Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer keeps beeping

Hi? I bought a new mem stick thinking it was DDR 2100-266 the fin print looked like 2100 but it was DDR 2700 333 /anyways i stuck it in to my mem slot booted up now the comp just beeps like there's no mem at all. When i put my old mem back in it doe's the same thing just beeps. My mother board manual call's for 2100 -266 for the high.Have i done my board in. is there away to reset it,
    Apollo P4 266 VL-33-S
    Via chip set
    Intel P4 1.7
    Thanks to who replies

The beeps are like morse code and most decent manuals will have a page which explains the code but check to make sure that ya haven't dislodged the video card from its slot. Ya did may sure to ground ya self out of static electricity b4 goin' into the case I hope.
    BTW the PC2700 should still have worked in ya mobo.

Ya i grounded my self and the beeps are 1 long and then a beeb about every 3 seconds. What i did is put the new stick in with the old one still in, didn't show up as 512 (2 sticks of 256) so took the old one out to see if it show the new stick and thats when it started to beeb at boot up. Put the old one back in and new one out,still beeps. I can't get into my bios to check timing or nothing.
    And my manual doesn't show any thing about the beeps.checked my video card looks ok,seated in the slot.Maybe fried my mem sticks.
    Thanks for the reply

OK, first of all make sure you unplug your computer when doing anything to the memory
    After that, go into bios and check that the memory timings are correct
    also clear your cmos if the above dont help.
    :2cents:

I have Award bios, memory or video problems = one long beep followed by three short.
    If your beeps one every second or so continusly may be cpu fan failure.????????
    If you cant access bios not booting either and you have had memory failure, you'll have to remove that new stick of memory replace old one, reset cosmo may be jumpers if board has and or remove battery for few seconds and or possibly unplugging power for few minutes,
    Then you should be able to access bios or boot
    MEMORY FAILURE WILL CAUSE NO BOOT AND NO ACCESS TO BIOS
    Not all mother boards are the same procedure for reset cosmos
    nor is the beep codes
    Memory failure can be caused by incorrect settings in bios
    Fan failure cause cpu failure, overheating once cooled should boot till hot again
    PC 2700 memory should run in your board would only run at PC 2100 speeds?????????

reset cosmos? WHOA, I hope you mean cmos!
    cosmos is a whole different thing ;)
    highly unadvisable to try to restet that :laugh:

OK i'll try the cmos i do have a jumper on my board so i just move it over from 1-2 to 2-3 for a few seconds with it unplugged right and then move it back and boot up , i have the old stick back in

Quote Originally Posted by Budlite
    OK i'll try the cmos i do have a jumper on my board so i just move it over from 1-2 to 2-3 for a few seconds with it unplugged right and then move it back and boot up , i have the old stick back in
    OK i tried that but still beeping at boot up!
    Should i remove the battery and try that?

Quote Originally Posted by Budlite
    OK i tried that but still beeping at boot up!
    Should i remove the battery and try that?
    Question-- Do you think by any chance i blew my video card.
    and the original mem stick i had in there. I stuck the new one in 2700 DDR in it, quit beeping BUT it started to get hot and smelt hot to.Boy do i need help.

What got hot? mem, or video card or what??????
    Please note when reset cosmo or board all bios settings return to default settings, so if you had made changes in bios after reset , they would need to be reset again
    Is this pc one you built or retail set up
    Do you have manuals, bios info etc

You should reset cosmo again and before you turn on power again remove memory remove suspect video card ( when removeing mem etc make sure power is off ok to leave pluged in turn off power switch on back of pc , If left pluged in you maintain ground which is good will help prevent electro static shock)

Try to post up, and check pc to see that all fans are running etc.
    ok to leave case open ,just dont touch anything while powered up.
    you will have beep codes due to missing mem and video card and possilbly any other problem devices,
    I would forget about your new stick of mem for now
    After post up and check of pc
    Reinstall original stick of mem
    Install basic video card if you have one otherwise try install the one you have unless it was very hot ,smoking etc ( could be TOAST????)
    then try to post up & enter bios make necessary changes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information