be voltage/static issues, make sure there are no shorts coming from the case or anywhere else.

What type of ram are you using and is it compatible with the z87x-oc force from the Gigabyte website ? Have you tried with only one ram stick to trouble shoot the ram sticks ?

Personally, when running high end boards like the OC and high end i7 processors, I always give the board the full 8 pin power supply from the +12v. More important if you are running other high end video cards etc and plan on overclocking the CPU. In that case, you will have to give it all the power that is necessary. Your corsair provides 43 Amps on the +12v rail and it does support 4+4 (8 pin) 12v_ATX . The modular - the 8 pin EPS12V connector can be pulled apart for 2x - ATX_12V (4 Pin) connectivity or kept together for full 8 pin use. You are not missing the ATX_12V (4 Pin). It is just half of your exisitng 8 pin EPs12v. You either use 8 pin only or 4 pin only not both. The 6 Pin cable is not meant for the CPU. It is for an external graphic card placed in the PCI express slots for extra power.

If you are using the integrated graphics which is provided by your CPU, then if your CPU is not powering up, you will not receive any video signals. OC Ignition button gives continuous, uninterrupted power to all the motherboard's connected drives and system fans, but not to the CPU (In other words, without powering the CPU). So, a faulty cpu or Cpu socket or incompatible Cpu will still not give you much. You never mentioned if you were running of the backup bios, or main bios and if the diagnostic module came on at all ???
        Thanks for the information.
        1) I was told that not all the bios version of this motherboard is compatible with the i7-4790, and that is why I tried it with the i5-4570, which I believe is compatible. I thought if it work, I can then update my bios to the BIOS ver F8, which is compatible with my CPU according to the Gigabyte website.
        2) Yes, I tried to clear the CMOS, by pressing the CMOS_Clear button on the motherboard for 7 seconds, but it did not work either.
        3) For RAM, I am using the 2 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 Mhz; and yes I tried the single RAM stick, but still did not work.
        4) I am not planning to overclocking my CPU and I am tested the system with both internal GPU and the Asus GTX 760 2GB, and both did not work also.
        5) I tested all my components one by one on a different PC system and all of them work fine.
        6) Regarding which BIOS, I tried to boot from both the main BIOS and the Backup one using the BIOS_SW button on the motherboard. I also tried using single or dual BIOS option.

I will test again the using a new power supply and a different RAM, but I am not sure what is the problem. I also uploded a photo of the CPU socket.

Any other suggestions.
        Thanks.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by moh19814; 05-05-2015, 11:27 AM.

Comment

You haven't told us the model number for your memory.

The Corsair Memory Finder lists the following 2 x 4GB memory kits for your Z87X-OC Force motherboard:
          1. Vengeance® Low Profile Blue — 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CML8GX3M2A1600C9B)
          2. Vengeance® Low Profile — 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CML8GX3M2A1600C9)
          3. XMS3 — 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz C9 Memory Kit (CMX8GX3M2A1600C9)

If your memory is not one of these kits or if your memory kit is not in the Gigabyte Memory QVL list, your memory kit is probably not compatible with your motherboard.

Link to the Corsair Memory Finder: Memory Finder

There are 25 different Vengeance kits at Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Memory Kits

**edit**
          This is a list of 12 possible 1600MHz Vengeance memory kits: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Memory Kits
          Last edited by profJim; 05-05-2015, 12:38 PM.
          Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
          P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
          4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
          MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
          Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
          WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
          Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
          SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
          Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
          Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
          Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
          MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
          Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
          HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
          CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
          E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
          Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
          Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
          HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
            You haven't told us the model number for your memory.

The Corsair Memory Finder lists the following 2 x 4GB memory kits for your Z87X-OC Force motherboard:
            1. Vengeance® Low Profile Blue — 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CML8GX3M2A1600C9B)
            2. Vengeance® Low Profile — 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CML8GX3M2A1600C9)
            3. XMS3 — 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz C9 Memory Kit (CMX8GX3M2A1600C9)

If your memory is not one of these kits or if your memory kit is not in the Gigabyte Memory QVL list, your memory kit is probably not compatible with your motherboard.

Link to the Corsair Memory Finder: Memory Finder

There are 25 different Vengeance kits at Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Memory Kits

**edit**
            This is a list of 12 possible 1600MHz Vengeance memory kits: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Memory Kits
            Thanks for the info. My Ram is the following:
            Vengeance

I replace them with one from samsung but still nothing.

What I did so far is the following:

1) Replace the CPU with the intel i5-4570,
            2) Rest BIOS by removing the battery and then reinsert it again,
            3) Clear CMOS using the onboard button,
            4) Use different RAM sockets / combinations (single or double) from Kingston or Corsair,
            5) Use different Power Supply, Power Switch (PC Case).
            6) Check if any of the CPU Pins and see if there are any bent pins in the socket.

So far nothing work except when using the OC Ignition button

Any suggestions.

Comment

You're welcome.

The memory kit model number that you linked to is CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 and this kit is not in Corsair's compatibility list for your motherboard.

Have you downloaded the GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1150 - GA-Z87X-OC Force (rev. 1.x) Memory Support List to see which memory kits Gigabyte has found to be compatible with your system?

You are probably wasting your time testing with different memory kits unless one of the kits is approved by Gigabyte or Corsair for your motherboard.

From what I see in the forum, Haswell cpu's are very picky and won't boot or probably won't be stable unless you install memory kits that have been tested for compatibility with your motherboard by Gigabyte or the memory manufacturer.

If you don't believe me, contact Corsair or Gigabyte tech support and see what they say about memory that has not been found to be compatible with your cpu/motherboard setup.
              E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
              Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
              Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
              HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

Comment

re: your CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 memory kit

Check out the first two posts in this Corair forum thread: CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 compatibility for motherboard and processor - The Corsair User Forums

The OP in the thread has an AMD system and and the Ram Guy (Corsair Product Guru) says "... but these modules are made for and tested on Intel Sandy bridge ...".

If you recently bought the memory, Corsair might be willing to swap your memory kit for a kit that has been tested with your system.

Comment

You're welcome.

The memory kit model number that you linked to is CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 and this kit is not in Corsair's compatibility list for your motherboard.

Have you downloaded the GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1150 - GA-Z87X-OC Force (rev. 1.x) Memory Support List to see which memory kits Gigabyte has found to be compatible with your system?

You are probably wasting your time testing with different memory kits unless one of the kits is approved by Gigabyte or Corsair for your motherboard.

From what I see in the forum, Haswell cpu's are very picky and won't boot or probably won't be stable unless you install memory kits that have been tested for compatibility with your motherboard by Gigabyte or the memory manufacturer.

If you don't believe me, contact Corsair or Gigabyte tech support and see what they say about memory that has not been found to be compatible with your cpu/motherboard setup.
                  Thanks for the info once again. But my memory kit is compatible with the motherboard. I already confirm that with Gigabyte and also my RAM kit is on the Memory Support list, which you add in your post (second Page, No. CET16D6-C).

So, if it is not the Ram, what it could be else.
                  Note: I test the RAM kit with another system to check if there is anything wrong with this kit, but everything work fine on the other PC system.

Comment

Sometimes there can be a problem with the motherboard installed in the computer case, such as a short circuit or a motherboard stand-off problem.

Remove the motherboard from the case, and place it on a large book or cardboard box beside your computer case.
                    Never power on your motherboard with an anti-static bag under the motherboard!!

Test your system with a minimal hardware setup where your only goal is to get into the bios.
                    Double check that any front panel wires are properly connected to the motherboard.

I always build and test my systems this way before I connect hard drives and other hardware.

Sometimes the problem is near the rear I/O panel or with a "misplaced" motherboard stand-off.

In one thread with a similar problem, the OP accidentally connected the case's front panel usb 3.0 cable bass-ackwards in the motherboard's socket and his system was finally able to post and boot after the usb 3.0 cable was disconnected from the motherboard.

BTW, if you had been able to force the 6-pin pci-e power cable into the 8-pin EPS_12v motherboard connector, you would have had a MAJOR SHORT CIRCUIT that might have caused serious damage.
                    Last edited by profJim; 05-05-2015, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Sometimes there can be a problem with the motherboard installed in the computer case, such as a short circuit or a motherboard stand-off problem.

Remove the motherboard from the case, and place it on a large book or cardboard box beside your computer case.
                      Never power on your motherboard with an anti-static bag under the motherboard!!

Test your system with a minimal hardware setup where your only goal is to get into the bios.
                      Double check that any front panel wires are properly connected to the motherboard.

I always build and test my systems this way before I connect hard drives and other hardware.

Sometimes the problem is near the rear I/O panel or with a "misplaced" motherboard stand-off.

In one thread with a similar problem, the OP accidentally connected the case's front panel usb 3.0 cable bass-ackwards in the motherboard's socket and his system was finally able to post and boot after the usb 3.0 cable was disconnected from the motherboard.

BTW, if you had been able to force the 6-pin pci-e power cable into the 8-pin EPS_12v motherboard connector, you would have had a MAJOR SHORT CIRCUIT that might have caused serious damage.
                      I did that, I took out the motherboard and placed it on its box, and then install one memory stick, the CPU, and connected the power supply and a power switch to turn on the system. Again nothing happen, but only with clicking the OC_IGNITION button.
                      I did not force the 6-pin pci-e power cable into the 8-pin EPS_12v motherboard connector. My question was I has three types of connectors on the motherboard, the 24 Pin, 8 Pin, and 4 Pin connectors. Since my PSU only has 24 Pin and 8 Pin cables, I was wondering if the 4 Pin is essential to turn on the system; but as I understand connecting only the 24 Pin and 8 Pin is enough and system should started.
                      I only tried once to fit the 6 Pin PCI-E connector in the 4 Pin motherboard connector but did not fit in both direction (Power was off when I tried that).

I cannot really understand the possible source of the problem. If the motherboard is damaged, then why clicking the OC_IGNITION button (i.e. Powers fans and drives without booting or powering the CPU) worked. If the problem is due to BIOS compatibility with the i7-4790, then the i5-4570 should work fine. At least, after I reset the BIOS / Clear CMOS. The image I attached earlier of the CPU socket do not showed any broken or bent pins in the socket. And if problem is with the RAM, then switching to other sockets or changing the combinations, should solved the problem.
                      I really do not understand the situation....

Comment

I looked the Z87X-OC Force motherboard manual that describes the connectors and it is poorly written.
                        You must connect the 24-pin power cable and also connect the 4-pin ATX_12V cable or the 8-pin EPS12V power cable.
                        If there is a problem with your power supply's 12 volt rail, your computer can't start.

In the first post you said "I have also tested the motherboard with new Power supply unit" but that apparently did not help. Do you know for sure that the new power supply is working. It's possible that a brand new power supply is faulty.

I have an Asus P45 motherboard that refuses to post and the attached motherboard speaker is silent. If I try booting with no memory installed, the speaker beeps with the sound pattern that means that there is a memory error so I know that my board isn't completely dead.

If the 3.0 volt motherboard battery is too low, that might be part of the problem. Sometimes a "new" motherboard battery is bad and won't let your system post or boot. One forum member recently posted that he had to replace a bad mobo battery in a motherboard that was only 6 months old.

I'm a bit bothered by the descriptions in the bios web page. Years ago the oldest bios version would say "initial release" even when the "first" bios version was higher than F1. It looks like F7 is the earliest bios version but it's description includes "Increased compatibility".

Check out GIGABYTE - Mainboard, Grafikkarte, Notebook, Tablet, Server, PC-Peripheriegeräte und mehr to get warranty information.
                        The warranty might start from the motherboard's manufacture date and looks like it is for two years: GIGABYTE - Unterstützung - Informationen zur Garantie
                        The month and year of manufacture might still be part of your board's serial number where the first four digits represent the year (YY) and week of the year (WW).

Comment

Nothing on the debug LEDs at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
                            Nothing on the debug LEDs at all?
                            No, Nothing al all

Comment

Originally posted by moh19814 View Post
                              I cannot really understand the possible source of the problem. If the motherboard is damaged, then why clicking the OC_IGNITION button (i.e. Powers fans and drives without booting or powering the CPU) worked. If the problem is due to BIOS compatibility with the i7-4790, then the i5-4570 should work fine. At least, after I reset the BIOS / Clear CMOS. The image I attached earlier of the CPU socket do not showed any broken or bent pins in the socket. And if problem is with the RAM, then switching to other sockets or changing the combinations, should solved the problem.
                              I really do not understand the situation....
                              Do look into the warranty period as suggested by ProfJim, you could be still be in warranty and save yourself some headaches.

The OC -force, LN2, SOC - force boards can be a conundrum sometimes. They are beautiful boards capable of taking some serious abuse( being overclock-able) allowing you to access so many settings, but in the same logic, can be super sensitive simply because one small thing is off. Then it can give you some un necessary headache which is simple in solution. A lot of the high end modern boards have similar features to the OC ignition allowing you to power up components without actually starting up the pc. Just like some boards have capability of still USB charging devices even when shutdown. You can use the OC ignition to test if a water pump cooling system works as it should without powering up the whole pc and causing your cpu to overheat if the water pump isn't working.

When I've encountered such an issue with my Gigabyte boards, it is usually after a snow storm or rain storm or power surge in the area. Or if the pc has been running for say 3 or 4 weeks without shutting down. It starts up with all systems/fans running at full power, no debug light or code, no video output and constantly switching between backup and main bios. I usually know it's either some kind of static charge build up, voltage issue messing with the bios. I let the board discharge by unplugging from the main electrical source, clearing the CMOS and letting it sit for some time( sometimes a day).
                              Since you've tried this, the warranty option is a good suggestion.
                              i7 8700k - z370 Asus Rog maximus 10 hero(wifi) (soho)
                              G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB
                              Corsair PSU, 1
                              080Ti EVGA
                              960 Samsung Evo , 2 WD Black Storage.
                              Builds - Z97x-Gaming 7(media center) . Gigabyte x399 - Gaming 7 Threadripper 1950x (workstation)

Comment

Working...
                              X