Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Bored: fixing this mouse

A friend of mine gave me this mouse. He managed to break the wires near the base. I got really bored, so I figured I would fix it up for myself (it's optical, USB, incredbly small; ideal for laptops). So first i stripped a good deal of the rubber of the set of wires. Then I stripped the rubber around the wires themselves, giving me five nice, long sets of copper wires. I have to totally cut the base rubber off on the mouse and then pull it out to the side to get the wires out and stripped. Then, I connected each wire on the mouse base with its correspondent on the USB cord. I plugged it in and it worked. XP installed it quickly, and it worked. However, if these copper wires barely touch a set of wires other than the ones they're supposed to, it stops working. If they come apart, it stops working. All of this was expected. My question is, what is a good way of connecting them and keeping them connected while being able to use the mouse? I have tried some different kinds of tapes (I can't seem to find anything good ATM, though), but simply wrapping the wires around each other seems to works better.

Any ideas?

Solder, low voltage iron, very small heat shrink to insulate each wire, bigger heat shrink to reinforce the cable
    The solder makes a fairly good mechanical connection for strength, the heat shrink improves on that and the larger heat shrink makes it even more gooder!
    AMD XP 2600+
    SOYO Dragon 400
    1 gig 3200 DDR
    Phillips CD/RW
    Pioneer DVD -/+ RW
    2-60 gig HD in RAID, 1 60 gig backup
    XP Pro

Sorry, should have mentioned, but I don't have a soldering iron ATM and can't get one. Otherwise I wouldn't have asked. I should have said, "What is a good alternative to a soldering iron to connect broken mouse wires?"

Something that conducts. Like jb weld(cold welding compound). Loc-tite makes a similar product.
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w