Cd-RW tray jammed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cd-RW tray jammed

Well as my rig is placed under my desk it is at knee hight. So to shorten the story i swing round to talk, hit the tray (which had just come out from copying) and now it is stuck in. Now i was just woundering wot the likely cause of this will be. I'm going to have a look tommorow but any ideas as to wot it is would be great.:thumb:

Thanx for any help James (rugbydude) LIdgett

Well, the cause would be your knee. :p

You might try getting a paper clip first off and seeing if you can get the drive to manually release the tray. A lot of times it will work normally after you get it out that first time the hard way. Just don't pull too hard on it.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

You may have to open it up and reposition any of the drive line components that are knocked out of alignment. The 3 possibilities are: binding due to misalignment, failure to engage a component in the drivetrain due to misalignment, broken components. Often it is just a misalignment.

Comment

As you state that you had just finished copying, I can't help but wonder if the CD was in the tray?

If so, that jolt upset it from it's position, and it would be binding the tray operation.

If that is the case you might need to remove the drive and pull off the faceplate or cover and see if you can get that rascal to open.

Good luck!

Those rugby guys are animals
        :laugh:
        jk
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Well i got it out easy enough. But now when i try to close it it goes in a few millimeters than comes back out. If i try pushing it in manually its very hard and i don't want to seriously damage anything. So out it comes tonight and i will tell you what i find later:thumb: thnx for the help:thumb:

Comment

Well took it out and the tray had got . So in went a new cd-rw an msi-8348 and now i can't install the official drivers from the web site and in its current state it wont copy(it will however read cd's). Any other drivers that will work:confused:

Comment

why can't you install the drivers?
              what is the error that you are getting? :confused:
              is it 8348A(48x/16x/48x) or 8348S(48x/24x/48x)?
              Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
              Last Updated:
              10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
              ======================
              jabber : [email protected]
              =======================
              Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
              yabaa dabaa doo...
              Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Its the 8348A(48x/16x/48x). And when i try to install the firmware (something like that) which is done through the bios it says it can't find the drive. When i try to use the S's software to install it says it can't be flashed so i'm out of ideas.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Comment

Are you trying this way?

there is a .exe available here

oops...i gave a wrong link to MSI site. it should work now
                  Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                  Last Updated:
                  10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                  ======================
                  jabber : [email protected]
                  =======================
                  Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                  yabaa dabaa doo...
                  Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Yep i've tried both ways and it wont work. With one it doesn't see the drive. and with the .exe one it says firmware version can't flash. Wots going on:confused:

Comment

Working...
                    X