Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: DVD +/- differences

Default DVD +/- differences

I came across a console DVD burner yesterday at Wal-Mart. The box indicated it used "+" technology. I seem to remember a few years back that CD burners went through the same "plus" "minus" deal before some type of standard was reached. Are the DVD burners experiencing the same thing?

Default Re: DVD +/- differences

Never heard of +\-'s on CD burners but yes DVD's have two formats and if you plan on buying a DVD burner then get one that supports both formats.

Maybe I am confused, maybe it was the pc dvd burners that I was thinking of instead of cd burners.
    This unit is a console type for the television, but it does not support both formats. I guess as long as you match the dvd recorder format with the right type of dvd, everything is okay.:)

To my understanding DVD-R's are usualy used for DVD audio, data, and such, Where as DVD+R's are used for video. Of coarse I could be wrong, I dont realy have any need to burn DVD's.
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

Apparently the DVD+R format also has better compatibility with dvd players, which would explain why it is used for video. Though i have burned several dvd movies on DVD-R discs and played them in 3 different dvd players without problem.

Its just 2 different competing formats just like in the old days of video tape where you had VHS and Beta but of cause back then Beta lost the fight.

Thread Information