ASRock Beebox (N3000) Fanless Small Form Factor PC Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Beebox (N3000) Fanless Small Form Factor PC Review

Please feel free to comment about our story entitled "ASRock Beebox (N3000) Fanless Small Form Factor PC Review"

Re: ASRock Beebox (N3000) Fanless Small Form Factor PC Review

Based on the story line and review (nice article) I bought a model N3000 to play with.

The basic model I ordered arrived with the memory I purchased yesterday, but will not boot. Now I'm running around looking for different memory, seems its very picky about what it will run with.

I understand that the article was about a pre-configured device, but I suspect a lot of your readers would be more interested in providing their own components, so if its allowed here is my learning so far.

I deliberately went for the low end version to see how well it will perform for my purpose to browse the web and download a few torrent files and then move the completed files to my server. That will allow me to sell off parts of another PC, recoup my costs and reduce the number of big boxes I have.

It was disappointing to discover the Beebox would not boot (power light came on) even though I tried both HDMI ports with different cables and monitors. However, since no post signals are provided (manual says provide your own buzzer, but does indicate where) its not easy to find out if the Beebox or the memory has the issue.

I started with the Crucial memory - what I had purchased was DDR3-12800 Sodimm 1.35V 204-pin. "Chatting" with Crucial I find that 1) they have no data for Beebox and 2) unless it has DDR3L in the title the memory is actually dual voltage and will work at anything between 1.35V and 1.5V.

However, the manual specifies DDR3L which is 1.35V only and which nobody near me had in stock - so it will be the weekend before I get what is supposedly required.

Now if you go the list of approved memory suppliers you will find:

- Few mainstream suppliers.
    - 9 of 24 lines state they are 1.5V products and not 1.35? A little consistency would be nice.

However the option to configure the memory can't be accessed until the device boots.

I will will update my findings about it being a device or memory issue later.

Oh, and feel free to move the thread if its considered off subject.
    Last edited by Britgeezer; 12-31-2015, 02:23 PM. Reason: Updated.

Comment

Re: ASRock Beebox (N3000) Fanless Small Form Factor PC Review

Quick Update.

DDR3L memory worked fine.

Returned the N3000 as being way to slow, replaced with the N3150 which is working fine with the same memory and E-Sata drive.

Comment

Working...
      X