Why will my video card not work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why will my video card not work?

I was told to go to a Gigabyte forum after trying to fix the issue in other computer forums.

I wanted to add something to this post. My son just told me that when he puts the video card in that everything boots up, pc, fans start running and everything. But the motherboard does not detect the video card and then automatically switches over to the on board graphics. This is helpful to know.

Here is my earlier Post/Question

I am not sure where this would go. It can actually fit into a few categories I think. Here goes! My son is building a gaming computer as a gift from me for his B-day almost 2 years ago now. He already had a pc so basically he is making it better, a lot better. He needed only a few items. I bought the items he wanted that he said to buy and would be compatible with his computer and the other parts bought. All parts were bought by Newegg.com. Like I said this project began about a year and a half ago and we still cannot get his pc up and running. No one seems to know what the issue is including his father who use to put computers together. Can you please help us? Please tell me if what parts I bought and what he already has are compatible or not? And also, his question is, is the Motherboard 100% compatible with the video card? If not, what do I need to get? If they are compatible or should be, what do you think the problem may be? Please, please, help us! I will begin by giving you a list below of what his computer already has. Then I will give you a second list of what I bought for it.
    Now I will tell you what happened when he tried putting it altogether. Troubles seem to begin from the beginning when the video card wouldn't work. Which was the very first item we bought. It worked in his fathers computer just fine. The only thing different his father claimed was that he had a better power supply than him. So we bought a better power supply. It didn't work. So he thought that maybe the power supply still wasn't good enough or compatible so I then bought an even better power supply. This one all his friends have working in their pc's with no problems. Their computer's hardware and software and by son's are nearly the same. The first power supply I guess did nothing. When he got the second one it powered up unlike the last but does not display video. So, we are back at not knowing why. His question is again, is his motherboard 100% compatible with the graphics card/video card? We also bought a motherboard at some point trying to fix it. Are all these items compatible? Everything was bought to be compatible with this video card he wanted. Both power supply's worked in his fathers computer fine. So did the video card. I spent a lot of money and their are no returns. Please help. My son is past discouraged about all this and now quite depressed over it. And I am going broke! LOL Seriously though!

List #1
    1.) He has a windows 7 operating system
    2.) 12 gigs of RAM
    3.) Processor PPG is Intel I7 4770 Not sure if K or not (sorry, if I am writing that wrong.
    4.) Main harddrive is 1 tarabyte
    5.) Second harddrive is 2 tarabytes

List #2 What we bought (Sorry for the long write out of it. I don't know what to write and what not to)

1.) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 GV-N970WF30C-4GD 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready G-SYNC Support Video card

2.) ASUS Z97-A LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6 Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

3.) (The first Power Supply bought) CORSAIR CX series CX600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

4.) (Second Power Supply) CORSAIR CX series CX 750M 750W ATX 12V v.2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power supply New 4th Gen. CPU Certified

5.) (Probably not important) NZXT Phantom 410 Series CA-PH410-B3 Black/orange steel/Plastic ATX Mid Tower Orange Trim Computer case

O.K. that's it! Am I missing anything that you need to know? I hope you all can help! Thanks in advance so much!

Re: Why will my video card not work?

I have seen problems of new display card giving a black screen on newer UEFI bios's. Have you tryed updating the Motherboard bios?

Comment

How is the Memory Configured 12GB an unusual amount do you have 2x4GB and 2x2GB or 1x8GB plus 1x4GB? Have you tried running with just 8GB of Ram?

Comment

Originally posted by PRound View Post
        How is the Memory Configured 12GB an unusual amount do you have 2x4GB and 2x2GB or 1x8GB plus 1x4GB? Have you tried running with just 8GB of Ram?
        Hi thanks for your post. Someone said this about the RAM once before. Let me find out and get back to you.

Comment

Originally posted by TrebleTA View Post
          I have seen problems of new display card giving a black screen on newer UEFI bios's. Have you tryed updating the Motherboard bios?
          Hi thanks for your post. I know that he has a new Motherboard and he tried his old motherboard and it didnt work either. It did the same thing. The pc powered up, fans turned on and all that but the motherboard didn't detect it. I don't know what Bios means but my son would so let me ask him and I will get an answer for you. Thanks

Comment

Hi, he says he has 3 4gb. He says he will try 8 but doesnt know what slots to use.

Comment

With new UEFI bios's if the motherboard was released before the display card, this can cause problems as its unknown by the UEFI bios. fixing would be going to the motherboard website and seeing if there is a new bios for your motherboard. The Nvidia GTX970 is a new card so its prob not in the UEFI. I can see this being a big problem in the future. from what i have been told. yet i may be wrong. It could be a faulty card.
              Last edited by TrebleTA; 10-08-2015, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Probably won't fix it but for optimal performance memory should be run in equal pairs to run in dual channel mode

Comment

Originally posted by TrebleTA View Post
                  Sorry, this took so long to answer. He said that doing BIOS is too hard and long to do. This tells me that he either doesn't know how or is uncomfortable doing it.He has tried many different things but this. How important is this. What are the chances that it will work? He is starting to give up and is thinking about getting a different video card all together and sell this one to his dad or dad's friend whose computer it does work in. But what if he gets another one and it doesn't work either. Those are my thoughts. He said that a lot of the reviews on this video card are bad. It isn't unusual to get a black screen with this video card according to the reviews. What do you think?

Comment

Probably won't fix it but for optimal performance memory should be run in equal pairs to run in dual channel mode
                    I told him this and he did try an even amount and it still didn't work. He got the computer for Christmas already set up from somewhere. So the RAM came like that.

Comment

If the BIOS is to complicated for you to tweak then you need to sell it and go to walmart and by a POS machine.. No offense but really you have a very tweakable system and you need to just learn it.
                      It takes a bit of time but that is what makes you better at all the issues you encounter.

Also check that the MV is set correctly for the PCIE slots and the speed.

Also designate what slot in the BIOS your Video card is on as well and you do have the right power connection/s

Good Luck.
                      INTEL i7-920 2.66GHZ 8M LGA 1366
                      GIGABYTE X58A-UD3R Rev 1
                      ASETEK 120MM WATERCOOLER
                      6GB KINSTON HYPER X DDR3
                      BLACK AZZA SOLANO 1000 FULL TOWER
                      Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
                      2TB SATA III 3.0 GB 7200RPM HD
                      BLACK LITE-ON 24X DVDRW
                      SEASONIC X750 Gold PSU
                      ONBOARD 7.1 SOUND
                      ATI RADEON 5750 1GB DDR3
                      WINDOWS 10 64Bit 10240

Comment

To update the system bios, it should not be too hard. there is and should be many guides around to help.
                        If you try'ed everything else people have said with no luck then its prob the bios.

Comment

Working...
                        X