Bootloop Issue with GA-Z97N-WiFi even after RMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bootloop Issue with GA-Z97N-WiFi even after RMA

Hey fellas. New member here on TweakTown, but long time active member on OCN. Posting this here as well since it seems to have a stonger Gigabyte presence than OCN

I'm having some issues with my mobo. It's a z97n-wifi. I recently built a rig using an i5 4670k, 8gb gskill ares memory, and msi 290x a few months back. It was running great for about a month or two, then started getting random BSOD's while I was gaming. I looked up the BSOD code and it pointed to a memory issue.

So I downloaded memtest and ram both modules individually and they both tested good. Reinstalled both modules and booted back up and everything was fine for about a week when I got another BSOD. This time when I tried rebooting it went into a boot loop. It would turn on for 5-10 seconds without posting, then shut off for 5-10 seconds, then back on. This keeps repeating until I cut power to the PSU.

So I did a bunch of testing. Tested the PSU and it came back good. Put one memory module in slot 1 and was able to boot into Windows. Shutdown, removed the first module and installed the second in slot 1. Booted into Windows. Shutdown and installed both modules and it went into boot loop. Shutdown, put one module into slot 2, bootloop. Put the other module into slot 2, bootloop. Grabbed another set of known good memory from a different computer and got the exact same results. Boot into Windows with only slot 1 populated, bootloop with both slots or just slot 2 populated. So I concluded slot 2 was bad.

So I messaged tech support and got an RMA approval. I sent out the board, they said there was a minor issue found that was repaired and they sent it back.

Upon getting the board back, I reinstalled everything and hit the power button. Started booting fine and I thought "awesome, board is fixed! Time to get back to gaming!" Then got a BSOD before getting into Windows. did the exact same testing procedure as before the RMA with the exact same results.

So I messaged tech support again explaining how I had just gotten the board back from RMA and am still having issues. They claim the board was serviced and tested before being returned.

Ideally, I'd like to get the board replaced rather than repaired again and I'm outside the return window from the store I bought the board. Is there anything I can do to speed up the process of messaging back and forth with a tech rep since it takes them at least a day to reply to each message I send.

Re: Bootloop Issue with GA-Z97N-WiFi even after RMA

Originally posted by morencyam View Post
    Hey fellas. New member here on TweakTown, but long time active member on OCN. Posting this here as well since it seems to have a stonger Gigabyte presence than OCN

I'm having some issues with my mobo. It's a z97n-wifi. I recently built a rig using an i5 4670k, 8gb gskill ares memory, and msi 290x a few months back. It was running great for about a month or two, then started getting random BSOD's while I was gaming. I looked up the BSOD code and it pointed to a memory issue.

So I downloaded memtest and ram both modules individually and they both tested good. Reinstalled both modules and booted back up and everything was fine for about a week when I got another BSOD. This time when I tried rebooting it went into a boot loop. It would turn on for 5-10 seconds without posting, then shut off for 5-10 seconds, then back on. This keeps repeating until I cut power to the PSU.

So I did a bunch of testing. Tested the PSU and it came back good. Put one memory module in slot 1 and was able to boot into Windows. Shutdown, removed the first module and installed the second in slot 1. Booted into Windows. Shutdown and installed both modules and it went into boot loop. Shutdown, put one module into slot 2, bootloop. Put the other module into slot 2, bootloop. Grabbed another set of known good memory from a different computer and got the exact same results. Boot into Windows with only slot 1 populated, bootloop with both slots or just slot 2 populated. So I concluded slot 2 was bad.

So I messaged tech support and got an RMA approval. I sent out the board, they said there was a minor issue found that was repaired and they sent it back.

Upon getting the board back, I reinstalled everything and hit the power button. Started booting fine and I thought "awesome, board is fixed! Time to get back to gaming!" Then got a BSOD before getting into Windows. did the exact same testing procedure as before the RMA with the exact same results.

So I messaged tech support again explaining how I had just gotten the board back from RMA and am still having issues. They claim the board was serviced and tested before being returned.

Ideally, I'd like to get the board replaced rather than repaired again and I'm outside the return window from the store I bought the board. Is there anything I can do to speed up the process of messaging back and forth with a tech rep since it takes them at least a day to reply to each message I send.
    Do you have the same problem with just one RAM-stick?

Maybe the cpu-fan exert too much pressure on the motherboard, try to loosen the screws ;).

I had exact the same problem and I read this on internet. Since them I had no one reboot loop!!

Try this and report back :).

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by phiemon View Post
      Do you have the same problem with just one RAM-stick?

Maybe the cpu-fan exert too much pressure on the motherboard, try to loosen the screws ;).

I had exact the same problem and I read this on internet. Since them I had no one reboot loop!!

Try this and report back :).

Cheers.
      Yes, same problem with only one stick of RAM, but only when in slot 2. I can boot into windows with only one stick in slot 1. I've used a total of 4 known good sticks and same result every time.

I've tried with two different CPU coolers and have the same issue with both

I contacted Gigabyte by phone and they said there was damage found to the CPU socket and was repaired. They tested with two different CPUs and two different sets of RAM installed in both slots and it test good prior to shipping it back. I found someone who is willing to loan me one of his extra CPUs to let me test with to see if my CPU is the problem

Comment

Originally posted by morencyam View Post
        Yes, same problem with only one stick of RAM, but only when in slot 2. I can boot into windows with only one stick in slot 1. I've used a total of 4 known good sticks and same result every time.

I've tried with two different CPU coolers and have the same issue with both

I contacted Gigabyte by phone and they said there was damage found to the CPU socket and was repaired. They tested with two different CPUs and two different sets of RAM installed in both slots and it test good prior to shipping it back. I found someone who is willing to loan me one of his extra CPUs to let me test with to see if my CPU is the problem
        Did you resolve this?
        I have a new build, with exactly the same problem. Board will NOT tolerate a stick in slot 2, but with either stick in slot 1, system works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by jimslade View Post
          Did you resolve this?
          I have a new build, with exactly the same problem. Board will NOT tolerate a stick in slot 2, but with either stick in slot 1, system works fine.
          Not resolved yet. I got a new CPU and tested with that on the off chance that the memory controller on the CPU was bad and had the same result. Sent another RMA request to Gigabyte yesterday and waiting to hear back from them

Comment

Working...
          X