No announcement yet.

Asrock J3355M doesn't power on (mostly)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock J3355M doesn't power on (mostly)

Hi,
    power-on and beeing in UEFI worked fine. But installation of Ubuntu failed, the only thing was a black screen with a "-" in the upper left corner.
    Installing Windows 10 worked fine instead. After a lot of tries, I figured out that I have to use CSM Compatibility support for Ubuntu.
    Then I installed Ubuntu Studio and every thing worked fine. After a while I shut down the system with power connected.
    After about a week I wasn't able to power on. I tried it several times, did a CMOS reset, but nothing happened.
    Then by accident the system started in UEFI and I was able to boot in Ubuntu.
    Currently no power-on happens, it behaves dead.

On Asrock website there is no new bios is available. Does anyone have an idea?

Regards
    Kranberger

Re: Asrock J3355M doesn't power on (mostly)

Dear Kranberger,
    This is Michael from ASRock Technical support Team.

About this situation, there are some suggestions for you to try:
    1. Confirm the ATX 24-pin power cord is connected to motherboard properly.
    2. Remove the CMOS battery to try.
    3. Please only install one memory and onboard VGA on your system to check if it can boot.
    If it can boot correctly, please install other devices back to the system one by one to check if it related to specific device.
    4. Install only single stick memory on each DIMM slots (A1/B1).
    5. If possible, try different memory module and power supply.

Thank you!

Have a great day,
    ASRock TSD-Michael

Comment

Originally posted by ASRock TSD-Michael View Post
      Dear Kranberger,
      This is Michael from ASRock Technical support Team.

About this situation, there are some suggestions for you to try:
      3. Please only install one memory and onboard VGA on your system to check if it can boot.
      If it can boot correctly, please install other devices back to the system one by one to check if it related to specific device.

Thank you!

Have a great day,
      ASRock TSD-Michael

Is not a really stable board at the moment, I have sometimes the same, after shutdown it wont boot at all and must remove power cord to get it back working again.

Also other bug is that cpu is stuck at 799Mhz, even with high load lets say transfer big files and play hevc in software mode(both cpu cores running 100%) in wont go to 2Ghz but stays stuck on 799MHz.

Hope this is not a hardwarebug but can be fixed with a (beta)bios.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I put the board away for some days and gave it a try today. Removing the CMOS battery didn't really change the behaviour. It seems, that if the board is removed from the case and put away, it works works afterwards. Then after some time it fails to start again. I'm not sure if it has to do with CSM Compatibility, which I have to enable to boot and work with openSuse 42.2.

@deviltje: I think you are completely right.

Does anybody know if a new BIOS (Beta?) is available?

Regards
        Jochen

Comment

I have seen many systems with booting and/or power on problems that were caused by a failing power supply.

Can you borrow a compatible power supply to see if this might be your problem?

What is the brand name and model name of your power supply?

Please provide a link to the manufacturer's English web page for your power supply that provides detailed specifications and certifications.

Other than removing the motherboard battery you did not reply to any of ASRock TSD-Michael's remaining suggestions.
          Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
          P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
          4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
          MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
          Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
          WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
          Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
          SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
          Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
          Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
          Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
          MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
          Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
          HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
          CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
          E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
          Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
          Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
          HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Hello profJim,

For my first tries I used a Mini-Box PicoPSU-160-XT 160W, today I use a Seasonic 650W. Both power supplies behave the same. The seasonic is from my former PC and I had it temporarly in 2 other PCs, without any issue.
            This power supply is absolutely oversized. I don't think that the power supply is the fault.
            Meanwhile the Mini-Box PicoPSU works fine with an AMD A8-7600.

Now I will re-check the suggestions from Michael:

To 1) This I did.
            To 2) As mentioned
            To 3) I have just one memory module on no external graphics card, so I also did it without any notice.
            To 4) Don't know what exactly the single stick memory means?
            To 5) In the beginning I had also a different memory block (I used 2 memory blocks with a higher speed)

All changes did not change the behavior, it is nearly unpredictable when the board boots.
            It seems, that it boots, if it is build into the case and all cables were connected again. I had the board in my cabinet for two weeks, when I build the board into a new case everything went fine, until the board decided not to boot.
            This sounds strange.

Regards
            Jochen

Comment

same problem here with j3355m :(

Comment

Working...
              X