Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will getting more RAM improve BF1942 for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will getting more RAM improve BF1942 for me?

Here's my specs, I'm going to get another stick of 512mb DDR pc2100 so I'll have about 1024mb.

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ (1.73Ghz)
    ABIT USA KX7-333R Motherboard
    PNY Geforce4 Ti4400 128mb Graphics Card
    512mb Kingston DDR PC2100 RAM
    SB Audigy MP3+
    Lite-On 48x12x48x CD-R/RW
    LITEON DVD-ROM LTD-165H H1 T1
    Antec SX1040 Beige Case w/ 400w PSU
    Speakers are my CD player speakers
    Windows XP Pro

Honestly it prolly won't....Is that system lagging with BF1942?
    - Damien

Comment

Ya, it stutters a little bit and I've tried all of the things that Tweaktown reccomends for it's tweaking

Comment

I can't remember what was in the guide, but have you tried turning off Hardware sound? On most Creative soundcards this makes a hell of a difference..

Also, with that much RAM, you'll probably get some slightly faster loading times and a tiny performance increase, but don't expect too much.

I play with a GF3 / Athlon 1800+ / 512MB DDR and it runs fine on my machine.

Comment

Try what Beefy says..i have my That card and man that card is a *****...if it wasn'ty for the EAX its comes with i would geta hercules. I am gonna grab a Audigy from my friend and see how that baby works...
          - Damien

Comment

Your system shouldn't stutter at all, even with 512MB of RAM. I suspect you have something open in the background which is causing the problem.

I have an Audigy and I turn off Hardware Sound for best trouble-free performance.

Otherwise follow the guide and in particular follow the XP Guide linked to for setting the correct disk cache and virtual memory sizes which are very important.
            My Machine

Comment

Flaco, it seems to be with all Creative cards, so getting another Audigy isn't gonna help matters much. :(

Comment

Originally posted by PersianImmortal
                Otherwise follow the guide and in particular follow the XP Guide linked to for setting the correct disk cache and virtual memory sizes which are very important.
                They aren't that important. I'm got two default set-ups at home and they run fine. While it may make some difference, I wouldn't count on it.

Comment

Ok, I'll fiddle around with some of that junk and see if it helps me at all.

Comment

i have bf 1942 running on a p3 1ghz, 512 ram, gf4 4400 and i have no LAG/slowdows. the only thing that i can think of causing u lag is stuff running in the back ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
                      Flaco, it seems to be with all Creative cards, so getting another Audigy isn't gonna help matters much. :(
                      Doesn't hurt to try...today as a matter of fact i was playing WC3 and all sound went out..i was wtf...i still won the game tho...hehe
                      - Damien

Comment

Originally posted by FLaCo
                        Doesn't hurt to try...today as a matter of fact i was playing WC3 and all sound went out..i was wtf...i still won the game tho...hehe
                        I tried it and it works great. The only problems i've had is that the sound will bug out since there's no hardware acceleration.

Comment

I occasionally get sound outages, usually when I've been multitasking out of BF. At least it's playable now though.

Comment

Ya, i had everything close that I could. I've been told by some people that have 512mb who upgraded to 768 have eliminated the stuttering completely but I don't know if they have audigy cards.

Comment

Again, i really don't think more memory will give you a performance boost in the game...better multi tasking tho...

Look at the others they have older hardware...and it can still keep up...have you tried removing the sound card...and see how it plays with out one...
                              - Damien

Comment

Working...
                              X