Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Should I sell this z77 Biostar mobo to a friend and pick up an AsRock Extreme6? Please help! (Building Z77 Rig)

gorillaplex is offline Junior Member

Default Should I sell this z77 Biostar mobo to a friend and pick up an AsRock Extreme6? Please help! (Building Z77 Rig)

Reasons for upgrading from x58 to z77:
    1) No matter what I try, I've never been able to get my x58 i7 920 stable past 3.6ghz with TRUE aircooler. (I know I could've went watercooling but it was out of my budget and interest back then, but I do intend to watercool for z77 CPU, eye is set on Corsair H80 or H100 self-contained watercooler). I intend to either get a 2700k or a 3770k. Thats not what I'm concerned about at the moment though, although I would appreciate advice.
    2) I'm also tired of the USB 2 bottleneck for external drives..
    3) ..as well as not having SATA III for my new SSD.
    4) I have 6x 2GB sticks of RAM equalling 12gb in my x58 system. I had to fiddle with voltages in order to get it all properly recognized, and I heard that running 6 sticks of RAM is FAR less reliable than having say, 2 sticks of 8GB = 16GB, which I've already purchased for my new rig (DDR31600 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaw)

Now here's the situation:

I purchased a Biostar TZ77XE3 (Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TZ77XE3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS) as it was on sale for $70 new after rebates. Not one to just buy things TOO impulsively, I did a quick vet, reading reviews and making sure it had what I need. I wound up buying it, but now I'm starting to wish I took a little more time, as I have the following concerns and am thinking of selling the Biostar to a friend and picking up an AsRock Extreme6 Newegg.com - ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard . Can anyone help set me straight here? I just have a few small questions....

1) Only 2 SATAIII ports? What might I wind up needing more SATAIII ports for? I currently have one SATAIII device, a 256GB SSD that I'm currently running SATAII on.
    2) Only 2 USB3 on the back of Biostar vs. 4 on the back of AsRock. Same amount of board headers though. So... I hear you can buy a USB 2.0 hub feeding 10 devices on one plug. Is it possible to run a hub off USB 3.0 in the same fashion?
    3) No onboard 1394 on Biostar. I'm going to be doing a lot of music production and my primary audio interface uses Firewire. Sure I could throw a PCI card in the Biostar for only $20 Newegg.com - Rosewill PCIE FireWire 1394a Card 2+1 Ports Model RC-504 but is a PCIE card for 1394 going to be as fast as 1394 direct into motherboard? And it takes up a PCI slot I might otherwise want to use...
    4) From what it seems, Biostar has subpar customer support. Based on what I've seen, I can't decide how I feel about them: Are they manufacturers of cheap lazily designed boards just trying to kick out a profit, or are they really the overclocker's best friend as some people seem to say they are?!
    5) The Biostar has a 13 phase power design vs. 8+4 on the AsRock. Whats the difference?

6 [and probably the most important question]) Should I just run with the Biostar or spend $160 for, what I believe to be (unless I'm mistaken) a better board (AsRock Extreme6) with features that'll make me wish I bought the AsRock to begin with? Are these features worth my trouble finding someone to sell to?

I'm not looking to build some gargantuan NASA-esque RAID array, but I do want the ability to add more SATAIII devices if need be. Who knows, maybe SSDs will get larger and cheaper in the next few years and then I'll be kicking myself for not getting the AsRock.

7 [optional]) 2700k vs 3770k for someone not planning on using onboard video but wanting a high overclock, not caring about PCI 3.0? Did I just answer my own question? Worth getting a 2700k over a 3770k with this in mind?

Your help will be much appreciated!! I'm stuck

wazza300 is online now Sloth Fratelli-Moderator

Default Re: Should I sell this z77 Biostar mobo to a friend and pick up an AsRock Extreme6? Please help! (Building Z77 Rig)

keep what you originally bought and use it,haswell will be just around the corner anyway

2 sata3 ports is plenty and the biostar is a good budget board,running 16gb of ram will be easy on z77 due to no overclocking through the bclk,all oc is done with the cpu multiplier
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information