What's the difference between 512 mb pc 133 SDRAM High Densi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the difference between 512 mb pc 133 SDRAM High Densi

What is the difference between high density SDRAM and regular SDRAM?? I have a site that is selling 512 mb of pc 133 SDRAM for $34.00 HIGH DENSITY and selling 512 mb of pc 133 SDRAM REGULAR for $36.00 (Both are OEM) The site is www.ld-technology.com What is the main difference between the two as BOTH are pc 133 SDRAM and require your motherboard to support 64x4 standard?? Also, can you "mix and match" High density SDRAM with REGULAR pc 133 SDRAM???
    Here are my specs:
    System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

Will somebody PLEASE answer this question?? It is a simple one!
    Here are my specs:
    System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

Comment

I don't believe there is any difference actually, as I understand it density is based on the amount of memory per RAM module ( # of Mb per stick, so to speak ).

A 512Mb stick of RAM would be denser than a 128, but a 512 is a 512. Though it is certainly possible to have a different memory chip configuration between two memory sticks with the same amount of RAM.

I think you are probably seeing the retailer using the product description as it is provided by the manufacturer. It does get confusing shopping for the right part because of that.

It might be easier to find a reputable memory manufacturers site, find out what it is you need, and then search the web for the best prices for that part. (though it does certainly appear you do know what you're looking for already:thumb: )

Excellent question! Shopping for hardware is a freaking jungle sometimes.: peace2:
      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Thanks for the reply! I really needed that cleared up!
        Here are my specs:

Comment

I may be wrong but isn't High Density RAM intended for AMD/Via systems and Low Density RAM for Intel? :confused:

Comment

Current Intel mobos support high density too. Some older mobos (both Intel and AMD) only suported low density ram. Some had ram sockets that only supported 64mb or 128mb sticks. Back in the days of simms, most sockets could only 4mb initially. Of course that was when ram sold for $50/mb, so you would never have thought of buying a gig of ram anyway. Yeh, Win 3.0 with 8mb, my first fast computer ($2500, no sound, no cd, 9600 modem, 512k video ram, and a really cool 14" SVGA monitor).

Comment

Hah. i remember my first fast computer. 80486 33mhz, monochrome monitor later upgraded to 256 colours, no CD drive, later upgraded to 1x CD drive, 175MB HDD, 8MB ram, windows 3.1

Comment

Working...
              X