ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Z170 Gaming K4 - Only Posts with one memory stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Z170 Gaming K4 - Only Posts with one memory stick

Just wrapped up a really fun father-son build. Everything seems to be working however we can only post with one memory stick. The one stick works in each slot however adding a second stick prevents any loading whatsoever.

So I'm not sure what's causing the boot up issue, incompatible RAM, bad MOBO, or perhaps incorrect UEFI settings? This is where I'll take any and all assistance since ASRock support is off for a week celebrating the Chinese New Year and I have a return/exchange deadline coming up.

Here is the build:

- ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Z170 Gaming K4
    Bios version 2.5
    -
    Intel Core i7-6700 8M Skylake Quad-Core 3.4 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80662I76700 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530
    - 2 x G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GVRB
    - EVGA SuperNOVA 220-P2-0750-X1 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular continuous Power Supply
    - 2 x SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 120GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E120B/AM
    - Cooler Master Hyper D92 - CPU Air Cooler with Dual 92mm Offset Push-Pull Fans and Accelerated Cooling System
    - Windows 10 Professional

The hard drives are setup as Raid1 using the Intel Storage Management if that helps.

I haven't done a build in about five years so I may be missing something pretty simple. No question is an insulting one so fire away.

THANKS EVERYONE!!
    Last edited by johnnyc2300; 02-08-2016, 10:55 PM. Reason: Forgot to add some specs

Re: ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Z170 Gaming K4 - Only Posts with one memory stick

Originally posted by johnnyc2300 View Post
    Just wrapped up a really fun father-son build. Everything seems to be working however we can only post with one memory stick. The one stick works in each slot however adding a second stick prevents any loading whatsoever.

So I'm not sure what's causing the boot up issue, incompatible RAM, bad MOBO, or perhaps incorrect UEFI settings? This is where I'll take any and all assistance since ASRock support is off for a week celebrating the Chinese New Year and I have a return/exchange deadline coming up.
    You tested both memory stick individually? I would look at that first and if you have a post code or something from the system that would help out as well. Any codes or beep sequence can give you an idea of what is happening.

Comment

No beeps or codes to report of.

I tried each of the four memory sticks individually and each one booted fine. As soon as I insert in a second module, no post whatsoever. Can't even get to the BIOS screen.

Tried the pairs in multiple combinations A1 & B1, A1 & A2, B1 & B2, A2 & B2, no boot.

There are other posts about the voltage of my memory possibly being too high (1.35v) and stating the MOBO prevents more than one stick from working at a time to prevent damage. Not sure about this however since it was for a different MOBO.

Is it possible to downclock the RAM to 2133MHz and Voltage to 1.20v in an effort to make it compatible? Can I setup an XMP 2.0 profile for memory sticks not yet installed?

Thanks.
      JC

Comment

I would definitely try lowering clock speeds and voltage the 2133 should be good. Check the specs on the ram to see what speed the ram can be set to on the low end.

I would think its possible to set xmp if they allow for manual adjustments of the xmp profiles or if you can save them and put in 2 different sticks to different slots and adjust then save the config maybe.

I would have to see the bios of the board to say for sure. Do you have a video card installed on it as well? I didn't see mention of that in the specs list.

I would see if you can get the system to a point where cpu-z would work on it and look at the ram specs from there as well as in the bios.

Ultimately it will be a good bit of trial and error to isolate exactly what is causing the issue, be it ram or mbd.
        Last edited by Holymoses; 02-09-2016, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Hi Moses,

Here is the video card I installed: MSI R9 380 GAMING 4G

I'm not familiar with CPU-Z so I will read up on that. I also tried adjusting the XMP settings but got turned around and couldn't figure out how to modify settings for a second module.

On a side note, I'm thinking the board should accept my memory based on the ASRock compatibility page:

Type Speed Size Vender Module Chip Part No SS/DS Single
          Channel
          Dual
          Channel
          OC
          DDR4 3200 8GB G.Skill F4-3200C16D-16GTZ DS 2pcs v
          I'll keep trying and see if I can figure anything out.

Thanks.
          JC

Comment

Johnny : You shouldn't need to set memory clock and you should be able to set XMP, it sounds like there is a problem with the Kit. There is a reason we buy memory in a Kit, but it sounds like the Kit doesn't have the exact clock timing
            that is needed within all sticks to match, which will cause a conflict when having all sticks in.

Send ASrock a support ticket, with the memory model, as I think it's on the QVL. They might send you a updated UEFI/ BIOS with changes to the memory, if they don't or the new update does not work, contact G-skill, I would think thy will have you return it and send you a new set.

Johnny: Did you buy two kits, you need to buy the memory all in one kit, if you want 32g, then you buy a 32g kit, you don't but two 16 kits, like I said there's a reason you purchase this all in one kit.

You can see if ASrock can help with a UEFI update, but you might be wasting this memory if you bought two kits and are trying to use both.
            Last edited by odiebugs; 02-10-2016, 02:12 PM.

Comment

I was thinking more along the lines of something with the memory controller handling more than a single chip in the system. Some systems do allow for XMP adjustments on them not sure on the z170. I've had XMP see the completely wrong speeds on corsair ram I have and thought it was trying to push the ram further than it was intended.

Just trying to get it isolated on which part is/was faulty on the system better.

Comment

So I did some additional testing today and need to clarify some earlier statements I made.

All four memory modules are good. I can also get any combination of two sticks working in slots 1B & 2B only (not Dual Channel however).

Slots 1A & 2A are dead at this point and won't recognize any sticks.

My thoughts on this issue are now changing to bent pins, over-tightening of the heat sink, or some kind of bad seating.

I'm gonna tear down and start over to make sure none of the above issues are present.

Thanks again for all the helpful tips and stay tuned!

Comment

Total bummer.

The tear down is complete and we found three bent pins. One pin is flat to the board and I can't put it back into place without affecting adjacent pins.

We didn't pay close enough attention I guess when installing the processor so looks like an RMA at this point.

Thanks again everyone for helping and being patient with me.

Any recommendations on getting the same board vs. a different one?

Comment

Working...
                  X