Huge Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huge Problem

I bought a new case and I transfered everything in my old case to the new one, I didn't change anything else. I go to turn it on, it lights up for about a millisecond and then shuts itself off. The fans turn on then off.

Whats the problem? I've tried almost everything.

I hooked up the LED, Reset Switch, Power Switch, and everything according the manual. Triple checked everything and the same thing happens.

I cleared the CMOS and tried, still nothing. I unplugged all of the power supply connectors and reconnected, nothing. I took off the IDE cables and recoonected them, nothing. Floppy drive connectors are in place, everything is in place. It is perfect and I have no idea why it won't turn on.

I press the power button on the front and it makes a flash and then turns off right away.

I'm sorry if alot of the above doesn't make sense but I am trying to type as fast as I can to get an answer. I've been spending half the day putting this all together, I even cut myself on the case (huge cut). I feel really bad right now that I've spent money on a good case and some new parts that won't even work.

Check your motherboard mounting, it's possible you have a short between your mobo and the case. Check the slot covers in the case also - a forum member recently had an incident where they were shorting out against the rear edge of the motherboard.

Is this a new power supply too? maybe that's a problem.

Cut back to your bare essentials if all that turns up nothing. PSU, Mobo, CPU, Video, RAM see if you still have the problem. Change out any parts you can - if it's good, then add 1 piece at a time till you find a cause.
    But only do that after you have thoroughly exhausted all possibility of a short along the mobo/case and any PSU defects.

be sure your power supply is set to the proper voltage too of course
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

A short between the motherboard and the standoffs would be my first guess. I know that I have had it happen to me a few times before. Also, does your motherboard require a fan to be plugged into a certain header? I know that Abit did that with a couple of their boards in the past and I'm not familiar enough with MSI to know if this might be an issue or not.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

I think it does have to do with the motherboard touching the case because I tightened pretty hard, this is my first time putting together a case and the tutorials I looked at never mentioned anything about this.

Will this ruin the motherboard? I hope not because I love this motherboard and put alot of time in working on it.

Comment

There is every chance the motherboard is OK. But there is only 1 way to be sure, identify and correct the problem, then give it a whirl.
          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

It worked! Everything things to boot up just fine, now I need a new hard drive since I found out I was ripped off.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Working...
            X