• Problem with Overclocking

Hi.
    My computer specs:
    Asrock z97 anniversary
    Intel g3258
    ASUS Radeon HD 7770
    4GB Ram HyperX

I have problem with overclocking.
    I have premium boost, but if i choose 4.0GHz the VCore is 1.200v and i got BSOD.
    If i OC manual, and i try to put Vcore voltage - Override mode - 1.098V , the OC has not applied. (remain default 3.2ghz)
    I have 3-4 friends which have G3258 and OC manual with VCore - Override mode at 1.098V and their works.
    What is the problem? Please help me..

Re: Problem with Overclocking

Can you help me please?
    I reinstalled windows , and the problem persist..

Comment

Hi Xerso, I got my G3258 running at 4.2 with 1.120v thats on a MSI H81m E33 motherboard, but it took a long time to get stable as I was raising the vcore 0.01 until I got no blue screens, my Cache frequency is 3300 tried bumping it up towards core frequency and it dont like it, Can you list you full spec, ie PSU & Bios Version & ram speed,Case and cooling, I would start by going to your bios and loading optimised defaults, Don't go by what your friends get the G3258 core frequency at & Vcore volts, you may just be unlucky with your G3258 and need much more vcore volts Vs frequency.
      You should only have to Dial in 40 for the core make sure sync all cores is selected, vcore voltage to override mode and try 1.099v,Hit F10 save and exit. if it boots run Real Bench stress test 15min, watch your temps, if it wont boot raise vcore to 1.100v.
      So first Load Bios Defaults before you start.
      I'm using the stock cooler from my 4790k and my temps are around 70
      Good luck!
      joe
      Last edited by Joe-912; 07-13-2015, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Hi Joe,

Full specs:

Motherboard AsRock Z97 Anniversary
        Motherboard BIOS version Default (1.10)
        Processor G3258
        Memory Kingston HyperX Fury 1600MHz CL10
        Video Card ATI Radeon HD 7770 1GBDDR5
        Hard Drive Samsung HD502HJ 465GB
        Case Zalman Z11 Plus
        Cooler Stock G3258 cooler
        Power Supply Sirtec High Power Element 400W
        Operating System Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

Now i overclocked to 3.8GHz with vcore voltage override 1.098v and working.
        But i need 4.0GHz and i tried to set vcore voltage override to 1.125v and not working :(

Comment

Hi Xerso, well your bios is orignal release and the latest is 1.60 (5/21/2015) so you could flash the latest bios, But make sure you read How to update Bios: ASRock - BIOS Upgrade Instruction, remember there is risk involved but I have never had a bad flash in 20 years of computing, The Bios version 1.30 on Asrock page says Update i5-4690K, Pentium Anniversary G3258 EZ-OC table. so I think it's worth flashing to 1.60 latest ASRock > Z97 Anniversary -USE INSTANT FLASH METHOD, it's the safest, don't remove the usb key until your system boots back into windows, very important!

Give that a shot.
          joe

Comment

Originally posted by Joe-912 View Post
            Hi Xerso, well your bios is orignal release and the latest is 1.60 (5/21/2015) so you could flash the latest bios, But make sure you read How to update Bios: ASRock - BIOS Upgrade Instruction, remember there is risk involved but I have never had a bad flash in 20 years of computing, The Bios version 1.30 on Asrock page says Update i5-4690K, Pentium Anniversary G3258 EZ-OC table. so I think it's worth flashing to 1.60 latest ASRock > Z97 Anniversary -USE INSTANT FLASH METHOD, it's the safest, don't remove the usb key until your system boots back into windows, very important!

Give that a shot.
            joe
            If i update BIOS, I can't get back to the default version if i remove CMOS battery?

Comment

Originally posted by Xerso View Post
              If i update BIOS, I can't get back to the default version if i remove CMOS battery?
              No you would have to reflash with original bios, one thing if you decide to flash reset bios to defaults, remove any overclock settings first...
              Last edited by Joe-912; 07-13-2015, 08:04 AM.

Comment

http://s12.postimg.org/9ju8wwyq5/screenshot_3.png
                http://s12.postimg.org/d4uptvsnh/screenshot_4.png

It's ok?
                I think i need less voltage
                Last edited by Xerso; 07-13-2015, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Well that good you got it to go to 4Ghz, did you flash the bios? Any redudction in vcore volts is good but 1.2 won't hurt, it just takes time to find the sweet spot
                  Make sure you can pass the Real bench stress test 15mins

Yes I see in real bench your bios is now 1.60, now work on lowering vcore voltage until you get BSOD
                  Last edited by Joe-912; 07-13-2015, 11:05 AM.

Comment

http://s12.postimg.org/cglvaxtxp/screenshot_5.png - again test with 100% cpu fan speed (vcore voltage mode - adaptive mode 1.200v and cpu cache voltage mode - override 1.200v)
                    I overclocked with Premium Boost with automatically settings, and voltages have set to : Vcore voltage mode - adaptive mode - 1.200 and cpu cache voltage mode - override - 1.200 , what i need to lower ? vcore voltage or cache ?

I tried to set vcore voltage to override mode 1.156v and cpu cache voltage mode to Auto and when i started the RealBench after 30sec i got bsod
                    Last edited by Xerso; 07-13-2015, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Yes auto overclocking software will alway set high Vcore volts, Manual overclock in bios better, leave cache voltage and frequency on auto, if 1.156v gives BSOD try raising it 0.01v each step, eventually you will become stable, but like i said it taks a lot of time, if you know it works on auto overclock @ 1.2v for 4GHz then you could work the vcore down from there until you get BSOD so try 1.195 then keep trying lower by 0.01v

Comment

http://s12.postimg.org/x20n2ubil/screenshot_6.png - i passed the stress test.
                        But 76 temperature i think is so much .. :-??

Comment

Well that going good, now try get lower vcore volts like i said, which will bring the temps down but max 76 on bench is ok, gaming or general usage is going to be quite a bit lower... dont forget when your benchmarking the cpu is maxed out, gaming or general usage is not going to stress cpu as much
                          well done!
                          Last edited by Joe-912; 07-13-2015, 12:00 PM.

Comment

I founded the stable Vcore. (1.185v).
                            http://s10.postimg.org/52t7j7b2x/4_0_1_185_bench.png
                            http://s10.postimg.org/41syu2u3d/4_0_1_185_stress.png
                            Temperatures it's good ?

But my question is , why at 4.0GHz I need 1.185V core? It's no so much?

Comment

Each CPU will be different some will do 4GHz @ 1.1v others will need more voltage,

What is the silicon lottery?

When it comes to overclocking processors, every CPU is different. Imperfections during fabrication cause each CPU to have different limits in terms of clock speed. Our processors have been binned according to their overclocking capabilities, so you are able to purchase a sample that meets your needs.

Each processor has passed an hour of the RealBench stress test at the suggested settings. To keep things simple, we only change two voltages during testing. Depending on your setup, you may need a little more or less voltage.

This is from
                              Silicon Lottery

I got mine at 4.4GHZ now @1.211v passed realbench 15min stress test, just benchmarking now temps peaked at 72 so far, I will upload results soon

Comment

Working...
                              X