Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connection questions Z170 Extreme 6+ motherboard

Hi all,

I'm looking at building a new pc using the above mentioned Asrock board, but I'm having difficulty figuring out how many actual SATA ports are available when using both the m2 slot and the front panel usb adapter.

As far as I can tell the m2 slot uses 1 SATA express port and 2 SATA3 ports, while the adapter also uses a SATA express port.
    The image in the manual shows 3 SATA connector cables (1 express and 2 SATA3) but only specifies the use of a SATA express connector.

By my math it would appear that out of a total of 8 SATA3 ports only 4 remain available, but I'm unsure if both the adapter and the m2 slot can even be used at the same time.
    I'm counting on using both the M2 slot and USB Adapter but I also need at least 6, preferably 7 SATA3 ports available for my ideal build, though concession are always an option.

Thanks in advance for any help and insight.

PS: Added a screenshot of the adapter and m2 slot spec and a link to the manual

Click image for larger version

Name:	Extreme 6+ Z170 USB adapter and M2 slot spec2.png
Views:	1
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	756384

Manual
    Last edited by MrSh4dy; 10-10-2015, 01:30 PM.

Re: Connection questions Z170 Extreme 6+ motherboard

Your math is correct. This board has 2 SATA Express ports. So you can use the M2 slot and you lose SATA3_0 and SATA3_1. For the USB Adapter use the lower SATA Express slot and you lose SATA3_4 and SATA3_5. Which leaves two SATA ports available from the Z170 chip set and two from the ASMedia chip set.

With a SATA add-on card like this there are two more SATA ports available. There are add-on cards with four SATA ports available too (example).
    ---
    Mind is not cumulative, but stupidity is.

Comment

Re: Connection questions Z170 Extreme 6+ motherboard

Thank you for your reply and the helpful answer.

I figured the same as well, I'm still not sure on what to do.
      I was also looking into the extreme 7+ which has 2 more SATA ports available and is a bit more future proof with the extra M2 slots, but current pricing in my country is making this a tough move (80euro price difference between the 6+ and 7+). For now I can still wait but I'm thankful to at least have these details more sorted out, the Asrock website and manual are a pain to decipher at times.

Comment

Working...
      X