Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB stoped working

ok guys, i've got a rather pressing problem. My usb seems to have stopped working all together. It's working one minute, reboot and it stops working the next. It's not a software problem, since it doesn't work in either winxp or linux. I havn't got a clue why it would suddenly stop, pratically disappear. My usb controlers do show up under Device Manager, so I know something is working. I can add more detail later if nessesary, but I must get a few hrs sleep before class.

*note: 3 times now, my PC has frozen while rebooting. It happens after windows exits, with blank screen, before actaul rebot. My USB stoped working after the 2nd bad reboot.
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

is your computer overclocked?

Quote Originally Posted by minibubba
    *note: 3 times now, my PC has frozen while rebooting. It happens after windows exits, with blank screen, before actaul rebot.
    wat abt the System Event Viewer? something must have been logeed for such a thing.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

it's not OC, been stock for a few months now. nothing in sys. events either, that was the 1st thing I checked.

another note, on my first boot into linux after this, there was a blue sceen that flashed during load that said somehting about hardware changes... but I didn't get any details

well I wish I could have gotten some good help, but I seemed to have figured it out anyway... although I'm not sure how :confused:

I just opened it up, dusted everything off, checked all the connections, and unplugged usb5 & usb6 from the mobo... booted it up and it all worked like nothing had ever happened... except for the disovery of 'new' hardware
    At least it's working now, i just wish I knew what caused this in the first place... it's bugging the hell outa me.

Ya'd be amazed at how many probs can be fixed with a good clean out (dust can be conductive).

there wasn't that much dust though, I just cleaned it out a month ago :shrug:

Well ya must be more unlucky than most then to get some just in the wrong place so soon. :D

Dude. You need to go into the BIOS and go to advanced perepherals and look for usb somewhere and you need to enable it again. I might if gotten disabled during the reboot.

Dude. did you miss my post that it is working again and had nothing to do with the bios?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information