AMD FX-9590 4.7 8 CORE processor
    550W 80plus cooler master psu
    operating system windows 7 pro
    bios update 2501 i think not sure off hand but was latest
    2x 4gb ram 1600 mhz AVEXIR
    Graphics card GTX 460 and also tried GTX650
    Rat 3 mouse
    heatsink akasa venom

New ASUS sabertooth 990fx r2.0 + new AMD FX-9590 4.7 8 CORE processor will not boot

Ok my son wanted to update his pc so he bought a new ASUS sabertooth 990fx r2.0 with a 4.7 processor and a large heatsink to cool it down

Ok well at first we could not get any picture to the monitor at all so we looked around a little and we found a post saying to swop the jumper over on the motherboard THAT RESETS THE CMOS

well we did this and the pc started and we formatted the hard drive and installed windows

Ok we then suffered freezes randomly after a few minutes of the PC starting up and we could not understand why

so we did this to try and solve it

made sure we had all updated software
    We swopped the graphics card
    We checked for arcing on the case
    we just put one stick of ram in
    we checked all plugs and cables and made sure all hardware was seated properly
    made sure the heatsink was on processor firmly and had an even spread of thermal compound

Ok we did this and more but now the pc will not start at all it just kicks in and turns off a few seconds after it try's to boot, it will stay on if you change the jumper over that resets CMOS , but when you change it back it turns of again after a few seconds

the only other way to get the pc to work IE power to all fans,graphics,drives bla bla ids to unplug the processor from its power

we considered trying a lager psu ?

we are now stuck and don't know what to do next

any help would be very very welcome

thankyou
    Last edited by Sneak; 08-04-2015, 09:33 AM.

Re: New ASUS sabertooth 990fx R2.0+ 4.7 pro freeze

Originally posted by Sneak View Post
    ASUS sabertooth 990fx R2.0 motherboard
    AMD FX-9590 4.7 8 CORE processor
    Ok we did this and more but now the pc will not start at all it just kicks in and turns off a few seconds after it try's to boot, it will stay on if you change the jumper over that resets CMOS , but when you change it back it turns of again after a few seconds

the only other way to get the pc to work IE power to all fans,graphics,drives bla bla ids to unplug the processor from its power

we considered trying a lager psu ?

we are now stuck and don't know what to do next

any help would be very very welcome

thankyou
    I would first look at the boards DIAG lights. They are a big help! There is a series of 4 or 5 lights toward the front near/around the cpu. Check book if you cant find them. Look closely and you will See RAM, CPU, Video, etc depending on revision. One of those lights should stay on. I actually used the lights twice. Once I forgot the CPU fan and the other a unseated Ram Stick. I was all excited with the new build...lol

I recommend a minimum of 500Watts for a power supply. It highly depends on mainly cpu & gpu. My Phenom uses 125W and the GPU 170W.
    eXtreme Power Supply Calculator
    Should everything be ok there, I suspect: CPU Overheat, bad stick of ram or Incorrect BIOS/EFI Settings. You may try to run a memory test (using a live Linux Mint or other). Also check and update to latest BIOS and load defaults from within. Could be old version or even auto over-clocking, mine was default to auto O.C., with some insane settings. Some memory sticks have to be fiddled with to work at stated ratings. I would not worry about tweaking until you are stable. I ended up adding extra voltage to get a stable anything then at 1866. If your model has the MemOK button it very well may help, but is a little strange.
    I myself hook everything up and remove the power cord and battery for 5-10mins, some boards are weird about cmos reset! EFI is a whole different kind of good beast. Finally the CPU cooler may not have a good fit or an issue with paste? Those lights are really handy! I hope this helps you! Started out with a Mac in 1992!
    Last edited by unimatrix725; 08-22-2015, 01:52 PM. Reason: add psu calc link and clarify a point

Comment

Re: New ASUS sabertooth 990fx R2.0+ 4.7 pro freeze

I have 2 pcs same mobo but fx-6300 and fx8350.work great wanted to upgrade but there are only 2 mobos made that are compatible with fx 9350 or fx-9370.and asus sabertooth is not one of them.

Comment

Working...
      X