Ga-8inxp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ga-8inxp

I was checking out the new Gigabyte Mobo's and saw the 8INXP.
    It looks great, but there's this misterious black ISA looking thing behind the backplate.
    I have no idea what this is.
    Here's A link if you want to have a look: http://tw.giga-byte.com/products/8inxpp.htm

For starters, I assure you it is not an ISA slot or anything of the sort - as much as it looks it.

You can read more about it in Cameron Johnson's review:

http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...Id=418&dPage=4
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

That is the board to drool over...

Oh, damn...time to mop up my desk now.

Comment

Anyone know if you can you use DDR400 or DDR433 with this MB?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Ordawg
          Anyone know if you can you use DDR400 or DDR433 with this MB?

Thanks
          Granite Bay only has official support for (dual channel) DDR266

Comment

Originally posted by //alias
            I was checking out the new Gigabyte Mobo's and saw the 8INXP.
            It looks great, but there's this misterious black ISA looking thing behind the backplate.
            I have no idea what this is.
            Here's A link if you want to have a look: http://tw.giga-byte.com/products/8inxpp.htm
            it's for the "dual power system" daughter card....

Comment

It does look like a beast of a board, but its so expensive!
              Its like $500 AUD!
              What exactly is Granite Bay, and why is it only PC2100 ram compliant?
              *CAN* you run PC3200/3500 Ram on it?

//alias

Comment

It only "offically" supports pc 2100...you can run higher rated ram in it though, I'll be running corsair xms 3200(DDR400) in it. Don't waste your money on 3500 yet. Granite Bay is intels newest chipset that supports DDRII. That means you'll need to run 2 sticks of the same ram to see any gains in performance memory wise. The mobo also supports 8x AGP and serial SATA HD's. The GA-8INXP will also support up to 10 HD's. If you're into intel, you might want to wait for the Springdale/Canterwood release expected Q2 2003...which probably means August or September 2003! SiS has recently released its' newest chipset, the 655 which shows alot of promise and may possible support DDR400 by the time of its' release.
                :cheers:

Comment

Originally posted by ArborBarber
                  It only "offically" supports pc 2100...you can run higher rated ram in it though, I'll be running corsair xms 3200(DDR400) in it. Don't waste your money on 3500 yet. Granite Bay is intels newest chipset that supports DDRII. That means you'll need to run 2 sticks of the same ram to see any gains in performance memory wise.
                  No. It does not use DDR II. It uses Dual-channel DDR--and that is the reason why you need 2 sticks of memory. The only thing that's gonna have DDR II in the very immediate future is the GeForce FX.

Comment

You are correct, dual channel ddr is what the GA-8INXP supports.
                    The next chipset offering DDRII support will most likely be the SiS 656 in Q2 2003.
                    :thumb:

Comment

The 8INXP definitely seems like the board to buy. I have two questions though.

Does anyone know what is the problem with availability of this boards in the US? For over a month now, all of the North American online retailers have been giving expected delivery dates that are always two days into the future. And every time that date arrives, they move them another two days into the future. It seems like folks in Aus, NZ, and other parts of the far east have the board, right? Did some ship get held up that had all of the NA bound boards on it? What's the deal? If this doesn't resolve itself soon, I may be tempted to lower my sights to a 8IHXP just to get this machine built (well, I did say almost :)).

Also, I am confused by the questions/comments about using high speed memory with this board. I don't have much experience overclocking, but it seems to me that it is important to keep the memory speed and the speed of the FSB in synch. Using Dual Channel DDR at 266, the two will be completely in synch. If I overclock the memory, I would want to overclock the FSB accordingly to keep them in synch, right? If so, I can't understand why I would want faster than say PC2400. That would allow plenty of room to take the FSB up to 600 (if that is even possible). Can someone explain why this thinking is wrong?

TIA.

Comment

Greg007...

i got mine by luck of showing up on anandtech forums on time... but i had been waiting for about 3 months ( no pre-order, just waiting... ) i had heard, and maybe ArborBarber could corroborate this since i seen him lurking around anandtech :), that asus was halting production on their granite bay offering for good or for awhile, or something like that. **warning: i could be wrong **

this could mean, were it true, that the gigabyte boards are taking the hit and production wasnt ramped up for this kind of rush... or not :D

as to the second part of your post: i seen people do amazing things with 3000 and 3500 mem on their granite bays and 845Es...

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I actually ordered an 8INXP from a webtailer that swore to me over the phone that they had it in stock. I am cautiously optimistic, but I will not feel secure until I receive the ship verification.

As to your second point, the 845 chip set does not support dual channel DDR. PC1000 (266Mhz) in a board with Dual Channel support essentially runs memory at 533 Mhz. That is a memory bandwidth equivalent to, for example, the 850E chipset with 1066 Rambus memory. In other words, Dual Channel DDR is an architecture that get amazingly fast memory bandwidth out of relatively slow memory chips by time plexing them (switching accesses between the two memory banks). So, to reask my question, why use faster memory with a MoBo that supports Dual Channel DDR when the rest of the system can't handle more memory bandwidth (unless the FSB speed is also increased)?

Comment

granite bays run 1:1, the only way to OC this mobo is to play w/the fsb and therefore, you need faster mem onboard to keep up... not 3500 maybe... I think i'll be settling for 3000 myself.

i think i just "answered" your question... :?:

** oh yeah, the 845Es arent dual channel are they... **

Comment

Just wondering.... since 266*2 = 533 (p4's fsb), if they were to make dual channel DDR support for 333 and up, would there still be any increase in preformance?

Comment

Working...
                              X