Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: New laptop New problems!

:D OK, sorry if this is in the wrong forum but wasnt sure where to put it.

I recently (few weeks ago) bought a new laptop , and was intending to use it to do some PLC programming , however i require the use of a serial port, which my new laptop does not have!!(doh). After browsing the net for a bit it seems that very few new laptops have serial(COM) ports. Is there anyway i can rectify this problem by e.g. get a serial port "retrofitted" or is their a pcmcia card type adapter availible.

Any ideas??

And why are serial ports dying off?? Iv got bought 7 connector cables for various plcs and vsds that require one!!!

cheers :cheers:

COM ports are really old and slow. The replacement is pretty much USB (universal serial bus) USB 2.0 can handel well over 100MBps, and can connect over 100 devices (i think its around 130) at once, with the use of hubs.

I am not quite sure, but there may be a COM to USB adapter out there somewhere, check your local computer store and your sure to find something along those lines.

I think I have seen USB -> Com adapters too... you can look on ebay, but remember they might not do what you want to do with them, its hard to know.

But your best bet is probably just to go with a 'dock' for your laptop. Most dock's have all kinds of ports. Most laptops have docks that accompany them for around $50-150 USD

Serial Ports are dying off FAST, so maybe looking into the Next standard in your field is worthwhile.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

I'm fairly sure that I have seen a pcmcia card with a COM port...you'll probably have to do some searching to find such a thing

but I do know that serial --> usb cables exist, but they don't always work for all devices
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Cheers for the speedy replies folks, at least now iv got some options to look into!!:laugh:

they definately make the adpaters:

http://www.usbgear.com/item_288.html

but I still would suggest the USB port replicator as most laptops couls use the extra PS/2 or serial port at times.. it can come in handy..

Thread Information