Mobo Software Question (SB X-Fi 7)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobo Software Question (SB X-Fi 7)

My gaming rig has mobo Z97X-Gaming 7 which came with Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 software. When I go in to sound in my control panel shouldn’t I see Sound Blaster X-Fi 7 as a speaker option? I only see Realtek and Nvidia.

When viewing a review of X-Fi MB3 on Youtube he has a standard onboard audio, but when he adds the SB X-Fi software it adds a driver that his system recognizes and he chooses it. In the video I can still see his onboard Realtek as an options as well.

For reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSBMrHfsXjE at the 3:48 mark.

At this moment I have the Realtek on board sound selected and everything seems to be working. The ALC 1150 on this mobo seems pretty good (metal shielding, noise guard, gold plated audio ports, good capacitors and built in amp) but I am wondering if I am missing some benefit by not having the SB drivers to choose from.

Re: Mobo Software Question (SB X-Fi 7)

Maybe it is disabled or hidden, select show hidden/disabled devices.

Comment

Ah ... I forgot to mention I did do that and it still isn't there :( Good idea though ty.

Comment

I have Sound Blaster Cinema that stopped working (claiming there is no supported audio device) after I downgraded my diver from the net, after it was updated by MSI software and I lost some features.
        What about the software itself, does it open, see what you have in it's settings?

Comment

The software features all seem to work and I have sound. I'm just wondering if I should have a Sound Blaster Driver and if so is it better than the Realtek drivers? Perhaps there is some feature that only the SB allows for ... I dunno. It may be that nothing is wrong. It's just when I seen that Youtube video on the same software product and that guy was using on board audio also; after installing the software he had Sound Blaster drivers to choose from then. For instance he could choose SB speakers in the sound section of his control panel instead of Realtek speakers.

Yeah I've had a couple of tweaky things happen with this set up over the past couple of months. When I first got this computer everything was set up for me and I'm uncertain ((I don't remember) if I initially had Sound Blaster as an option to choose for my speakers/headset/microphone or not. >< Everything seems to working though. If I get curious enough I suppose I can delete all the audio drivers in my system and then re-install the Sound Blaster software and see if I get a SB driver/option then to select in the sound screen of my control panel or not.

I may not get that curious though ... I was just hoping someone might know :)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sound card.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	754979 Let's see if this picture shows up. This is from the video I was watching about this Sound Blaster software product. After he installed it he had the option to chose SB speakers instead of Realtek. For some reason I do not have Sound Blaster as an option to choose. With the SB software it self I am able to choose Realtek as well, but not SB. The software has an equalizer, Alchemey and stuff like that and it's working so maybe nothing to be concerned with. It's just bugging me that I don't know why I don't have the SB drivers as well. Maybe I'm better off without them ... who knows?

Comment

If everything works than all is fine, doesn't seem it is the same software even so may be different.

Comment

I do not use the Sound Blaster on my setup since I have DAC & Home theater set up. But, the X-Fi is dependent on the realteak audio drivers for the ALC1150 ( Basically a software overlay on the realtek suite to enhance the sound). I agree if everything is working as it should then it is fine. If you can utilize both those front and sounds from the rear then it is good.
                Else, in your own spare time, you could uninstall the x-fi, then the realtek, get the latest realtek software using the giga appcentre tool or directly from Giga's website. Install that first, before you install the X-fi. Some folks had issues with no sound when the X-fi was installed, so it's important to install the realtek first before installing the Sound Blaster.

Will check on my system over the weekend to see if it adds anything special. Keep in mind that a reviewer may have a Creative sound device on board or attached to his unit , or a specific one like the Creative Sound Core3D™ 'Quad-Core Audio Processor rather than a more 'generic' alc1150 optimized to work with the X-Fi blaster. Albeit, a decent sound solution(ALC 1150) given the board constraints.
                Last edited by TicTacToe; 05-29-2015, 03:51 AM.
                i7 8700k - z370 Asus Rog maximus 10 hero(wifi) (soho)
                G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB
                Corsair PSU, 1
                080Ti EVGA
                960 Samsung Evo , 2 WD Black Storage.
                Builds - Z97x-Gaming 7(media center) . Gigabyte x399 - Gaming 7 Threadripper 1950x (workstation)

Comment

Thank you every one for the responses. :)

Comment

I didn't find anything different about it, the soundblaster X-Fi works as it should when the gigabyte realtek hd audio drivers are installed first. Gigabyte provided X-Fi Soundblaster software (OEM) did not work as it should when windows generic ALC 1150 drivers were installed instead of the Realtek HD Audio drivers( Gigabyte). Platform was windows 7, hence, confirms that the provided X-Fi from Gigabyte is dependent on the realtek drivers for HD Audio.

Conclusion, realtek and X-fi tools( from Gigabyte, OEM) are tied together, likely by way of licensing. Consequently, no need to pay for the software and the Soundblaster X-fi MB 3 does not appear as an independent device in Sound options. If you buy the X-Fi Soundblaster software from Creative's website, the licensing process is different, and the Soundblaster X-fi MB 3 device does appear in the Sound Hardware info as you saw in the picture. A behavior similar to the SRSlabs audio processing tool( retail version). So, bottom line, you are not missing out on any freebies, merry gaming to you.
                    Are there superior audiophile sound options out there, yes. But that is a different topic altogether.
                    i7 8700k - z370 Asus Rog maximus 10 hero(wifi) (soho)
                    G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB
                    Corsair PSU, 1
                    080Ti EVGA
                    960 Samsung Evo , 2 WD Black Storage.
                    Builds - Z97x-Gaming 7(media center) . Gigabyte x399 - Gaming 7 Threadripper 1950x (workstation)

Comment

Originally posted by TicTacToe View Post
                      I didn't find anything different about it, the soundblaster X-Fi works as it should when the gigabyte realtek hd audio drivers are installed first. Gigabyte provided X-Fi Soundblaster software (OEM) did not work as it should when windows generic ALC 1150 drivers were installed instead of the Realtek HD Audio drivers( Gigabyte). Platform was windows 7, hence, confirms that the provided X-Fi from Gigabyte is dependent on the realtek drivers for HD Audio.

Conclusion, realtek and X-fi tools( from Gigabyte, OEM) are tied together, likely by way of licensing. Consequently, no need to pay for the software and the Soundblaster X-fi MB 3 does not appear as an independent device in Sound options. If you buy the X-Fi Soundblaster software from Creative's website, the licensing process is different, and the Soundblaster X-fi MB 3 device does appear in the Sound Hardware info as you saw in the picture. A behavior similar to the SRSlabs audio processing tool( retail version). So, bottom line, you are not missing out on any freebies, merry gaming to you.
                      Are there superior audiophile sound options out there, yes. But that is a different topic altogether.
                      Wow! You described and answered my exact situation; thank you. :)

Comment

Working...
                      X