No announcement yet.

ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB

Earlier this month, I put together a new build with an ASRock Extreme4 x99 motherboard and 2x G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB (2x 8GB DDR4 3000 for those who don't want to click). All went well, and after getting paid again, I picked up 6 more of the same RAM chips to add to the board, since its max capacity (128GB) is so high and I saw a good sale.

Unfortunately, after installing the rest of the DIMMs, I tried to boot the rig and got no video signal, and no POST beeps. I removed them each, 2 at a time, until I was down to the original 2, and it booted as expected. Thinking there might be a bad chip in the lot, I then tested them all 2 at a time, getting a normal boot every time.

Thinking the BIOS version might be to blame, I went ahead and flashed it to the latest release (2.00) and tried again. Same trials, same results.

I'm pretty much at a loss for what to try next, but I'd really like to get this thing running with the all of the RAM installed. It was one of the primary reasons I bought this board. Any suggestions?

Re: ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB

Update: After finding some more time to work on the rig, I decided to try going against the instructions in the manual, since nothing else has worked.

Lo and behold, the problem is that the system won't POST when there's a DIMM in DDR4_C1 or C2, and the manual indicates that DIMMs should be installed in pairs, A1 + B1, C1 + D1, A2 + B2, C2 + D2, so what I had been doing was trying to add each pair in C1 + D1.

So, currently I have 6xDIMM installed, in A1, A2, B1, B2, D1, D2, booting normally. Mounting any of the 8 DIMMs to C1 or C2 causes it to silently fail to POST, no beep code, no monitor signal. This leads me to believe that there's a hardware defect in the motherboard, but that is just a guess.

Comment

Re: ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB

Well you made some progress then, one of the problems is I think that you have not brought a complete kit that has been tested to work together but that would cost big bucks I expect, have you set the xmp profile in the bios, which will adjust the voltage correctly, give that a try if you haven't done already and try adding the other sticks, you could even try upping the voltage a tad
      good luck!, nice memory that

Comment

Working...
      X