Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Poll: Is this brand any good?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Sager laptops...anyone have one?




  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Ok, used to say I would never buy a laptop (or PC) ATi product. But the Medion laptop (check Bestbuy.com) I found at Best Buy is still sitting uneasy with me b/c I can't really find anyone who has one or has heard of the company.

    BUT...last night while searching around Yahoo, I found laptops by a company called Sager. They seem to be along the lines of Alienware & Voodoo PC laptops...BUT...they have better video and are a little cheaper.

    I'm gonna be buying the laptop from this website b/c I won't have to pay tax...WOOHOO!!!

    http://www.powernotebooks.com/config...6&model_id=283

    Afte searching around www.sagerforums.com, I have decided to get the Sager NP 5680 ULTRA laptop. Here are some pics:








    Here are the specs I'm gonna get:

    :D:D$2,194:D:D

    - Pentium 4 2.6Ghz w/ Hyper-threading & 800FSB
    - 1 GIG of Dual Channel DDR400 RAM
    - 15" UXGA 1600x1200 screen
    - ATi Mobility Radeon 9600 PRO w/ 128MB
    - 60GB Hard drive
    - 2x DVD-R/RW/CD-RW drive
    - 3.5" 1.44MB floppy drive
    - (1) IEEE 1394 (Firewire)
    - (4) USB 2.0 ports
    - 56k v.90 modem
    - 10/100/1000 (gigabyte) Network connection


    So whatcha guys think? I'm gonna be using it with AC power, so battery life doesn't matter to me.

    Oh yea...there is no OS with the system, but that is fine with me b/c I have all the software I need...MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Oh yea...almost forgot...

    Alienware uses Sager laptops but Alienware laptops come with less options and they overcharge...GO SAGER!!!


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    The Land of OZ!
    Posts
    674

    Default

    actually alienware give you more options and better support. thats what you pay for.

    I have a Sager N5620S, a P4/2ghz/768MB RAM/40gigHD/ATI radeon 7500 video with 64MB/and 8x8x24x6x CDRW/DVD combo. I'm very happy with it except for its poor battery life but since i mostly use it for LAN parties I don't worry much about that. its over 1 year old and still going strong. One warning many of the cheaper Sager models have desktop CPUs in them and even though they have like 4 cooling fans inside they still can get hot enough to burn the hair off your arm during an extended gaming session.

    Once at a LAN party the guy sitting next to me fell asleep with his hand on the left side of my laptop [where the hot air gets exhausted by the fans] We were playing a rather long MOHAA session and he suddenly woke up screaming , he had a second degree burn on his forearm due to the hot exhaust from my laptop. :devil: :flames:

    http://www.discountlaptops.com has some good prices on Sager models. There are several brands that are the exact same thing as Sagers they are all made by a company called Clevo.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    The Land of OZ!
    Posts
    674

    Default

    Also I should point out that the latest Area 51 notebooks from Alienware have a custom body and not just Sager/Clevo's body with a custom paintjob...


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDD
    actually alienware give you more options and better support. thats what you pay for.

    I have a Sager N5620S, a P4/2ghz/768MB RAM/40gigHD/ATI radeon 7500 video with 64MB/and 8x8x24x6x CDRW/DVD combo. I'm very happy with it except for its poor battery life but since i mostly use it for LAN parties I don't worry much about that. its over 1 year old and still going strong. One warning many of the cheaper Sager models have desktop CPUs in them and even though they have like 4 cooling fans inside they still can get hot enough to burn the hair off your arm during an extended gaming session.

    Once at a LAN party the guy sitting next to me fell asleep with his hand on the left side of my laptop [where the hot air gets exhausted by the fans] We were playing a rather long MOHAA session and he suddenly woke up screaming , he had a second degree burn on his forearm due to the hot exhaust from my laptop. :devil: :flames:

    http://www.discountlaptops.com has some good prices on Sager models. There are several brands that are the exact same thing as Sagers they are all made by a company called Clevo.
    Well I'm pretty tech savvy and I usually know more then most tech people when I ask a question, so tech support isn't really a problem.

    I'm actually gonna be buying this cooler:



    I've read up and and everyone says it works good with the SAger laptops b/c it blows air into the laptop.

    PCtorque.com has better prices on Sager laptops then discountlaps.com. Thnx for the link tho...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDD
    Also I should point out that the latest Area 51 notebooks from Alienware have a custom body and not just Sager/Clevo's body with a custom paintjob...

    Those are pretty spiffy looking...PLUS...I LOVE the option to be able to upgrade the video cards. They showed how you do it on TechTV...the way the alien's eyes light up and change is cool.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    The Land of OZ!
    Posts
    674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jago6498
    Well I'm pretty tech savvy and I usually know more then most tech people when I ask a question, so tech support isn't really a problem.

    I'm actually gonna be buying this cooler:



    I've read up and and everyone says it works good with the Sager laptops b/c it blows air into the laptop.

    PCtorque.com has better prices on Sager laptops then discountlaps.com. Thnx for the link tho...
    PCTorque, the guys who run the sagerforums? thats surprising the only more expensive prices from discount laptops used to be when you bought the OS with the laptop.. I just bought a bare machine last year no HD/RAM or OS. saved a lot that way.

    I like the cooler you want to get. you probably won't need it unless you plan to keep it on 24/7 though because the rear of the Sager 5000 series is fairly high off the ground there's plenty of ruun for air circulation. just don't try running it on your bed or a rug [try to stick to running it on a hard surface like a table/desk].

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    New England Highlands, Australia
    Posts
    21,907

    Default

    What's a laptop? :confused:

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    13

    Default

    I checked Powernotebooks.com, PC torque & the link you gave me...and PCtorque had the cheapest price.

    I'm ordering the CPU, HDD & RAM with it (obviously)...but I'm not ordering the OS or any software b/c I already have all the software I need.

    I'll pretty much be using the cooler whenever I use it at home for school work b/c I will be using programs like 3D Studio Max & Maya...and at LAN parties b/c I know the sucker is gonna get REALLY hot when I'm playing games all night on it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    3,141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    What's a laptop? :confused:
    I've always asked myself that very question to..


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •