Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: threatre speakers on PC

Default threatre speakers on PC

I was wondering, is it possible to hook up my surround sound speakers to the computer. What would I need to buy, and the cost?

Default Re: threatre speakers on PC

Yes. Geussing that your theatre speakers have been made in the last 10 years, they should be able to hook up to the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum. Be sure to purchase the PLATINUM version because it has a port that youll need to hook the theatre speakers up. Im pretty sure of this. Good luck.

-c0ntra
    Athlon 64 3500+ at 2.4 ghz
    Thermalright XP-90
    MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
    1 gig Crucial BallistixPC3200
    BFG 6800 Ultra OC

which sound blaster card do I want? There are the ZS Gamer, ZS. Would I want a platinum PRO or just a platinum card.

Anything that is "platinum" you choose what version you want with the features. But platinum is important because it has the external hookup.
    Athlon 64 3500+ at 2.4 ghz
    Thermalright XP-90
    MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
    1 gig Crucial BallistixPC3200
    BFG 6800 Ultra OC

You don't NEED that. A lot of sound cards today, including some onboard sound, has good enough output to set up a surround sound system.

There's a couple ways in which you can hook up a surround sound system to a PC. The easiest two would be via Optical or Digital outputs. There's also some systems that support 3 x stereo leads (Front L/R, Rear L/R, Centre/Sub channels)... It all boils down to which speaker system you want to use, and what sound card you have.

What inputs does your current speaker system have?
    All around me are familiar faces
    Worn out places, worn out faces
    Bright and early for their daily races
    Going nowhere, going nowhere

Quote Originally Posted by Mutineer
    You don't NEED that. A lot of sound cards today, including some onboard sound, has good enough output to set up a surround sound system.
    I sorta agree with that. As true as that is.. I always tend to avoid onboard antyhing. First its unncessary clutter on the mobo.. Secondly.. its one less thing the northbridge/cpu has to control..

Most any 5.1 capable card will get the job done.

i know this thread is a bit old but you an buy speaker systems that plug into the line out plug on your motherboard and have a built in decoder to make 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 surround systems. although i prefer the method that you are using, i have a 7.1 suround sound Hitachi system attached to my optical out...

even though my mother board is capable of 7.1 as well
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

Thread Information