winxp on 256mb of ram ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winxp on 256mb of ram ?

I just got win xp home from ms legit boxed :D I'm running 2k and am going to switch to home for my current computer emachine t3100 256mb max double sided ram installed and am wondering if this is really enough ram I ran xp pro on 128mb's and the page file was hit freqeuntly I run norton system works and zone alarm as my primary anti everything setup with a couple other smaller backup's just to be safe when I'm on line p2p and all . so back to my question is 256mb's enough under 2kwhile I'm writng this I have 140mb's free

Yes, but more is always better.
    I ran windows 2k for years with my dual P3 600 and 256 MB of PC100 Ram. Never had any problems. You will be fine.

With XP, I would run it with 512. I think that is for the optimal running situation. It will work with 256, but not as well. At least that was my experience with the mentioned system about.

Comment

I've been running XP the last month or two off of 256meg coz i had to move the 64meg stick into another box....but i have never experienced any problems at all...of course, more is better :) but you can live with 256 :)
      At the request of wiggo ;)

Comment

my question is should I switch to xp or stick with 2k based on the amount of ram I have ,which is the max supported becuase of some acpi bs I can't change or update in my bios damn emachine fuey:thumbs do

Comment

hmm i got a machine that ran xp pro on a 233mhz k6 with 108 MB of ram, without any problems, so i dont see why 256 wouldnt be enough?

Comment

IMO goto XP, it has more features, (install SP1 of course), and you'll be all set...but thats just my opinion, and no doubt we're going to start a war over "No, 2K is better than XP!"...

Basically its up to you, install XP if you wish, take a squiz and if you don't like it, format and chuck 2k back on...make sure you keep your reciepts from the XP purchase and you can possibly sell it, I'm not entirely sure the laws on this, but i guess you can...simple as that...
            At the request of wiggo ;)

Comment

Working...
            X