No announcement yet.

Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming-5P | Intermittent Boot Failure & USB Crashes in Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming-5P | Intermittent Boot Failure & USB Crashes in Windows 10

Hey folks! I have some questions for any GA-X99-Gaming-5P enthusiasts or Gigabyte support folks here:

I've been working with Gigabyte support for a few weeks to troubleshoot an intermittent boot failure issue with this build I recently completed: Intel Core i7-5820K, MSI Radeon R9 390X, NZXT Phantom 820 (Black) - System Build - PCPartPicker

Essentially, every 1 in 3 or so restarts the boot sequence will fail and Windows 10 never gets the hand off from the UEFI/BIOS. It normally happens like this:

First Attempt: Boot system, screen freezes after POST on the UEFI logo. Wait 2-3 minutes, restart system.

Second Attempt: UEFI logo appears and then the system freezes on a black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner. The system accepts no keyboard inputs. Wait 2-3 minutes and restart system.

Third Attempt: UEFI logo appears, Windows 10 Logo appears and the system freezes with a black screen on the Windows 10 logo just before the login. Sometimes the little blue circle is visible. Wait 2-3 minutes, restart the system. Normally, it boots like nothing happened after this.

Once I get into Windows 10, I've been having some strange USB issues where the ports stop working at random, and sometimes freeze or BSOD which causes me to have to uninstall/reinstall the drivers and restart the system to get their functionality back. I was having some problems with the Killer Ethernet driver but I replaced the driver/software with a newer version directly from Killer's website and the random BSODs and latency issues/freezing I was experiencing while gaming disappeared. Now, it's just the intermittent boot failure and random USB issues I need to try to solve.

Gigabyte support has been pretty fantastic with troubleshooting the intermittent boot failure. We first tried eliminating non-essential hardware and then verifying things like correct drivers, etc. I then borrowed a friends GPU (ASUS Strix 980) and swapped it for a couple of days with mine on each PCI port to see if that had any effect. We've tried just about everything and they were unable to take it any further without initiating an RMA. Before I go that route, I wanted to ask here to see if, by any off chance it could be something I'm missing or perhaps something I haven't tried.

I am currently running UEFI/BIOS version F21a and I have considered trying the latest beta UEFI/BIOS version to see if there's any change. I've also done two fresh installations of Windows 10 with the media creation tool to try and see if it was a botched installation. There has been no change with either.

Thanks for reading and please feel free to ask any questions that might help.

Re: Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming-5P | Intermittent Boot Failure & USB Crashes in Windows 10

unplug all storage+ add a temp hdd and install win 10 def

try 1 driver at a time, and see you can boot up say 5 times. then next driver etc.

also tested ram?

Comment

Re: Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming-5P | Intermittent Boot Failure & USB Crashes in Windows 10

Originally posted by terrabyteone View Post
      unplug all storage+ add a temp hdd and install win 10 def

try 1 driver at a time, and see you can boot up say 5 times. then next driver etc.

also tested ram?
      Sorry about the delay! I ran a memory check and found no issues. I just installed the latest BIOS from the Gigabyte Website (F22g) using the BIOS USB port and a FAT32 formatted USB. Everything went well with the installation and so far... *fingers crossed* my Boot/USB issues seem to have dissipated. I'm going to monitor this a few more days and cycle it on and off daily with normal use to see if it starts to fail again.

If it does, I've got a 2TB HDD here with zeroes written to it and I can load Windows 10x64 on it and try that one driver at a time. Thanks for the input, hoping it was just a bad flash on that BIOS before or a fix in the new one.

Comment

check this thread on OverclockersUK , found it looking for similar issues on a GA_x99_UD3P , but try switching USB Smart Auto to Auto on the xHCI Controller (USB3),
        The X99 platform doesn't like some older USB stuff like Hubs and joysticks etc. . Might not need the Whole thread but try from page 12 on to start.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sh...php?t=18697252

Comment

Working...
        X