System Check for Nephew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System Check for Nephew

you can get an OEM version of winxp and drop the price another $100... and you can do a full install with an ugrade version if you have a previous windows cd (anything above 95). Look for an oem processor and buy a heatsink to go on it...often times the stock hsf just dosn't cut it. But aside from that it looks ok. Oh, and if he's looking for a office suite at some point, check out openoffice.org...it's free and is compatable with ms office documents (it works great).

Comment

It might be worth while looking into a Radeon9500 non-pro...

they're about $35USD more than a 9000 pro - plus there's been a pretty good success rate using the software tweak to open up the 4 disabled pipelines giving you a functional 9500pro....there's also rumours of some 3rd party 9500-128MB's being built on 9700 PCB's including the 256bit memory bus...so you could end up with the equivalent of a 9700 for peanuts

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys.

Here's a quick price breakdown for the components

MB $84
        CPU $88 Retail, OEM is only $77
        CDRW $57
        VC $89
        HD $89
        Case $63
        OS $93 Shows box, I'm assuming OEM with price
        MEM $69
        K&M $28 Optical Mouse
        Total $660

So I guess suggestions requested would be, if I went OEM CPU what cooling do you recommend?

RDR - He's pretty much totally new to computers, besides playing games at my house, so I don't wanna over work him with the trouble of the videocard, since I myself haven't OCed any videocards. I told him this was gonna be a machine that wouldn't be super fast, but can be with some upgrades. This was all just thrown together on googlegear, newegg was more expensive. I might try pricegrabber for all the parts.

Comment

thermaltake volcano 7+ or 9 ($24-30) should suit you pretty well. I've been using a volcano 6+ on my 2100+ untill today...and i was getting pretty good temps , 38-42 C ...36 when my room is cool...(according to asus probe software anyway), but i also have exceptional case cooling. Consider getting some Article silver 3 for your thermal goop, it's about $6

Comment

I sent you an email CARB check it out it has good deals...
            - Damien

Comment

Working...
            X