No announcement yet.

Asrock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6 won't POST when loading XMP Profile for G-Skill Ripjaws V 3200Mhz Black DDR4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6 won't POST when loading XMP Profile for G-Skill Ripjaws V 3200Mhz Black DDR4

Hello

I bough a Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6, coupled with a 6600k and a G-Skill Ripjaws V 3200Mhz Black 2x8GB Kit (F4-3200C16D-16GVKB)
    When I load that kit XMP profile the board won't post. Tried only with one memory module but the result is the same.
    It only posts when I set to auto. with these settings

Click image for larger version

Name:	minfo.png
Views:	1
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	756383

I have the latest BIOS posted on Asrock Website

Am I doing something wrong ?
    Do I need to tweak something ?
    Is there some compatibility issues ?

Hope for an answer
    Rui
    CPU: [email protected]|| Corsair 780T
    Mainboard: Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6: 1.70
    Mem: G-Skill RipJaws V Black 3200Mhz
    Video: Asus R9290-4GD5-WC || Samsung 275T+ 27"
    HDD: Sandisk Extreme 250GB SDD + 3x Samung F3 1TB RAID5
    Sound: Asus Xonar D2/PM
    PSU: Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050W
    Cooling: Custom WaterCooled

Re: Asrock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6 won't POST when loading XMP Profile for G-Skill Ripjaws V 3200Mhz Black DDR4

And, yes, I tried different RAM slots and only one DIMM at once !

Comment

Re: Asrock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6 won't POST when loading XMP Profile for G-Skill Ripjaws V 3200Mhz Black DDR4

The 6600K is officially specified for 2133 MHz ram speed. Everything above is OC, which might work or sometimes not. 3200 MHz is 50% higher than 2133, so there is no guarantee that every cpu will work with such a speed. Try manually selecting higher ram speeds like 2400, 2666, 2800, etc. to see how high you can get.
      ---
      Mind is not cumulative, but stupidity is.

Comment

Thank You for Your answer.

That doesnt make much sense. Every processor is specified for 2133mhz operation, including 2011v3 processors. Almost every XMP profile is an overclocking setting, thats the reason of their existence, to make life easyer to who wants to configure overclocking memory that is Certified to run at that speed. I have the impression that the z170 Asrock boards have some issues in loadingg the XMP profiles.

Till now I can put the memory working at 3000mhz, but 3200mhz its out of reach. Whats the point of having XMP profiles if they dont work ?

Comment

Well, the XMP profile certifies the ram, not the cpu. There are also ram modules with a XMP profile of just 2400 MHz or 2666 MHz available. Intel certifies their current cpu's for 2133 MHz ram speed. Somewhat above is always possible, but how much more differs on every single cpu. My i7-3770K is specified for 1600MHz ram speed and runs flawless with the XMP profile of 1866MHz, but that's just 17% higher.
          ---
          Mind is not cumulative, but stupidity is.

Comment

We aren't talking about standart hardware here, we are talking about enthusiast hardware, where lots of specs are well above what is written on paper and the motherboard manufacturers create conditions for their boards to support enthusiast grade memory. This board was tested with memory clocked at 3866Mhz
            The problem here is not the processor. The motherboard is the one that must support and create conditions for the memory to function. IF you see in the revisions of this motherboard BIOS the latest 2 revisions mention DRAM compatibility as one of the solved issues.

Comment

I'm posting just to say that the 1.70 BIOS version solved my memory problems.

For anyone with similar problems, test the latest BIOS.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorak View Post
                For anyone with similar problems, test the latest BIOS.
                This should always occur before frequenting a forum. Especially with MB's that are newly released and the manufacturer is copiously pushing out new BIOSs for memory compatibility.
                #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
                ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Didn't understand your point.

Are you saying that I shouldn't had come to the forum ?
                  The BIOS came 2 days ago, and I posted way before that.
                  When I posted the BIOS I was using was the latest
                  Last edited by Thorak; 10-23-2015, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorak View Post
                    The BIOS came 2 days ago, and I posted way before that.
                    When I posted the BIOS I was using was the latest
                    Thorak, First up, Thank You for editing your post. My point is one should always update to the latest BIOS when memory compatibility issues are suspected. Especially with a newly released MB and the manufacturer(ASRock in this instance) is pushing out the door BIOS releases to _also_ kepp up with all the newly released DDR4 sticks that are now coming to market. I'm sure the BIOS rollers at ASRock are very busy incorporating newly released DDR4 into their BIOSs. Hence why why setting manually vs using XMP Profile did what it did performance-wise there before your eyes.

They'll catch up. DDR4 is yet in it's infancy. There's still a lot of work to be done on both sides.

Secondly, When I replied I was not aware you had ordered a new BIOS chip. Mea culpa

Odd, I don't see a BIOS 1.70 download available for your board. Hmmmm.....
                    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
                    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

It's Ok....
                      I didn't order a new BIOS
                      The BIOS doesn't appear on the website.
                      It appears when you use the built in BIOS update tool or the Asrock APP Shop...

Don't know why...
                      Last edited by Thorak; 10-24-2015, 03:34 AM.

Comment

BTW, the "built in BIOS tool" is something I'd stay away from. With a ten foot pole I would.

There have been horror stories posted here of people being offered the wrong BIOSs.

Best is to go to the ASRock website for your board and download the Instant Flash BIOS for your board, unpack the archive onto a FAT32 USB stick, plug it into a _native_ USB 2.0 port, and use the Instant Flash from within the BIOS.

Automation isn't all that it's cracked up to be.

Comment

Working...
                        X